I need your help.......... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: I need your help..........

FlyFishAR
11-22-2002, 08:43 PM
I need your help and your input. I am putting together my fly fishing itinerary for next year and I need some help with picking my destinations. Just for the sake of argument assume you had an unlimited budget and unlimited equipment. What would be the "dream" fly fishing destinations for here in North America and what time of the year.

From fishing the salmon runs in Alaska, to tarpon off the Florida Keys, to Michigan Steelhead in the spring, to Browns on the White River in the fall. I would like to be able to actually catch fish while I'm there. I don't think I would be up for something like a steelhead trip where I got blanked "just for the experience". :hehe:

Are your home waters the best of the best in the World at something? Where have you always wanted to go? What have you always wanted to see?

Thanks for your help!!!

John

Dble Haul
11-22-2002, 08:51 PM
I'll have to immediately suggest the Cape for stripers and blues. I had my first excursions there this year and am already drooling about return trips next season. The habitat is varied...jetties, rockpiles, huge surf, bowls, cusps, tidal creeks, marshes, bars,.....you get the picture. And some exotics make the scene too. Albacore and bonito to name a few.

Spring and fall are best, but summer offers some challenging sight fishing opportunities. I'll let those who have fished the area more extensively chime in with more details, but this should really be on your agenda if you can swing it.

Good luck!

FlyFishAR
11-22-2002, 08:58 PM
Definately high on the list, but what month of the year would be the peak season?

John

sean
11-22-2002, 09:42 PM
Cool question. Someting I have also been thinking about with my pending move to the east coast. Here is my first pass...

Stripers on the Cape in May(if fish are your goal I here that is the time of year it seems you are almost guaranteed to get em)

False Albacore in the Carolinas in November.

Coho in the Queen Charlottes August

Florida keys tarpon in May.

Florida Bonefish in September.

Bonefish in the Bahamas sometime during the winter.

Gotta do a steelhead trip. If you wanted fish get a good guide and hit a place like the Dechutes in September.

Big alaska rainbows in the fall.

The white river has always sounded like a great trip.

Atlantic salmon in quebec. Not sure of run timing.

Big brookies in Northern quebec. Not sure of run timing.

That would be it for me with another trip for winter steelhead mixed in somewhere.

-sean

striblue
11-22-2002, 11:17 PM
Cape Cod in May and June.... And Chatham, Monomoy area... National seashore beaches... The bayside in Brewster, Wellfleet... Falmouth, and the Elizabeth Islands...... Don't forget waters off Nantucket and Matha's Vinyard.....nice places to stay also. You will catch fish..Stripers, Blues at that time of year... False Albacore and Bonito, as well as Tuna off shore later in the season.

fredaevans
11-22-2002, 11:25 PM
on the Rogue. 45,000 of them through the counter this year ... up from the 33,000 plus for the past 4 years. Something about a 25-50 pound king on a rod that will test your limits.

fae

FredA
11-23-2002, 07:29 AM
For the Cape, if you want to optimize timing, June reigns supreme.

Quentin
11-23-2002, 10:01 AM
If I could live anywhere in the world during June, I'd pick Chatham, MA.

Other dream destinations include Canada for pike and Florida for snook & the classic flats species (I'd have to do some research to narrow down the times and locations).

Q

pmflyfisher
11-23-2002, 10:02 AM
I'm thinking :D

P.S. John how do you like my new avatar ? Thats a picture of a Russian Bear bomber and an F-102 Delta Dagger - S/N 416 which I worked on while stationed in Iceland for the USAF. We intercepted them about 100 times the year I was there, kept me busy for sure. Note how it supports the GL Chrome Interceptor logo ? Priceless!! :hehe:

FlyFishAR
11-23-2002, 10:08 AM
Thanks alot guys.....I'm scratching notes as fast as I can. :hehe:

Quentin, just out of curosity, is there a carp season?

John

Quentin
11-23-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by FlyFishAR
Thanks alot guys.....I'm scratching notes as fast as I can. :hehe:

Quentin, just out of curosity, is there a carp season?

John

Well, I've never heard of anyone catching one through the ice, but I see reports of carp being caught in the CT river even in the winter. Articles that I've read indicate that they hit flies the best during the warmer months, perhaps May - September. Also, it's really a sight fishing game unless you're using bait, so the angle of the sun needs to be high enough to allow you to see the fish.

Time to change my avatar, huh?

Q

FlyFishAR
11-23-2002, 11:14 AM
Hal:

Might cut and paste a nice steelhead into the pic. :smokin: Pilots and plane enthuasists are about half nuts anyway...right? Your pic fits the quote perfect!!!!

John

DEERHAAWK
11-23-2002, 11:33 AM
FlyFishAR,
October, I would have a base camp on the North Fork Umpqua, and make periodic trips to Eastern Oregon for action on Malheur, Donner und Blitzen, Chewaucan. Oh, and a week on the Imnaha would be nice, thank you very much!
I remain, at the curb in front of my house, waiting to be picked up....
Deerhawk

Smcdermott
11-23-2002, 12:04 PM
I know very little about this fish and the ideal locations etc... However, ever since reading an article in one of the Salt Water mags I have been dreaming about a trip to Christmas Island to stalk this giant of the flats. Probably a very expensive trip, but just imagine 300 yrds of gel spun coming of the reel at light speed.

Sean

striblue
11-23-2002, 12:11 PM
John...If you choose the cape..You are welcome to stay at CAC if you pick May or June since my family would not be down until the last week of June..you would have to let me know what specific dates you are talking about.

FlyFishAR
11-23-2002, 03:41 PM
Striblue.....Martha's vinyard is on the list already if I can figure out "when" to do the trip.

My little plane only has about 1000 miles worth of gas it can hold. Anything crossing an ocean can be a little stressfull if it is close to that. Obviously a trip to Europe would have me completing the last 1500 miles via swimming. :hehe:

John

striblue
11-23-2002, 05:26 PM
John ..Just so you know , the little Chatham Muni airport is 2 miles from CAC....

FlyFishAR
11-25-2002, 06:57 AM
Is there a "peak" season in the Chatham area?

I have thought about heading north either next fall or spring. Would either of those two seasons hit or miss a peak time on stripers?

John

juro
11-25-2002, 07:12 AM
Both good times to visit. Spring has the advantage that fish are arriving hungry from their migration, but fall has all the bait and presence of inshore tuna species along with very fat, strong summer-fed fish. This is an outstanding fishery here on the Northeast coast.

You joked about getting blanked by steelhead 'for the experience'... although I usually don't get the white stripe I can speak highly for the experience. Few venues can compare in that respect, and if the angler is man enough to find and hook steelhead on a dry fly then the reward stays with him for life. If you "have to be told, well then you just don't understand" as someone once said. It couldn't be truer than for steelhead fishing.

Bonefishing on the other hand is the best form of narcotics I've ever experienced. Maybe it's my northern upbringing but every time I am stalking sugar white sands and turquiose water for silver bullet ghosts with a fly rod I am intoxicated even without the rum drinks. Then there are tarpon in dem dere mangroves...

Trout fishing in secret wild populations across America from Maine to Washington across the divide is a dream of mine I hope to fulfill one day.

It's all good!

FlyFishAR
11-25-2002, 09:43 AM
Juro:

I don't have any reservations about being blanked for difficult fish. Heck I spend days on end trying to hook-up a single big brown. Day after day waiting for a fish to begin feeding only to be broken off after the first jump after the hook-up.

The reason I am hoping to attempt to have the best opportunity for a hook up is because I may bring a film crew with me. It is all still a little up in the air, but with the costs associated with filming I can't afford to suffer a blanking.

John

John Desjardins
11-25-2002, 09:46 AM
The two trips I've always wanted to do are brook trout in Newfoundland and Alaska for salmon. I've never had both the money and time to do either so I haven't pursued the best dates.

pmflyfisher
11-25-2002, 08:54 PM
Greal Lakes

Spring - March/April - Steelhead

Summer - July - Summer Steelhead

Fall - October - Salmon, Steelhead, Lake run browns

Winter - January/February - Steelhead

Those are southern great lakes dates for northern great lakes ior (Minnesota, Ontario, Michigan UP, etc) add one month later to the spring dates and one month earlier for the fall dates. Forgot winter steelheading up there unless you are really a steelhead masochist. Also there are few summer runs in the northern great lakes area.

Catskills NYS

Late may thru June

No sense getting into my dream trips now is there ?

There are lots of little airports close to the GL rivers, but I will not be flying with you. No more single engines for me.:razz:

FlyFishAR
11-25-2002, 09:03 PM
No more single engines for me.

I have a twin too Hal, but you are twice as likely to have an engine failure in a twin. Trust me I've had a few over the years. :devil:

Nothing quite like shooting the approach into Fort Worth Meacham with a run away engine. Everything that had a flashing light on top of it met us on the runway. Including the parking lot meter maid. :hehe:

But 23 years of flying and I've never bent metal (knock wood).

John

pmflyfisher
11-26-2002, 01:20 PM
John

On CNN this morning they had a live shot of single engine plane making an emergency landing in Massachusetts missing one wheel. He brought it in nice and softly on the grass though. I am sure they will be replaying it.

Got to have at least four engines,my risky flying days are over, I don't care how big the browns or steelhead are waiting for me either. :chuckle:

Have a great holiday !

Hal

FlyFishAR
11-26-2002, 03:06 PM
The fact that it would make CNN just shows how scared of flying people can be. I've run out of gas in my car a couple of times. But let me do it just once in my plane and everyone on board would get all "freeky" about it. :p

John

PS: Unless I have a chain gun mounted in the wing of the plane I'm pretty much straight and level.:smokin:

pmflyfisher
11-26-2002, 09:46 PM
Their stilll showing it on CNN. This pilot is now famous, I might fly with him after seeing that landing on one wheel.