blanket hatches [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: blanket hatches

dewey
11-20-2002, 10:17 PM
This summer I experienced the most fantastic Hexagenia hatch I could imagine. A carpet of mayflies, and countless slurping noises in the dark. The problem was.... I got skunked! So did everyone I know for three straight evenings. So... does anyone have any suggestions for fishing hugely prolific hatches? Any ideas how to apply them in the dark?

Lipripper
11-21-2002, 08:25 AM
Hey dewey,
Gotta love those nights!:rolleyes: I have a couple suggestions for you. First, When your on a blanket hatch and you hear slurping/sucking all around you...try to listen and hoan in on one specific fish. The closest and most regular feeder will be easiest to get to go. If you have a section of river to yourself and your familiar with it. Listen for the largest Oink-Miester slurp you can hear and go find him. My largest river brown came on a blanket hex hatch...and I had to search him out. There is alot to be said for just sitting and waiting for the hatch/fish to start and then getting in and fishing once things heat up a little. One last thing....Patterns. I don't care what anyone says. In the middle of the night most fish are not that picky. Get the size close and use PRECISE casts and you should do better next summer.

John

PS. Those fish may have been eating Brown Drakes too. Try using a seine(spl?) net to make sure.

BigDave
11-21-2002, 08:30 AM
Try swimming a nymph right under the surface. Or even a wooly bugger. I have only experienced a couple "blanket" hatches but if there are enough active fish in the area sometimes they will compete for your offering.

My .02