Night Whistler [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Night Whistler

striblue
11-17-2002, 02:54 PM
Hook- 3/0 Varivas.......Thread-Black..... Tail- Black Bucktail with strands of blue flashabou, flanked on each sice by grizzly hackle..Body- 6 wraps of wire for balast and red crystal chenille.....collar- Grizzly hackle palmered...... eye- large silver bead chain.

joe wojtan
11-17-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by striblue
Hook- 3/0 Varivas.......Thread-Black..... Tail- Black Bucktail with strands of blue flashabou, flanked on each sice by grizzly hackle..Body- 6 wraps of wire for balast and red crystal chenille.....collar- Grizzly hackle palmered...... eye- large silver bead chain.

John
Love it its a beauty
Joe

saltydog
11-18-2002, 04:26 PM
STRIBLUE, very nice , looks like Ill have to tie some.:D
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"

BigDave
11-18-2002, 04:34 PM
John,

I have noticed you use the Varivas hooks extensively for your flies. I have been using Gami hooks this year (very pleased) and am wondering what if any advantages the Varivas hooks have before stocking up on fly tying materials for the winter.

Dave :D

striblue
11-18-2002, 05:46 PM
Dave, actually I really don't.. I will use the gami's, mustad Signatures and Trey Combs big game as well.. And some Umpqua big hooks... The Varivas has the hooking ability of the circle hook but allows the strip strike to be more effective... I like them because I have had good hooking luck with them for the first season of use, but no more than my other hooks. I will have to use them more than one season . The interesting thing is if you take a 1/0 Varivas, it looks like a hook gap on a regular 3/0 from one of the other manufactures. I also like the dull finish and the gap is well articulated on Shrimp and crabs.