fishing in the phillipines [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: fishing in the phillipines

nmbrowncom
11-19-2002, 07:48 PM
this christmas i may be travelling to the phillipines to visit my wife's family. we'll be in manila(luzon), boracay,iloilo, and cebu. i'm trying to collect information on both salt and fresh water fishing in general, and fly fishing in particular. any information, advice, or suggestions is appreciated.

Penguin
11-19-2002, 09:49 PM
I spent time in the Pacific during some of my formative years in the Air Farce back in the 70's...Guam, Wake, Midway, Thailand, Clark AFB, etc (not supposed to talk about Cambodia)...
Lots of toothy critters to cut you/break you off!
I'll bet D.Fix would have some interesting insights (although, I suspect he used hand grenades in lieu of 9wts)...
Lots of Jacks, Wahoo, Sharks, and BCoudas...
JUST DO IT!...and take lots of pictures...and write us a report!

DEERHAAWK
11-20-2002, 12:17 AM
NMBROWNCOM
If you have to lay over in Hawaii, There is some square-tail action on Kauai, and dont forget to try the Kim-Chee, Ooooooh Yeeaah
You know thats a fact, jack!
Deerhawk

Adrian
11-20-2002, 09:54 AM
Deerhaawk, where on Kauai?

We have a timeshare at Hanalei - never bothered to fish there since its supposed to be time with wife - however I did see some schools of small bonefish on one of the reefs so I'll be packing the gear next time.

DEERHAAWK
11-20-2002, 12:23 PM
Adrian,
In '78 I was part of a contingent of surfers from the San Diego/North County area that moved to Hawaii. We all shared a pole house in Princeville (the ones down at the end of the main drive on the left, just above Hidaways Beach) We were all into living off the land and spending as little money as possible. Hence, all that was available, we took advantage of, including this square tail trout species (as far as I remember, a warm water version of the Rainbow, in fact thats what they call it)
Two web sites, www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dsp/dsp.html and www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/regbk/index.html should give you the info that you need.
They say that the trout is only available in Waimea Stream, and I am not inclined to go against the DLNR/Hawaii, but the Wailua river and Huilea stream are good bets, because Kauai has Large/Small mouth Bass and the dreaded Tucunare as well!
Licenses are available-7+30 day Tourist as well as Non-Res. So just get up early, kiss the wife on the cheek, grab a papaya off the lanai, and hit the water!
And I remain, in my "slipas and puka shell necklace", your friend with a net full of Tako...
Deerhawk

Adrian
11-20-2002, 01:13 PM
Great info - thanks! Guess I'll be packing for fresh and salt ;)

DFix
11-20-2002, 03:12 PM
(Pengiun)

["I spent time in the Pacific during some of my formative years"]

Which explains the Avatar :smokin: - By the way, I got a bone ta pick wit' yu - some of that 'stuff' I asked you to drop off on your way by - it wasn't supposed to be in KIT form when you did it :tsk_tsk: :hehe:

(...going back to my hooch :whoa: )