Pantagonia, Chile [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Pantagonia, Chile

Dean
11-26-2002, 12:56 PM
I have a chance to go down to the Futalafu river in Chile for just the air fair. Has anyone been down there and knows what flies to take.
Thanks
Dean

juro
11-26-2002, 02:02 PM
I am anxious to hear the replies, I also have interest in getting down there one of these days.

2HandTheSalt
11-26-2002, 02:54 PM
I searched a lot recently and could not find anything that I would consider reasonable airfare.

Still a dream for me.

Dean
11-26-2002, 03:02 PM
It may be cheaper for me being on the West Coast. Try and fly into San Jose Costa Rica, there is a layover and then fly on down to Santiago. If you can find "Student fairs" it is less than $800.

loco_alto
11-26-2002, 10:21 PM
I never fished that particular river, but as a graduate student I did take annual trips to Chile for 5 years. I fished a number of unheralded waters and had a great time.

One recommendation in general is the pancora fly, to imitate the ubiquitious small freshwater crabs of the region. Tie this as woolly bugger, size 6. Heavily weighted. Oval body shape, not linear, through multiple layers of dark olive chenille. Brown/black grizzly palmered hackle, and mixed brown-olive tail (short! 3/4") with a dash of orange. This is a good tie for everywhere that I fished. You can adjust your tie to have varying degrees of olive vs/. brown to match the local crabs (match the stream bottom).

also, general black woolies, and parachute adams, worked well most places. I never hit the hoppers. Keep the flash to a minimum, the water's clear, and the flash just spooks them away. You almost want the fly to sneak up on the fish.

have fun. Chile is a wonderful country for many reasons other than the fishing - the fishing is good, too! but not as easy as some of the magazines might have you think....

josko
11-28-2002, 08:19 AM
I would appreciate any info on good deals and/or price breaks on lodges down there. I can fly into Santiago or Punta Arenas and am hoping for discounts on the 'standard' lodge rates. It seems they are mostly sitting empty these days, so there should be some price breaks. I just can't seem to find any. Thanks in advance.