DID someone say FLOUNDER [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: DID someone say FLOUNDER

saltydog
11-22-2002, 12:51 PM
How about a little one.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

striblue
11-22-2002, 01:52 PM
Oh NO!!!! well.....back to the drawing board for me. Love it.

JimW
11-22-2002, 02:43 PM
Not ugly enough.:hehe:

Just kidding. Looks good. What's it made out of?

Adrian
11-22-2002, 02:52 PM
Hmmm, I recall seeing some of Enrico P's creations - incredibly realistic.

juro
11-22-2002, 02:58 PM
All right, cat's out of the bag! My secret hopes of being first to develop a flounder pattern first have been dashed! :hehe:

Why don't we have a flounder fly contest, let the readership vote for the winner? We can have a $5 entry fee to cover the prize.

saltydog
11-22-2002, 06:06 PM
JimW, SPUN DEERHAIR, SOFT TEX added to the tail help form an keep the tail shape.
'GOOD LUCK GOODTYIN":smokin:

Quentin
11-23-2002, 09:55 AM
I have some ideas for a flounder imitation, but it uses mostly "non-traditional" materials. I'll give it a try and see how it comes out. Since I've never see a juvie flounder, what size are we talking here? Maybe 2" long? If they need to be much bigger than that I think my proposed pattern would be very difficult to cast.

Q

Adrian
11-24-2002, 09:29 AM
Juro

Flounder fly contest would be fun!

Quentin,

I've seen flounder fry less than 1 inch long back in the UK. They were white/translucent and hung out at the top of the tidal section of river estuaries in huge numbers.

I've spotted them on the Cape and elsewehere anything up to six inches of more.

juro
11-24-2002, 09:36 AM
Stripers go nuts over flounder juvies, I've seen them go sideways onto the shallows on the bayside flats for flounder. Creel studies I've read also indicate high consumption levels as well. These are 2-3" long in general although can be as small as 1" or large enough to consider young adults. I have been targeting the 2" class based on what I've observed on the flats. Once this thing is over I have a good story about a flounder fly I accidentally invented and caught a lot of fish on. :hehe:

striblue
11-24-2002, 10:21 AM
Juro..I tried one back in May and posted a pic on the archive under "It's no fluke" flounder fly..Can not put it here since the pic is already on the forum but it has not been tried yet, but it was done with crab material type foan with hackles along the edge to creat a slight fin action all along the body. I really wanted to go back to the drawing board though.

juro
11-24-2002, 11:33 AM
John, this should be a good experiment for this winter. Let's run this contest through the fly show or casting clave dates so we can put all the entries into a display.

saltydog
11-24-2002, 11:48 AM
O.K Im in, thats my ugly one, Ill save the good one for this winter.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

joe wojtan
11-24-2002, 03:31 PM
Count me in. but I have no idea what a flounder fly should look like, maybe some help will be fortcoming between now and due date.
Joe

striblue
11-24-2002, 05:45 PM
OK..Juro your on...let's do it... This will , however, not count for the "unique" fly in Fly Swap-part 3.

juro
11-24-2002, 06:21 PM
No, this should be separate I agree. Unique? How 'bout a searobin fly! :whoa:

saltydog
11-25-2002, 04:47 PM
HMMMMMMMMMM, can you say sea erchant fly, do you know what eats them? BIG BIG TRIGER FISH, the love em the blow the over an eat the bellies out.
STRIBLUE , can't remember was my FLYING FISH FLY on the page?
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
P.S. my jelly fish fly will be done after the hollidays.
:smokin:

FredA
11-27-2002, 08:26 AM
Juvie flounder and sea robins! I bet these would work in my back yard. I saw a neat flounder pattern somewhere recently but can't remember where. The winter 2002 Flyfish New England has a step by step of a cool Catherwood sea robin.

juro
11-27-2002, 08:47 AM
Fred -

I agree - the only field test I've done with a flounder fly WAS in your backyard, and it was the only pattern producing that day.

Sea robins are much more prevalent on the other side of the cape though...

FredA
11-27-2002, 10:30 AM
My back yard, as opposed to where I fish, is way up on the Bass River. Caught a few sea robins and flounder with the kids over the years there. Never seen a sea robin, near shore, on the bayside.

striblue
11-30-2002, 11:36 PM
I am racking my brain right now to come up with a realist as possible flounder fly... I have been going though all kinds of feathers since I think with the right feathers and the crab apple thinking I will come up with a body color that fits... My previous flounder was just the foam and marked with a magic marker and even though it was the right shape the coloring really did not do it for me.

saltydog
12-01-2002, 06:23 AM
STRIBLUE, it will all come in due time. one day you will be tyin an BAM. thats it. I have to meny projects started. It will take till next winter to complete them all.I havent even started to RETIE for ME. looks like Ill be up nights, Sipping, Smokin, an Tyin. it's tuff but some of us have to do it. 'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

juro
12-01-2002, 09:26 AM
Oh I get it. I thought you meant where you go most frequently, which I assumed was the bayside flats. Plenty of winged critters up in there for sure, and some big fish pushing up in there in spring and fall. I've caught holdovers fairly regularly up inside the Bass R. as I am sure you have too.

Originally posted by FredA
My back yard, as opposed to where I fish, is way up on the Bass River. Caught a few sea robins and flounder with the kids over the years there. Never seen a sea robin, near shore, on the bayside.

Striblue -

Not easy is it! I've been at this for years, have a couple maybes but no BAM.