Important question for Rip Trippers... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Important question for Rip Trippers...

07-05-2001, 05:32 PM
We were all surprised by the uprising of heavy seas and the circumstances it created the other day. This has me thinking about alternatives to the extreme tip of the island.

I would like to throw out a few options, let me know what your opinions are:

a) use the rip fare for three passes on the North/South shuttles (inside shuttles)

b) refund the fares

c) consider that trip an anomaly and stay the course understanding that weather may bring miles of hiking into the equation

d) apply the fares toward a different venue thru the season


07-05-2001, 06:50 PM
Hey man, weather happens. This is something we all need to be prepared for. The question and sometimes the test is, how prepared are you?

I think Keith has demonstrated by his cancellation of prior trips that he does not take his responsibility to ensure safe passage lightly.

Therefore, I don't see any reason to veer from the plan/ program.

Your consideration as the "host" however is greatly appreciated.


07-05-2001, 07:24 PM
I didn't experience your odyssey but would love to make a rip trip. Thanks for all your hard work putting these trips together.

07-05-2001, 07:49 PM
My fare is used up but I still vote for future rip trips because I'd like to get out there and give it another go. It would have been nice to know of this alternate pickup in advance but hey, now we know. We also know what's around the corner (just don't wake the seals) :)

07-05-2001, 10:18 PM
Juro, You know me, I vote for C.

07-06-2001, 04:30 AM
Juro makes a very good point. I think people should really think over what might happen and see if they are physically fit for what might occur. We all seem to underestimate nature. That being said I have one question. Did this weather occur
suddenly or was there a forcast that strong winds and tide might occur? Randy Jones in has tips on safety says he consults at least three weather forcasts before he takes a trip. I also vote for the Rip Trips.

07-06-2001, 05:42 AM
Rip trip for me although it should be an individual choice at the end of the day. Looks like the general sentiment is to persevere. Roops right, weather is a fact of life, especially when fishing.

See you on the water!

07-06-2001, 06:25 AM
Before fishing took the main hobby slot in my life my main hobby was hiking. At that point in time I would voluntarily walk 10 miles with 50 pounds of gear on my back...and that was most certainly not over relatively flat terrain. So, I am all in favor of keeping the rip trips alive. If a trip turns into a fishing AND a hiking trip then I can satisfy two hobbies at one time. I might end the trip with sore hamstrings and a striper thumb but I think that it would be worth the walk.


07-06-2001, 07:40 AM
Now that I am aware of the "ALTERNATE" pick-up point I'd say PACK LIGHT (no cooler, no extra gear), and bring ACCEPTABLE SHOES (and socks) that won't raise blisters...Be ready for a HIKE!
Armed with what I know now, I vote for "C" and I look forward to my next "informed" RipTrip...and the chance to fish in the shadows of the Big Dawgz.

Sorry I kept you folks waiting while I slowly hauled my butt to the pick-up point...too bad those nasty fish bent your rods and warmed your drags!

07-06-2001, 10:01 AM
You can add my vote for scheduling another rip trip.
We all recognize there can be no guarantees regarding the weather. That's a certainty. However we can learn from your hiking experience by preparing for hiking in addition to fishing.
So, when's the next trip?

07-06-2001, 01:32 PM
I vote for C. Now that we know what the alternative is, should the weather turn, we can be more decisive in making the move. Enjoy the stroll and fish the surf.

The important thing is that people understand what can happen.

Fred A.

John Desjardins
07-06-2001, 01:54 PM
Add me in as another vote for C.

07-06-2001, 05:29 PM
Trekking around Monomoy can't be any worse than walking 36 holes in July, carrying my full accompaniment of 14 golf clubs(with a vicious hang-over I might add).

I just want to attend a clave at this point. Sign me up for the "Clave of Despair." I NEED to catch my first legal striper on any form of equipment.

~The Invisible Doogue

07-06-2001, 05:36 PM
Fred; only one way to understand what can happen so lets do it. I choose door "C".

07-06-2001, 08:07 PM
It's door "C" for me! BTW, I'm on vacation next week so, if any rip trips are planned, I'm in.

07-07-2001, 06:30 AM
I vote for "C". Let's get out there and fish the rip when it moves close to shore. I think if we just would have stayed another 30 min, the curent would have been moving swiftly right to left. It has just started moving right to left when I left to catch up with the group. If we stayed I believe we would have been into some of those strong rip fish instead of the schoolies at the alternate pick up spot.

Just my .02,