Marlboro show... not looking good [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Marlboro show... not looking good

juro
12-10-2002, 07:17 AM
Well there doesn't seem to be a lot of energy behind the Marlboro show this year among us. Light interest in the auctions, a handful of replies to posts about the show, I have no crystal ball but if I were to read things now I would say it looks pretty bleak and it's a month away.

But please keep in mind that you don't lose anything by participating in an auction and we have a lot ahead of us this coming year. As I mentioned before the plan is to re-earn the booth fees at the show, and roll this funding over into the casting clave, the Seattle show, and finally the dedicated server which will bring us up to the current demands of traffic and storage space. The shows increase our perception, which increases our membership, which increases our sponsorships, which increase our capabilities and reduces our fundraising activities. The site is a shared resource, this may be a northeast activity, but it benefits everybody not just the northeast just as the Seattle show will benefit everybody (for instance look at the sponsors brought in from the PNW members).

Or we can roll backwards and start restricting things more and more to match our budget, and struggle to meet the ever-growing bandwidth and diskspace demands by holding 'bake sales'. Frankly, I am tiring of that after years of doing it.

It's really up to you, we vote with our actions. We will have to decide by tomorrow whether the Marlboro show is in the cards or not.

striblue
12-10-2002, 09:54 AM
Juro, I got your voice mail and left you a message ..I will try you again later.. You can count on me to man the booth all day on Saturday and 1/2 on Sunday... I will also help with any short fall on the cost as I am sure some other will pitch in. It looks doable to me with the amount of the short fall your message stated.

juro
12-10-2002, 09:56 AM
Just got a new sponsorship agreement this morning, so we are a lot closer to starting this snowball rolling in Marlboro in January instead of Seattle in February! Let's see what we can pull together by tomorrow.

Thanks for the response John.

Dble Haul
12-10-2002, 10:29 AM
Juro- I can help out manning the booth on both Saturday and/or Sunday as needed. I can also help pitch in with whatever our financial shortfall now is leading up to the show.

Let's do this!

Smcdermott
12-10-2002, 11:28 AM
I can help either day at the show.

Hawkeye
12-10-2002, 11:33 AM
I will do booth duty on Saturday and Sunday all day, both days if needed. Does the show start on Friday? If so I could probably manage time for that as well. Count me in for taking up the slack financially as well.

jared
12-10-2002, 11:40 AM
the show does indeed start on Friday....I should be able to offer some time on Saturday (in-between the UFT Beginners table)...

--j

Quentin
12-10-2002, 11:41 AM
If the Forum does have a booth at the show I will definitely be able to help man the booth on one of the days, but I'm not sure if I want to drive out there two or three days in a row. If you plan to be there on Friday I may be able to help that day.

Q

Nick
12-10-2002, 09:54 PM
Juro,
Want me to grab some boxes again? I'm really hoping to make it to the show this year (never been) and if I do, I'd love to help out any way possible.

Nick

Eddie
12-10-2002, 09:59 PM
I would be happy to work the show too. Maybe on Friday. It seems that man power is not the issue.
A few questions then: How many new members did we net from the last show(wild guess?). Did the last show raise money? Cover expenses? How much does the Forum need for this specific show? Is it worth it?
I had a great time at the last two, made some new friends and put some names to faces, but maybe the money would be better spent on a new server?
Oh, I had an idea. Maybe a deal with the show promoters could be stuck trading advertisment for some of the rent.

Smcdermott
12-10-2002, 10:37 PM
Eddie,
I don't know how many members we gained from the shows, but I know that if it wasn't for meeting Juro at the Wilmington show I probably wouldn't have found the forum. I don't know that you can place a monetary value on helping a newbie find such a valuable resource. With that said, it would be a major blow to my daily routine if the sites server went down.

Sean

Slinger
12-11-2002, 01:06 AM
Count on me to help in any way possible. If you need help on Fri., Sat. or Sun. I`ll be there, Just let me know. Being financialy challenged, I can`t offer any cash, but if a couple of dozen boxed flies would help I`d be glad to provide them.
Slinger

juro
12-11-2002, 06:25 AM
In case I didn't make it clear in my previous attempts, the show is an event that is paid for then re-couperated thru donations for participating in the events and raffles we hold. For example, we recovered 75-80% of the costs on the floor with the help of those attending the tying sessions with pro's like (in order of schedule last year): Rich Soriano, Stan Mackerwicz, Ray Stacheleck, Harry Koons, Gil Berke, Todd Murphy, Art Sawayer, etc.

Then when you add the sponsorships and memberships we gained from the show visibility, we exceeded 100% returns easily.

These funds are then rolled over into the next event, which has the onus of recouperating the fees as well, thus the net loss is really ZERO and the net gain is not measurable in terms of dollars and cents. We are really not about dollars and cents anyway - if so I would have abandoned this a long time ago for the $$ I've lost personally during the start-up year and a half.

SUMMARY:

- the cost of the show is recouperated and rolled into the next event

- after the last event we use what we have to pay the setup fee and higher monthly cost of the soon-to-be dedicated server

- we get all this done before May... you know why! Hopefully we can cruise through the season until next winter.

QUESTIONS?

Originally posted by Eddie
I would be happy to work the show too. Maybe on Friday. It seems that man power is not the issue.
A few questions then: How many new members did we net from the last show(wild guess?). Did the last show raise money? Cover expenses? How much does the Forum need for this specific show? Is it worth it?
I had a great time at the last two, made some new friends and put some names to faces, but maybe the money would be better spent on a new server?
Oh, I had an idea. Maybe a deal with the show promoters could be stuck trading advertisment for some of the rent.

juro
12-11-2002, 06:31 AM
BTW - Thanks to a new sponsorship from a soon-to-be announced sponsor, we have gained 25% of the show cost overnight!

I am making a proposal to my partner at EMEDIA to sponsor the balance in exchange for promotion at the booth, stay tuned.

I should change the title of this thread to:

"Looking much better but we need to hurry"

THANKS ALL!

Adrian
12-11-2002, 10:35 AM
I will be there!

Wife is headed to the UK that week-end so I'm thinking of staying over. :smokin:

Anyone interested in getting together Saturday evening?

It would be nice to sit back, tip a glass or two and chat about seasons past and to come;)

Dble Haul
12-11-2002, 10:59 AM
Adrian, I was thinking of staying over too. Let's see if anyone else from out of state will be doing the same, and then see what kind of trouble we can get into. :devil:

Eddie
12-11-2002, 11:55 AM
I was only trying to get an idea of what needs to be done to make the show happen. So how much money do we need? What sevices are necessary? How many volenteers for each day? What kinds of "stuff/gear" do we need to borrow? I suspect the intrest is there, so what do we need to do to make it happen?
I know that Juro has too much on his plate already, so I hope I'm not asking too much, but the sooner responsibilities can be divided up, the easier it will be.
Juro, call me today

Quentin
12-11-2002, 10:17 PM
What if any plans are in the works for raising funds at the show? Are we doing the fly tying sessions again? Maybe a raffle or two?

I have an idea for a raffle: A selection of "go to" flies contributed by members. That is, anyone who wants to help out could send in one (or more) of their "go to" flies -- the first fly that they tie on when they hit the water -- and we raffle them off at the show. If enough people donate flies then they could be divided into various categories like saltwater, trout, salmon and warmwater. Donors could include a piece of paper with the name of the fly, the category, and the conditions when they would use that fly. What do you think? Would this work? Would it be too cumbersome to organize?

Q

juro
12-11-2002, 10:51 PM
Great idea Quentin - and you can be the fly raffle organizer! :)

Of course if you can't be there both days we will cover but you deserve the credit and the right to draw the lucky winner.

I wonder if we can get a nice display case... John, where did you get those ones recently?

BTW - yes, we are working out the fly tying session roster as we speak.

P.S. - on the confidence of the recent auctions, I have put the show onto a personal credit card - but please help me get the booth fees back in hand before the boss (wife) gets the statement! :tsk_tsk:

striblue
12-11-2002, 11:25 PM
Juro,I can get them at Micheals and will do so..let me know how many we will need... we have time to get those....But I will take care of that.

Slinger
12-12-2002, 12:45 AM
I will definitly be at the show Sat. and Sun. if you want me to tie let me know. I`ll be bringing 1 doz. of my finest, boxed and ready for auction.
Slinger

Quentin
12-12-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by juro
Great idea Quentin - and you can be the fly raffle organizer! :)

I'd be happy to give it a whirl. Seems like we should be able to get enough donations to put together at least a couple of fly boxes. I'll start a new thread in each of the major forums and see what we can get for donations. I can also print up the raffle tickets.

Q

JimW
12-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Q, Count me in for a doz. or two. PM me your mailing address and I'll get them off to you before the show.

Hawkeye
12-12-2002, 11:40 AM
I'll throw in 6 each of my go to trout fly, flats striper fly, and rip striper fly.

Dble Haul
12-12-2002, 01:07 PM
I'll pitch in with half a dozen of a smallmouth pattern and half a dozen of a shad/weakfish pattern.

Any excuse to tie more flies! :p

Quentin
12-13-2002, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to start some new threads about this so the responses don't get lost in the shuffle.

Q