Fly boxes for midge patterns [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly boxes for midge patterns

fishboyicu812
11-17-2002, 06:15 PM
I am currently attempting to restock my fly boxes with all my favorite midge patterns and in doing so I have a question that I would like to ask other board members....What fly boxes do you employ to hold your midge patterns? As of now I have been using the clear plastic, 12 compartment, interlocking fly boxes that are available from just about any shop or catalog. These boxes have served me admirably over the years however I am looking for a better system to overcome a few shortfalls that I have experienced with this particular setup. Any suggestions or comments on the matter would be insightful. Thanks!

I hope this post is appropriate for this board. Would the gear board be more appropriate for this post?

Brad
11-17-2002, 07:28 PM
I use a small box with flat foam on both sides for my midge box. I must have 20-30 dozen flies all in neat little rows. The compartment boxes are no good for tiny flies since they stick together and it is hard to remove just one. Also the flies do not blow away stuck in to foam. My 2 cents

Brad

BigDave
11-18-2002, 08:26 AM
Stephen,

As you know I use the all-foam boxes because they are light and they float. The only problem is the foam kind of sticks to the tiny barbs on midges which you have to clean off after you tie them on. Floating flyboxes are a must for me because as you know, I am prone to dropping stuff in the water from time to time :smokin:

jared
11-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Small flip top box (have subdivided the flip-top sections into 4 mini comparments)...a lightly (and i mean lightly) magnetized hemo is what I use to get the flies out.

Others that don't have hackles (like a serendipity, copper john, brassie, etc) are stuck in the foam top.

I debarb everything, so the foam issue that BigDave mentioned is not a concern for me.

-j

old man
11-18-2002, 12:22 PM
I also debarb all my hooks as it comes out of the fish eaiser and also out of my skin the same.

SDHflyfisher
11-18-2002, 04:10 PM
orvis has a good threader box but it is a little pricy at $45