frustration mounts [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: frustration mounts

craig
11-14-2002, 04:15 PM
Another night of frustration! I saw 20 to 30 rises again to night. I tried soft hackle and #22 black nats. Not one hit on either. Anyone got any suggestions trying to solve this mistery?

Domenic
11-14-2002, 05:15 PM
Try a wire midge AKA Brassie. You can get colored wire at most fly shops. I like silver , or black wire to start. Size 18 -22

jared
11-15-2002, 08:25 AM
Craig,

no idea where you are fishing, (other than central-mass someplace), but what kind of rise forms are you seeing?

unless you're definitely seeing them taking duns, I'd probably
opt for a midge emerger 28-32....8x (or 9x) if those fish
get hammered.

-j

John Desjardins
11-15-2002, 09:10 AM
Like Jared said try emergers. If you go that small you may want to add a larger dry fly as an indicator.
The other option, and I know you've tried it, is to toss something big & meaty at them. Are the bait fisherman getting bites?

Brad
11-15-2002, 09:19 AM
Jared you are right on with the emerger. This time of year it is 90% midges if you are seeing rises. You may see the stray BWO but I vote for midges. I would tie on a griffiths gnat to 6x mono and then drop a black beauty or other emerger about 18 inches off of that using 6x fluorocarbon. Grease the gnat and fish the emerger in the surface film. It should sink a couple of inches without additional weight. You can then use the gnat as your strike indicator. The trick is to change the dropper fly every 10 casts until you find what they are taking. Change size, pattern, and color in that order. The brassie is more of a pupa pattern and is usually fished when nothing is rising or before the fish start rising.

Save your soft hackles for the spring caddis.

craig
11-15-2002, 04:04 PM
No, the bait guys aren't getting any takes either. I will try the emerger with the dry set up.

Thanks guys! Report will follow.

Brad
11-18-2002, 04:22 PM
Craig, did you figure the mystery out?

Hawkeye
11-19-2002, 10:48 AM
Are you sure they are rises? Sometimes when a trout is taking nymphs the tail will swirl the surface and this can be mistaken for a rise - I know because I have done it.

John Desjardins
11-19-2002, 11:11 AM
The bait guys (predominantly minnow & worm where you are from my memory) not getting takes either has me wondering if everyone is imitating the wrong forage. This is an offbeat suggestion but how about an egg fly?

pmflyfisher
11-19-2002, 11:37 AM
Some fly fisherman will not use egg flys, I used to be one of them until I saw others them pulling out large fall browns right in front of me in holes I fished thoroughly with nymphs or streamers. In the full they are the # 1 food source if there are brookies, browns, or salmon spawning.

I have since changed my ways and will use them when necessary.

# 1 fly for fall steelhead in great lakes also. :D

Make sure you use small egg or yarn flies hook sizes 10-16 and get them deep fast

Just depends if you are willing to use them.

dewey
11-20-2002, 10:13 PM
Hey - I agree with the emerger. that should do it. If not - try a small hare's ear or other general nymph and strip it very, very slowly (a half inch at a time). This would, I guess, also simulate an emerging bug. The trick, in a stillwater (it is a lake/pond, right?) I find is to put the fly in front of the fish more than anything. Watch those rise forms and try to cast right in front of them. The fish will be moving, so try to figure out which way they are going and intercept. GOOD LUCK.