Interesting web connect from another site on nymph fishing. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Interesting web connect from another site on nymph fishing.

fredaevans
12-02-2002, 04:41 PM
http://www.fishandfly.co.uk/tledit0500a.html

pmflyfisher
12-02-2002, 07:52 PM
Might as well get rid of the fly line and spey rod if you are going to use this nymphing technique. Just spool mono on and connect to the leader, then add three heavily weighted nymphs.

Reminds me when I was learning the fly rod and using bait on small narrow mountain streams back east when I was 12 years old.

They must have narrow fast brooks in Czech land.

Plus I can only use two flies in Michigan, some states only one fly is allowed. Not sure if there are any left in the U.S. where you can use three flies like the old days.

flytyer
12-02-2002, 11:44 PM
Fred,

Back in the late 1950's and early 1960's when I was a young flyfisher, I was born in 1953 and started fly fishing when age 5 because dad was a flyfisher, this technique was used by quite a few of the old timers. Yes, they used three nymph flies that were sparsely dressed and weighted. Dad didn't use it, he and his fly fishing friends preferred to use a cast of three featherwing wet flies and fish them with the Leisenring Lift. Eventhough it is a deadly technique, I haven't fished a multi-fly cast in over 25 years.

BigDave
12-03-2002, 07:59 AM
In the UK it's known as Czech Nymphing

Here we call it Chuck and Duck :hehe:

A deadly fastwater technique no matter what you call it! 3 flies seems like a bit much to me, although I know that is the custom there....

FlyFishAR
12-03-2002, 09:29 AM
That is exactly the technique we use during our competitions. European grayling prefer a fly to be "on the bottom". The technique is not as easy as it looks either. The weight of the rig is critical to its sucess. Too much weight and it hangs up, too little and it never makes it to the bottom in the short distance that it travels.

Since we are not allowed to use external weight (split shot) during competition, most of the guys will weigh their flies on a "grain" scale. The fly boxes can be pretty intense. You'll have several different patterns, in several different sizes, and several different weights. In competition I look more like a pack mule than I do a fly fisher. God forbid if the fish start taking dry flies.

John