Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ross Big Game Reel

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Thinking of getting the Ross Big Game Reel. Anyone own one? Any problems?
FishHawk

#2 ·
I own one as do several friends and we all say it's awesome. It's endearing qualities include:

- large arbor
- machined bar stock
- lightweight and strong
- maintenance free sealed drag
- easy change spool
- killer aesthetics
- price/performance value

My only comment would be I wish they would make the drag knob out of machined aluminum instead of ABS plastic, although it does keep the weight and price down. This is a minor enhancement for aesthetic purposes only, and if that's the only thing it's kickin' butt!

I couldn't think of any reason why you would not choose this great reel.

#4 ·
One quick correction so that readers do not get lazy with the cleaning of their Canyons if they fish them in saltwater.

The Canyon is a not a sealed drag and I have seen a good number of these come back due to salt working its way into the drag and ruining it...be sure to fully loosen the drag and rinse it out after heavy salt use.

Its no biggy though as Ross's customer service is second to none!!

#5 ·
Hmmm... good point Sparky! I stand corrected.

As an avid saltwater angler and seasonal guide, I always rinse my reels regardless of design in the following manner after SWFF:

1) soak in a stripping basket full of fresh water with the spool removed

2) come back after taking care of other stuff and put the spool back on, then in the direction of retrieve I use the hose nozzle to spin the spool like a water wheel with centrifugal force to spin off the water like a sprinkler, which takes most of the salt off the line so it can't affect the reel during the drying process

3) then pop the spool off again, rinse everything again, then dry apart for the next trip

Therefore I guess I never noticed any effect on the drag from salt, but with Sparky's correction I will be careful to continue my regimen for (all) reels I use in the salt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.