new guys [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: new guys

SDHflyfisher
12-07-2002, 12:46 PM
all the new guys to this forum should post there selves on the mebers profile forum at the bottom it is nice to let everyone know a little about you

pmflyfisher
12-08-2002, 02:33 PM
I have not done it yet, been here 13 months and 1800 posts later, every one probably knows more about me through my posts then they ever wanted to know. :devil:

What do you think should be included in the member's profile?

Just fly fishing related information such as your FF background and current fisheries or also non fishing related information like profession, family and other subjects of value to the person, etc...

fredaevans
12-08-2002, 03:42 PM
'yes' to your suggestion(s). I find it most helpful to know a bit about the folks who write on the board. Gives the individual a "personality" other than just a name (which many don't use anyway).
fae

SDHflyfisher
12-09-2002, 03:47 PM
I don't use my real name but sdh are my initials. i use the name for everything on the internet. my real name is Sean D. Hansen. i find it easier to talk w/ some one if you know something about them. as you all know i am alight line trout FF. The profile should include any thing the person wants to put in it. the basics should be area fishing, species, and any thing else.

SDHflyfisher
02-04-2003, 07:32 PM
i figured i should bring this up again since the only person to do it was coho and i know there are new members coming in every day

pmflyfisher
02-04-2003, 08:14 PM
I'm waiting for Freds auto biography before I do mine all in one post.

PM Out

P.S. SDHflyfisher you have the makings of a good fly fisher you don't give up easily.:D

removed_by_request
02-04-2003, 08:23 PM
All of that data will eat up valuable server space. Lets limit it to 10 words or less.:smokin:

Just me
02-04-2003, 11:24 PM
I write what my hobbies are and I fly fish because I like it. Beyond all that I don't think that I will ever meet any of you Beside I like the mystery of it all. I'm also retarted,oops retired. But some people would think other wise.

Jim

BobK
02-05-2003, 06:41 AM
I liked the motto on your post.

It reminds me of the old saying... "The mind is the second thing to go. What's the first? I dunno - I forgot!"

BobK

fredaevans
02-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
I'm waiting for Freds auto biography before I do mine all in one post.

PM Out

P.S. SDHflyfisher you have the makings of a good fly fisher you don't give up easily.:D

Only things that's changed (and I did that) was to correct my 'location' from Medford to the max. security lock up location at Pelican Bay.
:hehe:
fae

moosestang
02-05-2003, 02:55 PM
Wait, gimme a minute I'll remember really I will, it's on the tip of my tongue....lost it :( :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

SDHflyfisher
02-05-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by pmflyfisher

yeah i know, and my parents hate that about me

pmflyfisher
02-05-2003, 03:18 PM
SDhflyfisher

Thats a great character trait and what I tell my three sons.

"Never ever ever give up" - Winston Churchill speech during the WWII.

One of mottos through out my life for the things I determine are worth achieving or fighting for.

PM Out

SDHflyfisher
02-05-2003, 03:25 PM
i think my parents mistake it with stubberness. but that is what my dad taught me to do never give up. and by the way am i the only FFer here that doesn't own a spey rod?

BobK
02-05-2003, 05:55 PM
No, you're not the only person without a spey rod. On many rivers, you don't need them, and they are NOT an answer for all fishing, rivers and conditions.

I have been flyfishin' for over just over 60 years, and just two months ago got my first Spey rod, but only because I now fish a few rivers for steelhead that are large enough rivers, and for the advantages of length in controlling and "mending" line while indicator fishing with nymphs. But they are NOT a panacea for all of the ills of the world.

Incidentally, I wouldn't use a spey rod for classic dry fly fishing, standard nymphing or for smaller streams (less than 90 to 100 feet) fishing - except maybe at gunpoint. They aren't really suited to that purpose.

In fact, if the truth be known, the closer you can get to a fish without spooking it, the better chance you have of making a perfect presentation and catching it! (I learned THAT when I was about ten years old, and it has worked many times, much to the consternation of my fishing partners

BTW, you really don't have to know much about the people you correspond with - just say what you feel, and don't be worried.
Regardless of whether we may, in our "other" life, be students, or unemployed, or janitors, or factory workers, or engineers, scientists, or "chairman of the board", here we are all just fishermen.

BobK

pmflyfisher
02-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Bobk

Very well said and right on about spey fishing. I just got my first spey a year ago. They have their applications but as Bob says are not the tool for all trout and salmon fly fishing situations. Great line control and mending tool for the nymphing techniques I use for steelhead though.

PM Out

removed_by_request
02-05-2003, 08:04 PM
I enjoy the spey rod for the casting. Nothing like watching a single or double spey going out and turning over. The perfect cast is my quest.

I spend Saturday and Sunday at a non steelhead/trout/salmon river just casting.

When you get the perfect loop behind you loading the rod, then the nice tight loop up front laying your fly out. It's a great feeling.:D

peter-s-c
02-05-2003, 08:35 PM
I gave in - mine's posted.

be gentle.

pmflyfisher
02-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Start reading from my post # 1 to the present post 2,500+ and you will know all about me.

PM Out

P.S. I will check out Peters though, I must have missed it last year!

removed_by_request
02-05-2003, 10:11 PM
You could have done it in 500 posts or less.:D

BobK
02-05-2003, 11:18 PM
If the BS was "netted" (as in "net weight"), it would probably be said in about 10 posts! :hehe: :hehe:

(Thanks for the "eisangeln" e-mail, Hal - I really enjoyed it!)
Send a copy to mjyp!

BobK