Aruba Fishing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Aruba Fishing

shaialude
11-28-2002, 10:01 PM
I am heading to Aruba in Feb.-the third trip. Has anyone an idea of where to fly fish on the island. If you've had any success post to me at shaialude@earthlink.net.
I've fished in several areas such as the piers for the head boats. They tell me that there are snook here, yet I've haven't seen one. I've fished several other Caribean Islands and have had good fishing. I can't understand why Aruba should be different.

juro
11-29-2002, 08:18 AM
I am also interested in this info - I have relatives who visit frequently and have opportunities to go along on occasion, but none of them fish.

The area offers good offshore opportunities for tuna and billfish and the typical bottom fishing species like grouper, but I hear nothing of bonefishing or other inshore species that would be fun on a fly.

What might be a great way to go is to pursue bonito, mahi mahi, kingfish, or wahoo on the fly with a charter captain who will work with a flyfisherman.

I hear that some of the resorts offer boat rentals, which might make for a more adventurous day on the water.

Keep us informed!

DEERHAAWK
11-29-2002, 07:30 PM
Good day,
I would start at www.worldwidefishing.com
My understanding is that there are no guides for Aruba flyfishing, island proper that is. But alot of these outfits that work the Caribbean on a regular basis from other points might have the inside line. If I had my choice, I would spend my days off Culebra!
I remain knee deep, with a good SPF 30...
Deerhawk

MajorGeek
02-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Have you gone yet? Only because there is there is so little information available, I'm an expert. I was there last year. See: http://webpages.charter.net/ph2738/aruba/