Expermint !!!!!!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Expermint !!!!!!!

saltydog
11-29-2002, 05:03 PM
Ive been playing around w/ this one for a while. it is a BIG fly 8"w/claws . it is RED,BLACK,SLARKLE, I know the color is WRONG (RED ) the next one WILL be BLACK,BLUE,GREEN,W/ FLASH.
BUT looking for COMMENT, GOOD ,BAD, or INDIFFERENT, it is on a 5/0 hook w/ ring in the hook eye to extend the body, an make it segmented. the front is weighted so it SHOULD fall face first, when stripped the body WILL tuck under the front , to give it tail movement. you will be able to see the segmented part in the second pic' posted. will havesome more refinments by SPRING.
your comment are requested.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

saltydog
11-29-2002, 05:06 PM
2ND PART. this will show you the tail section, the segmented part.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN" :smokin:

striblue
11-29-2002, 08:07 PM
Salty...I love to see experiments.Your idea of a segmented fly that will move on the strip is something that has crossed my mind but I haven't been able to come up with a concept. 8 inches is huge. Is it intended as a type of lobster fly? I thinks it great and I will have to take a closer look at it when we see each other since I am having a little difficulty figuring out how this will move based just on the photo...but the dimensions and off-shoots look perfect. As a lobster fly I wonder what one would look like in dark brown, light brown, variations.

pmflyfisher
11-29-2002, 08:40 PM
I'm experimenting now also, but mine are only one inch long max. Such are the challenges of great lakes steelhead nymphs and wet flies. Eight inches is some type of fly, what I would do to be able to tie big flies. When I first looked at this fly I thought it was a big cray fish.

Guess I will have to work on getting the great lakes converted to salt water and then having stripers, blues, and albacore stocked for big flies to become a requirement for my fly arsenals.;)

saltydog
11-30-2002, 05:53 AM
STRIBLUE. the ring in CENTER /eye of the hook is where you tie your line. in the center of the fly.thus when it is striped back the tail curles under. then falls back when you let go. was playing with it in my tank an works great as a (swimmer) BUT lobsters are NOT swimmers, they crawl on the bottom. so I think the segment will have to go. an will put a eye on the tail to pull it,an keep it on the bottom. BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD.will put him aside an play with my JELLY FISH FLY. "GOOD LUCK GOODTYIN":smokin:

saltydog
11-30-2002, 06:41 AM
PMFLYFISHER,you have agreat fisherie up there, I use to head up there OCTOBER ---MARCH an fish for SALMON, STEELHEAD, an BIG BROWNS, an in may the BIG RAINBOWS use to show up. I got a 20lb steelhead ,an 18lb German Brown on the wall spent meny a weekend up here.havent been back in 6 years, will have to take the wife up an spend a weekend this winter. so your looking for a CRAW FISH FLY try his on, it worked for me, back then. just found it. it's the LAST of them. don't use them anymore. as you can see this one HAS been fished. the hackle is messed up. VERY EASY TIE.
STREMER HOOK (SLIGHT BEND) CHENEEL,HACKLE,SWISSTRAW,
PHEASENT,PLASTIC EYES. thats the old way. if you do one reverse the hook an bend it w/ the hook up, an use lead eyes.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
P.S. let me know how you do.

striblue
11-30-2002, 11:26 AM
Salty... those are great concepts..before you know it we will have a "live" aquarium to show how these work. We will have to get together at the shows or before hand so I can hold those flys... Need to see the big one..tye two together simmulating sex?;) The cray fish is perfect... It's good to try different concepts to create action instead of the bacic movements. I must confess to you that I am working on creating a flang like protrusion under my crab apple to simmulate "digging in".. cast the fly in the striper travel lanes on the flats..wait for an approach, and a slight twitch as the striper approaches forces the fly down and kicks up some sand to appear as though it is digging in for protection....what do you think?

pmflyfisher
11-30-2002, 11:57 AM
Saltydog

Thanks for the crayfish pattern will put it on my list to tie this winter. We also have some very good smallmouth rivers in the great lakes which are underfished.

Sounds like you were fishing the NY GL tribs which I have never tried, can't get me past Wisconsin, Indiana, and Michigan GL tribs lately.

Being raised a NY and NJ trout fisherman, when I was relocated to the mid west in 1979 and realized many rivers were open 365 days a year, and had salmon, steelhead, and lake run browns a transformation occured in all of fly fishing tackle and seasons.

Good tying, working on some new stuff now.