Micro Crab Apple [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Micro Crab Apple

striblue
12-04-2002, 12:10 AM
Here is one just over 1/2 inch long, the body that is. I will be going with this size mostly this season.

striblue
12-04-2002, 12:14 AM
Side by side with the Crab Apple #2..the bigger one previously posted as a comparison:

pmflyfisher
12-04-2002, 09:43 AM
John,

Very nice, would think you would have to weight these to get to bottom quickly and then crawl it along, like we do with cray fish patterns here in great lakes rivers for small mouths.

Imagine the damage to one of these after a striper or blue fish mouths it would be severe.

How have the bath tube pilot water tests gone so far ? Always interesting to see the wet versions of your flies before you actually fish with them.

Hal

P.S. Looks like I am 1000 posts behind you, don't worry about me but over the winter we tend to post more since there is more down time from fishing and other activities, and spend more time cyber fishing. :chuckle:

striblue
12-04-2002, 10:16 AM
Hal, don't forget,l I have already used the crab apple with success...It's the flounder which has not been tested..But this little fly has coiled wire on the shank and sinks flat down or with a sway..I may put a dumbell on it to give it a diving motion..but it is meant for the bottom on clear to semi-clear flats... Believe it or not this is a durable fly and a striper does not do much damage.. a blue will damage any fly..but the epoxy is good in that event..... I know you are 1000 post behind;)

pmflyfisher
12-04-2002, 12:26 PM
Cool, plus you salt water fishers have the advantage of larger and heavier hooks than us fresh water fly fishers. We also have limitations on the size of our hooks which salt water fisherman do not have to my knowledge. :(

striblue
12-04-2002, 12:31 PM
Hal, I wonder whether this concept would make a reliable cray fish for your area.... ???

pmflyfisher
12-04-2002, 12:33 PM
Maybe, send me the tying instructions when you get a chance, no rush.

Best

Hal

Dble Haul
12-04-2002, 12:46 PM
John, I'm in step with you. I've already been putzing around with a crayfish pattern tied in this style. When I get one that's not too embarrassing, I'll post it in the warmwater archive. :o

RayStachelek
12-04-2002, 04:21 PM
John -

Might want to tank test these babies first. Me think coiled lead around the shank will weigh it down certainly, but won't invert the hook properly. That's why those crab weights come in handy I posted earlier about. The general physical shape, material, and configuration/hook of the crab might not let it flip by itself naturally.

One other point might be to conceal the shiny stainless hook. Would markering it or changing it from a Varavas to a Tiemco 900 series help. Those I think have a black dull finish.

You got it down buddy. Looks awesome.

BigDave
12-04-2002, 04:53 PM
Apparently we all think alike.

Before scrolling down past the photo I was wondering if I could convince Striblue to tie a crayfish pattern just like this on a 2 or 3xl hook. I would be more than happy to submit a field report after extensive field testing in my local freshwater bass holes :devil:

Dave

striblue
12-04-2002, 05:20 PM
Thanks Ray.. the original swung down nicely with Dumbell eyes.... but I am working on these and they will present and settle just right by the time I am done....Dave, I will give some thought to this. Tonight is the Micro Flounder.