winter freshwater flyfishing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: winter freshwater flyfishing

Bob Pink
11-17-2002, 09:49 AM
Think it's time to look at freshwater opportunities that are close to home (Boston) to keep me fishing during the winter rather than my typical hibernation. Anybody have any experience flyfishing Jamaica Pond?
Since I'm am an absolute newbie when it comes to sweetwater, any general rules to begin with? :confused:

striblue
11-17-2002, 11:32 AM
Bob...Don't know much about Jamaica Pond except as a kid....let me know what you might find out ,and I will check it out also...maybe I can join you on my numerious trips to visit my mother....Horn Pond in Woburn has Bass and ther is always Whites and Walden.... we can dig up our Orvis stuff for Whites and Walden and fit right in.:D

juro
11-17-2002, 02:14 PM
In addition to spots within the area code, there are certain ponds further south in the state that are exceptional winter trout opportunities. With a 20 degree difference from my town today, it's no wonder. There are some bonus salmon in there up to 20 pounds as well.

If you really want a challenge, the salter browns and trace runs of searun brookies are found this time of year thru spring in the tidal rivers along our coast. It's one of those "in search of" missions but I have logged some hours in this direction and have scored on occasion including a 23 3/4" sea run brown on a Cape stream in November in the late 70's.

Bob Pink
11-17-2002, 04:44 PM
With work and coaching hockey ( you out there ssully? ) I know my opportunities are going to be limited. That's why I was thinking about starting right here in my backyard.
Time to tie up some wooly buggers and such and see who wants to play...

juro
11-17-2002, 04:51 PM
Sounds like a winning strategy, good luck Bob!

FishHawk
11-18-2002, 05:52 AM
One of the best winter fisheries and about 2 hrs from Boston is the Farmington River in Conn. There is a small winter Black Caddis that hatches all winter long. Very challenging stuff. The Swift River is another one that comes to mind. FishHawk

BigDave
11-18-2002, 09:12 AM
Or the Swift...very fishable throught the winter if you can hack the cold. Never freezes over and the crowds disspear. Have caught some of my best fish there in February. If you don't mind light tippets and technical fishin', it can be an incredibly rewarding experience.

A bit farther than Jamaica pond - but you get wary stream trout and a wilderness experience in return.

My .02

Dave