Say Big Banger [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Say Big Banger

saltydog
11-24-2002, 12:03 PM
Striblue, as you know buy now Im into BIG flys. any ways. I fish CUTTY HUNK from the beach in the SPRING an FALL an the BIG stripers love BIG flys the wack them an they shot up 4-6' out of thewater then come back an EAT'EM I use to use Bob Popovic's fly ( banger) which was great on the little guys, BUT for the past 2 years Im into BIG BIG BANGERS,this. the foam is 1"round an 1 3/4 long w/tail it's 9" total whic they love. my buddie just sent me some foam that 2" round an will do som of thoes for the 40lb's that cruzzzzzz out the this winter, anyways here's my BIG BROWN
for NIGHT fishin.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"":smokin:

saltydog
11-24-2002, 12:06 PM
here's the BLUE ONE for DAY fishing.
"GOOD LUCK GOODTYIN":smokin:

striblue
11-24-2002, 06:45 PM
Yikes!.. Those are perfect...I will try some of them but need to get material for the barrell shape. The thing is I don't use poppers that much in Chatham so I don't tye them often..usually the crease fly... But with the change in conditions this year down there I was left at certain times without a popper in my fly box...not to happen again!

BigDave
11-25-2002, 08:41 AM
Salty,

Nice looking flies.

Do you cast those with a 10/11 wt? I can't imagine it's too easy to get those big boys out in a headwind. Also, since you seem to be a fan of big poppers, what kind of tippet do you use to avoid twisting? I rarely use poppers anymore because I go through leaders at a mile a minute with the line twist.

Dave

juro
11-25-2002, 11:35 AM
Dave -

Surprisingly, using the livebody foam in the jumbo size I've been able to cast big bangers 60 feet or so, but you need to cut the leader back to the thick stuff. It sure isn't like casting a shrimp fly but it gets out plenty far with a 9wt line for me.

The problem for me is switching to a dry line, with an intermediate the belly pulls the popper down and it won't chug as well. I never carry the third line.

Your results may vary!

BigDave
11-25-2002, 11:42 AM
Juro - next time I will cut the leader back as you suggest.

One good tip deserves another - Jim Bender turned me on to the idea of dressing the line with a silicone-based cleaner and it actually floats (my line) up pretty well. You may have to reapply but like you, I will not carry 3 spools around with me. Too much to fit in my fanny pack! :D

saltydog
11-25-2002, 04:27 PM
thats the ticket, cut the leader back, an if you pick up one of these you will see, there is only the weight of the hook, material is LIGHT ha,ah, an YES a 10wt is good my 11 is Better BIG FLIES like this need to be casted a little bit SLOWER, to KEEP control of.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
:smokin: