Greater Midwest Fly Show - Chicago [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Greater Midwest Fly Show - Chicago

pmflyfisher
12-09-2002, 12:27 PM
fyi

Jan 11th & 12th - Oak Brook - Illinois

Who is planning on attending ?

National and local vendors will be there looks like Ross, T+T, Rio, and Ross all of which are Fly Fishing Forumn sponsors will be in attendance.

Jim and Don Teeny, Matt Supinski, Davey Wotton among other experts will be there and present sessions I suppose.

Maybe I will actually meet in the flesh a member of the forumn at this event, now thats scary. :whoa: :chuckle:

http://www.greatermidwestshow.com/index.htm

removed_by_request
12-10-2002, 11:26 PM
I'll be there on Sunday, if you want to meet let me know.

pmflyfisher
12-11-2002, 09:32 PM
Ok will see, Sunday may also be better for me, Bears will not be in the play offs so we don't have to worry about NFL play off games again this year.

fredaevans
12-11-2002, 09:52 PM
events. The San Mateo (did I get close to the selling--Edit here: selling?? well ment to say spelling; mental slip or no, well over a 'grand' changed hands) Joan got close to flipping out when she saw the credit card charges. New wife and all that. :devil:

Should have added this was about 1984-5 and one of the rods was my first Sage Spey. A few minutes on the casting pond and the 'card' was in my hand. Told Sage guy he sold the (well, actually two) rods if he'd toss in the Sage hat.

He did, I did, and I still 'sport' the hat - Fred's trademark? - on the river, still have the rod. Prior to then (a lot of years!) the first/last spey rod was a greenheart from my early years in Canada.
:D

removed_by_request
12-11-2002, 11:28 PM
Unless you are playing it (Football) no real reason to waste a Sunday.

All that is left now is Super Sunday and a couple of bowl games.

No big deal if you don't show, I go every year any way.

pmflyfisher
12-14-2002, 05:36 PM
Fred

Thats why I normally stay away from these shows the temptations are to great. But have not been to one in a few years due mainly to work (out of town) and family. I will say hello to Mr. Teeny for you. Want to check out the latest things in his line since my fly shops here don't appear to carry it any more.

Mark

Will probably be there sunday, I think they have the same sessions saturday and sunday, will have to see when the schedule is posted. Will keep checking the web site.

Anybody else planning on showing up ? I think its just me, you, and Smolt here in Chicago but I could be wrong on that.

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-14-2002, 08:09 PM
The spey boyz from Milwaukee always make an appearance.

Unless there is Steel to be had.

Smolt
12-15-2002, 10:29 PM
I was there either last uear or the year before (the year Flip Pallot was there). I plan on attending again this year. I would like to make it the same day PM decides to go. I have no preference as to whether it is Saturday or Sunday, but Sunday would most likely be easier for me. (I have lunch with my brother almost every Saturday.)

pmflyfisher
12-15-2002, 11:14 PM
OK I'm penciling in Sunday. Not sure if they have the same speaker sessions on each day. Keep checking the web site for the schedule of sessions.

PM Out

Smolt
12-16-2002, 10:13 AM
I'll wear a red carnation.

removed_by_request
12-16-2002, 10:15 AM
Most of those sessions get pretty boring, I usually go to play with the fly gear and such.

Also it is neat to watch some of the masters cast on the pond. Just think, you'll get a chance to cast a T&T spey if you wish.

pmflyfisher
12-16-2002, 10:18 AM
Really, I thought it would be a Miramachi salmon fly.

Maybe I will wear my new spey fly pin of one of my own custom steelhead patterns that was made for me by a member of the board ?

Heck, I might even put it on my Fly Fishing Forumn khacki baseball hat. It is a fluor green fly and I think it would look cool. Have to think about that.

removed_by_request
12-16-2002, 10:35 AM
Why not carry a sign stating I'm lost and can't find my beer.

pmflyfisher
12-16-2002, 11:13 AM
Do GL fly fishers still drink beer ?

removed_by_request
12-16-2002, 11:52 AM
If it's a good micro-brew or a nice tasty stout. Scotch is meant for the fireside at home not to be wasted in a paper cup. perhaps a tip from a flask riverside, but just a tip.

pmflyfisher
12-16-2002, 12:53 PM
Do you want to drink out of my steelheader flask which has had courvesier in it for 15 years now ? I am afraid to any more but I still have it. Don't think my heart could take it like it did 15 years ago on cold michigan winter mornings.:chuckle:

PM Out

Smolt
12-16-2002, 01:09 PM
I never developed a taste for the hard stuff, but I do like an ale or two every now and then. My favorites are Geary's Ale out of Portland, ME, the India Pale Ale brewed and served at RAM in Shaumberg and Wheeling, IL, and Guiness Stout.

While I never drank very many at a sitting, now that I am watching my waistline, one or two in a day, once or twice a week, is about my maximum rate of consumption. On a fishing trip, of course, where I would be getting much more strenuous exercise than is my norm, I am sure I would imbibe more often. (You really burn up the calories chasing Atlantic Salmon. I have yet to fish for or catch a steelhead, so I can't compare the "burn rate".)

pmflyfisher
12-16-2002, 04:48 PM
Aaah the RAM in Schaumburg I can see it from my office window now.

Steelheading has a high calorie burn rate. Especially after you hook one, watch your backing speed away and start chasing them through deep bend pools and log jams, etc.... :smokin: :smokin:

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-16-2002, 07:36 PM
If you like stouts, Bells from Michigan makes two both so thick you could float a bottle on it. Also Mad river brewing co. in Ca. makes a Steelhead Stout that is really nice.
New Glarus brewing co also makes some tasty brews.

A good day of steel fishing equals 6 frosty treats and a dram of nectar to ease the aches

pmflyfisher
12-27-2002, 10:33 AM
No schedule of speakers or events yet, what are they waiting for it is only two weeks away.

MS will be there want to hear his session for sure, right now have Sunday penciled in but if he speaks on Saturday will have to go then.

Several forumn sponsors will be there Rio, Ross, T+T, etc., check it out on the web link above.

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-27-2002, 11:04 AM
MS has been there the last couple of years, both days.

I am pretty sure he spoke on both of them also, never attended so I can't say for sure.

pmflyfisher
12-27-2002, 11:12 AM
Check out his web site he has updated it with his opinion on our current runs. Sounds plausible.

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-27-2002, 11:17 AM
Not a big MS fan, having him roar by in his jet boat and swamp you tends to do that.

Sorry

pmflyfisher
12-27-2002, 11:59 AM
Never experienced that. But I understand, did he beat you to favored pool/run ?

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-27-2002, 12:40 PM
No we beat him, got here at 4am he didn't like bankies fishing his river.

So he motored around from bank to bank stirring up the river and making hellish wakes. Poor bastard didn't realize he pushed a mother lode pod of steel into a pool 30' off shore.

We sore mouthed them for hours after he finally realized we were not going to give up his spot.

pmflyfisher
12-27-2002, 02:34 PM
LOL, :chuckle: :chuckle:

Done the same to other guides on the PM.

I have heard some of the Michigan guides call non drift boaters,
"bank maggots". That was from a very good source who used to guide in Michigan. It was a different well known guide up there and lodge owner though.

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-27-2002, 03:33 PM
I didn't want to use that term. Funny thing when you are with the guide you aren't a maggot. But if they spy you on the bank 2 days later he mutters bank maggots to his new maggots er clients.

The PM has way too many guides for my taste, such a small beautiful river hosting all those noisy boats. Scraping the redds when they go over them.

Guess you can tell I have no fondness for PM guides. The Mo' and Big M. is another story.

West Mich
12-28-2002, 10:23 AM
Matt's always gone well out of his way to avoid disrupting my fishing. He'll slow his sled and float tight behind me or far across to avoid disturbing my pool. While I'm not a fan of his or care for all his hype, I want to stand up here for him on this issue. He's a gentleman and professional on the river. I've encountered him many more times on the river than any of you. I've never witnessed him behave poorly towards other anglers.

Repeat clients are the mainstay of any good guide. I cannot imagine any guides I know insulting anglers when they're not with him. The only unprofessional guides I've met are non-locals or amateur part timers. You guys need to fish more and talk less.

pmflyfisher
12-28-2002, 01:03 PM
West Mich

I've never seen MS on the rivers I fish,so don't know anything about him really, only hear say. I have seen many other guides though most of which did not bother me although I could tell when I was in the area they wanted to fish they were not pleased.

Its true there are way too many guides and DBs on the PM scraping through the redds etc...

If we did not have to work for a living I would be fishing more just wait until we are retired, than you will have to contend with us on the rivers up there which we both know very well. :devil:

Hey maybe we will become guides what do you think MJYP ?

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-28-2002, 03:57 PM
Well then MS was having a bad day. My tale is not fancy just fact.

I can't change history, as you can't. This will only start an argument which I don't want. You had a good experience I had a bad one. I can only judge by my experience not yours. As you can only judge by your experience not mine. If the situations were reversed you and I would see a different view.

WM cool your bloody jets, enjoy what you have, for I like Hal will retire and fish the hell out of your rivers. I also won't be 65 when I do retire.

Hal,

Wouldn't want to guide too many bank magg.... dealing with some clients could be a pain. They all expect fish to jump in the boat. Also at times the brotherhood of guides is not a friendly lot.

pmflyfisher
12-29-2002, 03:52 PM
Agree, plus I would have to indicator fish so I could get the rookie steelheaders into fish. Not my style nor do I have the patience for that.

Pm Out

removed_by_request
12-29-2002, 07:03 PM
Bobber fishinf with a spey rod is pretty big on the PM amongst the more storied guides.

Would rather use a center pin reel and proper rod as opposed to disgracing a spey rod like that.

Lipripper
12-30-2002, 11:03 PM
He he he...I like bobber fishin!!!:devil:
Although, I am in the process of building a new bobber rod. 10'6" 6W. Now my 12'6" 7W will be dedicated to sink tips only. Gotta give me a little credit. I may be a bobber maggot...but at least I am a wannaby sink tip guy.:rolleyes:
As for MS...my experiences change with him everytime I see him. One day he pulls some s**t thats just plain rude.....the next he is going out of his way to be ultra considerate. It just depends. I can diffinately say that there are worse. Especially on "his" river.

LR

pmflyfisher
12-30-2002, 11:40 PM
Lipripper,

Will see MS at the Chicago show in January.

Got some new material for the shrimp series.

"Light Brite" give it a try, comes in some cool shrimp colors.

That egg fly sinks like a rock and my new popsicle show girl series looks good. Maybe I will let you see them in our secret fly swap, ehhh ? :cool:

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-31-2002, 08:13 AM
LR,

Guess I was lucky when I saw MS, he was not at his best.

I'd rather he moved to the PNW to pester those guys out there. No more chuck n duck for him.

pmflyfisher
01-04-2003, 12:14 PM
Ok the schedule of speakers has been posted.

MS speaks at 11 at Saturday on GL steelhead and salmon and then sunday PM on open water steelhead.

I am leaning towards saturday.

Pm Out

http://www.greatermidwestshow.com/Itinerary.htm

removed_by_request
01-04-2003, 01:35 PM
Too bad, heading up Sunday with a couple of friends.

pmflyfisher
01-06-2003, 10:33 AM
Yes Saturday looks like the better day for me, wife is a real estate broker and has an open house to do next sunday PM so she wants me at home.

Who else will be their Saturday ?

Will get their first thing in the morning.

PM Out

Smolt
01-06-2003, 10:45 AM
My usual Saturday lunch with my brother will have to be sacrifced to the fishing gods. I will be there on Saturday too, hopefully when the doors open.

Where should we try to meet? How do you recommend make ourselves recognizable to each other? (A red carnation between the teeth seems a bit extreme. I am, however, willing to stick a yellow Post-It on my jacket.)

pmflyfisher
01-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Smolt (Charles),

Great look forward to meeting my first forumn member in the flesh. What time does it open ?

Lets meet at the entrance, I will be the 40ish looking guy with the cool camoflauge thinsulate fishing hat on. :cool:

MJYP, we will take good notes for you on the MS session.

Any one else going on Saturday ?

PM Out

Smolt
01-06-2003, 01:31 PM
The doors are scheduled to open at 9am. Look for a spry 61-year old wearing a beat-up Sydney Olympics hat. (I didn't go to Sydney. The hat was a gift.)

removed_by_request
01-06-2003, 01:53 PM
You can save the notes, it would be a shame to waste all that good paper.

pmflyfisher
01-06-2003, 02:21 PM
Thats right, I forgot you read the book. :devil:

PM Out

removed_by_request
01-06-2003, 02:54 PM
More like I helped him write it!!!:D

Matbe he can autograph yours.:smokin:

pmflyfisher
01-07-2003, 10:58 AM
MJYP (Mark)

Your right, I was thinking of bringing my copy and asking for an autograph. What do you think ?

Smolt (Charles)

I will be wearing my Fly Fishing Forumn khacki hat and blue patagonia jacket. Meet you at the door at 9 AM no later than 9:15.

Look forward to meeting my first forumn member in the "flesh".

Pm Out

removed_by_request
01-07-2003, 12:40 PM
I am sure he will autograph it for you, he is very cordial to his adoring fans.:devil:

removed_by_request
01-08-2003, 11:35 AM
Hal,

I just looked at the schedule for the show, MS is not speaking at 11am on Saturday, in fact he is not speaking on Saturday at all.

Time Pond Seminar Tying Class
9:00 Show opens
9:30 Jim Teeny . .
10:00 . Brad Befus
Carp - Bonefish of the Midwest Davey Wotton
Effective Wetflies & Techniques
10:30 . . .
11:00 . Dustin Harley
A Year on the St. Joe River .
11:30 Tim Rajeff . .
12:00 . Bill Sherer Muskie - The Big Fish on a Fly Brad Befus
Effective Patterns
12:30 . . .
1:00 . Bart &Tim Landweir
Driftboat Flyfishing .
1:30 Donna Teeny . .
2:00 . Tim Holschlag Smallmouth Tips and Tactics Chris Helm
Advanced Deerhair
Techniques
2:30 . . .
3:00 . Jerry Kustish Places I Have Fished .
3:30 Jim Teeny .. Jon Uhlenhop
Beginning Spey Flies
4:00 . Davy Wotton Advanced Stream Techniques .
4:30 . . .
5:00 Tim Rajeff .. ..
5:30 . . .
6:00 Show Closes

On Sunday January 12th

During the course of the show there will be a youth casting clinic sponsored by Sage Fly Rod Manufacturers.

Time Pond Seminar Tying Class
9:00 Show opens
9:30 Tim Rajeff . .
10:00 . Bill Greiner
Classic Atlantic Salmon Fishing Bill Sherer
Mastering the Muskie Fly
10:30 . . .
11:00 . Dave Blackburn
The Montana Experience .
11:30 Donna Teeny . .
12:00 . Jerry Darkes
Fish more water with Sinking Lines Chris Helm
Deerhair Tips and Techniques
12:30 . . .
1:00 . Tim Holschlag
Smallmouth Tips and Techniques .
1:30 Jim Teeny . .
2:00 . Mat Supinski
Open Water Steelhead Fishing Davey Wotton
New Baitfish/Shad pattern
2:30 .. .. ..
3:00 . . .
3:30 . . .
4:00 Show Closes

He speaks Sunday at 2pm.

Smolt
01-08-2003, 12:38 PM
This is a change from yesterday or the day before when I last read the "Itinerary".

It looks like no one will be speaking about GL trib fishing.

[PM]

I assume that this does not change your schedule, i.e., that you will be attending on Saturday?

CK

removed_by_request
01-08-2003, 01:58 PM
Dustan F. will be talking about the lovely St. Joe and her tribs.

pmflyfisher
01-08-2003, 02:44 PM
Yes thats what it looks like but I am committed to Saturday with the big boss (wife) so thats what it will have to be for me.

I could use some more tips on the Joe and tribs I guess. Maybe will hit the carp fly fishing seminar.

Charles if you want to go Sunday to hear the other GL steelhead speakers which would probably be very informative for you, feel free to do it.

I am used to travelling soley as a solitary fly fisher, etc...

No big thing, will just have to wait longer to meet a forumn member in the flesh.

Let me know what you decide.

PM Out

Smolt
01-08-2003, 04:55 PM
PM

I still plan to meet you on Saturday, at the entrance no later than 9:15 am. I doubt there will be a change, but if there is, I will let you know

CK

pmflyfisher
01-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Charles,

OK, confirmed

PM Out

removed_by_request
01-08-2003, 10:18 PM
They guy tying the spey flies is worth a look. Stop by and check him out.