Fly Fishing Forum banner

For starters....

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I am taking up the sport of fly fishing. I am interested in in streams, brooks and rivers fishing primarily for trout. Can someone give me any suggestions on a rod/reel for a rookie?

#2 ·
There have been many such requests on this forum for this information.... I would do a search here with key words like "newbe", etc and you fill find many answers, but you will also see the the reference to going to a reputable fly shop and pose the question as well as a number of books on the subject, including the type of water and fish you might most successfully begin with ,or your location.

#3 ·
I still have my first outfit

mgod:

Try one of the outfit rigs by the fly rod manufacturers. Almost all of them have a complete outfit sold as a package. The G Loomis and Sage discovery series are both great packages to start with. There are also some available from SA and Cortland that should be nice rigs as well. If you decide to step into the realm of the more expensive rods your first set-up makes a great back up or loaner rod.

Good luck in your hunt.

John

#4 ·
If you have a flyshop in your neighborhood, stop in and introduce yourself. When I was behind a counter, it was a special thing to outfit a newbie (no offense intended) with a rod he or she could enjoy for years to come. I have a certain philosophy, and the customer would not always agree, but I always tried to do my best to help and it had nothing to do with making money. If you're lucky, you will have a great shop nearby.

There are two choices - buy something you know you will grow out of, or buy something you won't grow out of for a long time. The latter costs more initially but less in the long run.

Most buy a rod and quickly upgrade, sometimes several times a step at a time until they reach a plateau. My road to the plateau was lined with almost good enough rods and reels, whose prices when added together could have had me at the top rung. But now I can hardly afford the best gear!

Great brands and models do not lose their value either, with recycling options like eBay around. It's hard to unload the lowend gear on eBay but high-end investments have a fair return value whether you are getting out of the sport or upgrading. The cheap stuff just has no resale value, to be blunt.

In any case, you need to balance short-term value with wisdom in a longer term sense. If you think you are going to like the sport, err on the side of higher quality and either you or any person who buys from you will be happier over time.

Juro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.