Wulff TT? Rio Q'shooter? Teeny Kreh? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wulff TT? Rio Q'shooter? Teeny Kreh?

floete
12-09-2002, 04:01 PM
I'm looking for a relatively short-headed saltwater floating line for my 9'-10wt Temple Fork rod, which will be fished mostly in RI and 50/50 from shore and out of a yak. I've come up with three suitable lines, the Wulff saltwater Triangle Taper, the Rio Quickshooter, and Teeny's Lefty Kreh pro line.
Opinions here anyone?
In the past few days, I've been collecting reviews elsewhere around the net and have heard the following about each of the three:

Quickshooter: that it's designed for 50' casts with 1 backcast, and not much beyond. If true, I'd count this line out. Anyway, so far, that's about the only thing I've read about this one.

Teeny's Kreh: not much on this one either, except that those who have used it, love it, and that it's great in both cold and warm water, which is important to me. It's said to be heavy for its line size, which is a good thing.

Wulff Triangle Taper. More, of course, has been written about this line, some of it conflicting. The consensus seems to be that you really need to have a fair amount of line out to it to load up properly; or you need to upload the rod by 1 weight; or you need to cut 5' to 10' off the foward taper, which will also help turn over bigger flies.
Some people have strongly suggested that you don't upload the rod.
One person has said it's good in both warm and cold waters; but in general people say that in warm water it tends to turn into a no-good limp noodle.
This makes me ask: what's warm? Is RI water in the summer warm? Or is Florida water what is meant by warm water?

All help and suggestions appreciated. I am a total beginner, so trying all three lines out and going with the one best suited to my style is not an option, since I don't have a style and wouldn't know a ``right'' line if it hit me in the head, which on my first cast all three would probably do anyway.

juro
12-09-2002, 04:26 PM
Are you fishing an intermediate, sinking head or floater?

floete
12-09-2002, 07:35 PM
floater. didn't I say floater? think I did in the first sentence. but if not, yup, that's it: floater!

Slinger
12-10-2002, 12:59 AM
I`ve got a Wulff TT that I picked up last spring and I absolutly love it. If I told how far I can throw it people would call me a liar!
Slinger

FishHawk
12-10-2002, 05:23 AM
Take a look at the Cortland saltwter floating lines. Go at least one line size up ,works for me. Also went to the Cortland store and got a discontinued Bass Bug line 12wt for $13.00 works great. FishHawk:smokin: