Nantucket 7/5 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Nantucket 7/5

shane
07-05-2001, 11:39 PM
Okay John, you introduced me to the sight and requested my reports here, so here you go, enjoy....

Things seem to have slowed down out here over the week, but that does not mean that there aren't fish around, you just have to look a little harder for them. I was out on the beach everday this week and we managed to land fish on every trip. Tuesday morning we landed 2 "keepers" from the beach out around 1st Point in Coatue. That afternoon, I somehow managed a small fluke on a deciever on the outside of Great Point. We had some tricky weather around the Fourth but right around sunrise we took two more stripers around the Chord of the Bay and saw 2 small sharks cruising the surf line at our feet. Earlier in the week I was out with a friend on Great Point in the wee hours of the morning. Before the sun came up, I saw a dozen stripers cruising in the surf and we managed to land 3 of them before the sun came up and scared them into deeper water. My week ended with stripers slamming sand eels in the surf along the Galls. My client was having so much fun that he called his wife from the car to tell her he was going to be late for dinner, and he managed to get his first striper on the fly, he didn't land it but he did have it on. It feels good to see a man that happy being out there in the surf.
The boats have been having a hard week to, with a couple of days called due to high winds and rough seas. There are a lot of stripers holding in the rips off the west end and around the outer islands and all the bluefish that you could want off the south shore.
I've switched over to sand eel patterns or when in doubt, I've started fishing a chartruese bead chain clouser. I've also found that if there are fish around, going to a smaller fly before changing patterns has often made all the difference. Call in well and come on down for some of the best fishing ever....

Hawkeye
07-06-2001, 07:36 AM
Good report Shane. I can't see getting to Nantucket but it is fun reading about it. Having seen sharks in the surf, have you ever tried for them on the fly? I've got this thing about doing that this season and would love any pointers.

Roop
07-06-2001, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the report Shane and welcome.

striblue
07-06-2001, 11:00 AM
Shane... thanks for that post and our only representative from Nantucket with what's happening over there. Maybe I could hook up with you if I ever get there ...without the family... I can take the Harwich boat which is close to me in Chatham... Your posts are very informative. Welcome

juro
07-06-2001, 11:21 AM
Welcome Shane, I'll be on that ferry with John. I haven't fished on Nantucket since before I moved out west in the early 80's. Can't wait, keep us tuned in to the island and the cold one's are on us when we arrive.

Lefty
07-06-2001, 11:43 AM
I would join John and Juro on that Harwich boat. How would you get around over there. Any car rentals? Do they open at 4:00 am?
I smell a clave...

Lefty

shane
07-09-2001, 10:09 PM
Well thanks for the welcome folks, it's nice to know that someone is reading these things. I was off island on family business this weekend otherwise I would have responded sooner.
I'll be around for the rest of the summer now. If anyone wants to head out drop me a line and I'll give you the latest news or mmet up with you if I can shake lose of whatever I'm doing here. A word to the uninitiated, renting a car is now about $150 a day but they do have all the beach passes. Anyway, let me know and I'll be glad to help you out however I can.
To update last weeks report for now, the first Bonito of the year was landed off Great Point on one of Capt. Tom's boats, and others were spotted out in the channel near Smith's Point...
Have fun and be careful...

juro
07-10-2001, 08:35 AM
shane (07-09-2001 10:09 p.m.):
To update last weeks report for now, the first Bonito of the year was landed off Great Point on one of Capt. Tom's boats, and others were spotted out in the channel near Smith's Point...

YEAH BABY!!!

steve moore
07-10-2001, 02:03 PM
It's not difficult to fish Nantucket for the day from the mainland. I have clients who do it with me every summer. You can take the first ferry in the morning from either Hyannis or Harwich. Most get you to the island by 6 or 7 a.m.. I usually meet them in the boat and they hop off the ferry and right onto my boat. Then it's off to the races (usually the flats or bonito bar)! There's a ferry back to Harwich at 4:00 or 4:30, or another later one at like 7:30 or 8:00 that would let you get some eats right downtown. I imagine Shane could do with his truck the same thing I do with the boat. The problem is I think Shane's probably a little more reliant on the low-light hours when the ferries aren't running.

shane
07-10-2001, 06:18 PM
You are so right Steve, I don't have much truoble with early hours or fog, but it is a b*#@h to get the Expedition out to the Bonito Bar, Ford frowns on me doing that with their nice new truck...

Craig
07-10-2001, 07:38 PM
YEAH BABY!!! Bonitos!!! Thanks for the report Shane. Hey guys let me know when the boat leaves from Harwich. I sure would like to make the trip.

juro
07-11-2001, 10:52 AM
steve moore (07-10-2001 02:03 p.m.):
It's not difficult to fish Nantucket for the day from the mainland. I have clients who do it with me every summer. You can take the first ferry in the morning from either Hyannis or Harwich. Most get you to the island by 6 or 7 a.m.. I usually meet them in the boat and they hop off the ferry and right onto my boat. Then it's off to the races (usually the flats or bonito bar)! There's a ferry back to Harwich at 4:00 or 4:30, or another later one at like 7:30 or 8:00 that would let you get some eats right downtown. I imagine Shane could do with his truck the same thing I do with the boat. The problem is I think Shane's probably a little more reliant on the low-light hours when the ferries aren't running.

Thanks Steve... do you have any open dates?