Chugger Popper [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chugger Popper

striblue
11-23-2002, 03:39 PM
This copied from a fly in Veverkas book although I changed the material and a bit of the syle... Hook- 2/0 long shank Varivas..... thread- White.....Tail- White bucktail, then Big flash pearl keystal flash, then chartruese pearl flashabou, then olive bucktail, then mixture of green and white thin flash, Then flanked by chartruese grizzly hackle... then at the end of the tie some fluff from the grizzly hackle...then palmered olive grizzly hackle...... Head- Yellow foam popper, then light coat of epoxy to set in short strips of chartruese grizzly hackle on each side , bottom epoxy mixed with silver flecks, top short strip of Olive grizzly hackle over olive colored top with magic marker... then Gold holographic eyes...gills red magic marker.... finally second coat of epoxy all over head...

striblue
11-23-2002, 03:55 PM
Lost my connection......

striblue
11-23-2002, 04:15 PM
again:

striblue
11-23-2002, 04:19 PM
Something is not working here:

Dble Haul
11-23-2002, 08:14 PM
John, that has to be one of the nicest flies that you've ever posted. It's magnificent.

Thanks for sharing it.

:smokin:

juro
11-23-2002, 09:21 PM
I look at that and hear...

slurp, pop, gurgle, chug, BLAM!

striblue
11-23-2002, 10:27 PM
Thanks Mark... I just finished a smaller version in Blue.

Penguin
11-24-2002, 08:29 AM
Johnny Scissorhanz...
Way too pretty to get wet...much less, choooed on by a toothy critter!

saltydog
11-24-2002, 11:42 AM
STRIBLUE, :D NICE COLOR MIX, that second coat really makes a difference, makes the colore blend more. lookin good.:smokin:
guess were into POPPERS NOW.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN" :smokin:

striblue
11-25-2002, 08:52 AM
Thanks salty...just trying to keep the juices flowing... I will need to pick up some different size popper heads this week and also some large gauge Mylar, if I can find it.. My thinking is that I will make my poppers flow with the rest of the fly make up... I don't see why the head has to be so different in color make up than the rest of the body. I guess I will start tying my poppers different from the usual. Most are tyed with obvious heads. Yours has the concept of all one look as well which I will strive for in my next flys .I am looking for a blend so the surface fly looks no different than a deep fly. We shall see. There is a lot of material that can be used besides grizzly hackle to create that look.

BigDave
11-25-2002, 11:49 AM
Looks like a killer freshwater bucketmouth pattern to me! Just like an injured yellow perch on his last legs, flopping about on the surface, waiting for the inevetable.....:devil:

joe wojtan
11-26-2002, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by striblue
Something is not working here: [/QUO TE

John
I would love to get start tying poppers, never tied any, but looking at your work of art, I have a question on that popper, Did you do the art work on that popper head? or does the popper material come with that fancy art work? if not than how did you do this.
If its your fancy work, than it leaves me out, I could never paint anything like what you have shown on your poppers.
Get me started.
joe

striblue
11-26-2002, 01:46 PM
Joe, I put the directions in the first post above..but the head is not painted... it is grizzly hackle tips...chartruese on each side with olive grizzly on top. I colored the top with Olive magic marker ,then covered the sides and top with a sparse coat of epoxy and layered the tips onto the epoxy, adjusting their fit on the surface of the popper to lay smooth... then cut off any hackle extending beyond the popper face and added a second coat of epoxy after adding eyes...This would create a smooth all around surface locking the material within the epoxy.

steelheadmike
11-26-2002, 02:06 PM
Striblue,

I often wonder how you find the time to create such masterpieces. Always seems you are tying up all sorts of little tasties and I can barely find the time to whip up a half dozen clouser minnows for myself. Not to mention my girlfriend always seems to pee on my tying parade. She just doesn't get that this is not just a hobby but a lifestyle we all live. She still firmly believes that all you need is a Zebco Snoopy Snag-Um rod and a worm and a bobber. Welcome to my hell.

striblue
11-26-2002, 02:22 PM
Mike, I hear you.... now ,here is what you should do...get a couple of the hooks that have the built in pin in it... And tye a Christmas tree fly, only tye it so it looks just like a Christmas tree and give it to her in a nice package...when she sees what you can do that "can" be beyond tying she will hopefully see it different. You should see my spun deer hair Pumkin fly...orange too. Only to be worn by my wife on Halloween. Politics.....

BigDave
11-26-2002, 02:35 PM
Stri - a shrewd move. I like it.

As the old adage goes "it's the thought that counts" ;)

Now where is that pine-colored deerhair?

steelheadmike
11-26-2002, 03:28 PM
Only wish it was that easy! She has seen some of my Bunker flies and Squid flies and seems to think its all a big waste of time. Her idea of a hobby seems to be bar hopping! Its not my bag. I am no stranger to the "Fire Water" and will admitt to enjoying a few libations from time to time but my idea of a great weekend is a 3:30am wake up and 4:30 walk down the beach as the sun slowly creeps above the horizon as I sip a strong cup of Joe and puff down a tasty Cigar or a Cigarette. AHHHH Yes the breakfast of Champions/

joe wojtan
11-26-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by striblue
Something is not working here:

John
This is the popper I had a question on.
joe

saltydog
11-26-2002, 04:24 PM
HUMMMMMMM, coffee an cigars! where an when, :D
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

striblue
11-26-2002, 09:52 PM
Please...the coffee is strong french roast only one cuban allowed . :devil: .......P.S.I lost my connection again....see below.

striblue
11-26-2002, 10:01 PM
Help yourself.....

saltydog
11-27-2002, 11:56 AM
STRIBLUE, O.K. will tie flys for CIGARS.:smokin:
we need to have a smoke out. meet someplace chit-chat an have a CIGAR. THINK there is any interest.:D
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

saltydog
11-27-2002, 12:11 PM
STRIBLUE, after seeing your cigars I had to go check an see what's left. last too:( time to re-order, fast.)
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

striblue
11-27-2002, 01:24 PM
Oh man, I could not handle that empty humidor... Sure... some tying, good cigars and strong Coffee....we should plan on it....maybe there is some interest on a Tying day somewhere. I don't know if Sean Sullivan is planning the tying clave this year at the Fish and Game club...but I will e-mail him to see if he is considering it.. I think it is a Joppa tying Club event, and have gone to it for the past two years...

DFix
11-27-2002, 02:09 PM
A Smoker/Tyer event sounds like a winner to me, too.

Adrian
11-27-2002, 03:38 PM
Maybe something around Jan 17th, 18th and 19th to coincide with the Marlboro show?

Yikes - almost 2003 already:whoa: