Not Spam just want to know what people think of my grea Flyfishing site. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Not Spam just want to know what people think of my grea Flyfishing site.

extmtbiker
11-13-2002, 07:49 PM
I am not trying to make spam, just want to know what people think of my site. I have no forums so it wont be a threat to this site. Its http://www.nwfishing.cjb.net

JimW
11-13-2002, 08:36 PM
Geoff,
Looks like your site has some good content. I was looking at the fly tying section and I notice that many of the images don't appear. It is missing one thing though, a link to flyfishingforum.com ;)

marketic
11-13-2002, 09:31 PM
hey Geoff

Good work but you might want to consider getting rid of one of the pictures in your gallery showing a foul-hooked dark chum.

These days, those fish need all the respect they can get!

fredaevans
11-13-2002, 11:31 PM
Use capital letters where required ... and use a spell checker before you post to your site. Review your opening page comments on the Rogue King and you'll see where I'm aimed at with this note.

"Dutch Uncle" here: the folks whose attn. you want, can spell, etc.
First impressions are 99% of 'the law.'

fae

ps: it's Grants (with an 's') Pass.
fae

juro
11-14-2002, 12:46 AM
Thank you for clarifying that there is no threat to the site. But I noticed your hit counter took a good spike to over 2,000 views, thanks to Forum membership's curiosity.

This speaks to the power of people posting direct non-sponsor links in the posts, and why it's unfair to our paying sponsors to put links to business sites (which yours is clearly not). My point is, that with 2.58-2.77 gigabytes of traffic per week over the last few weeks and significant hosting cost increases with the new server and ambitious goals like fly shows on both coasts, etc - we all have a responsibility to take good care of those who take care of us, and to find others who can benefit themselves while they help us pay the bills.

If we reflect upon commercial hoopla we've seen for unsponsored products, it reinforces the power that you, the readership, brings to this community. As we grow we have to learn how to harness this potential into our life-support system or we will have to fold the tent. Thanks to our existing sponsors and member contributions in 2002 it's vastly improved over 2001, but the days when Dana and I can pull funds from our family budgets to keep the project going are long gone. As of 2003 we need to turn a new leaf and get smarter, a bit more professional about funding, budgeting, and planning in general. Adapt or perish.

I haven't worked it all out yet and need to discuss proposals with Dana and Sean. Once we have this all worked out I will post details of our operating plan for 2003.

Sorry extmtbiker I didn't mean to make your playful site promotion into a state of the union address. Let's see a reciprocal link in your link section there dude ;)

fredaevans
11-14-2002, 06:40 AM
but I'd like to hear from you why you want the members of this board to contibute/critique your board, but on your site you fail to grace ''ours'' with even a "small peep?" Zip, Nada, etc., that I could find.

There must be a reason? I'm having trouble coming up with an explanation; so I thought I'd ask ''Why not?":confused:

Dble Haul
11-14-2002, 02:10 PM
Clearing all of those pop-up ads took me back to the arcade days of Asteroids and Centipede.....:eek:

extmtbiker
11-15-2002, 03:26 PM
Hey fred I changed everything you said I think, the capital letters and the Grant's Pass thing Bu I dont know what you are talking about when you said First impressions are 99% of 'the law. But thank you.And also the grand fauther thing I dont know what you mean.

Geoff

pmflyfisher
11-15-2002, 05:44 PM
LOL, for the record I did not link to it I promise Juro.

I can control my curiosity based on what others have said does not look like I am missing much.

fredaevans
11-15-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by extmtbiker
Hey fred I changed everything you said I think, the capital letters and the Grant's Pass thing Bu I dont know what you are talking about when you said First impressions are 99% of 'the law. But thank you.And also the grand fauther thing I dont know what you mean.

Geoff

Geoff: on the 99% of the law think in terms of you've purchased a new car; paid $40,000 for it. When the car gets off the delivery truck (stuck in the middle of $20,000 cars :rolleyes: ) it's dirty, a mess inside and out..... and they hand you the keys. What's your first thought?

Second thought: car gets there, the dealer spiffs it up, wax job, washed and buffed. ... and the dealer hands you the keys.

Either way you've spent the $40 grand, but at which delivery point do you feel better about the deal? To make my point: keep your site clean, neat, tidy, correct spelling (even in your posts to this Board!) , grammer, comma's where they belong. Periods in proper places ... aka good grammer counts for 1000 points. Someone logs on, you want to hold their attention and get them to return. Lack of the above will get them in and out faster than you'd ever dream. Spell checking programs are a wonderful tool ... as long as you understand that many words sound the same and mean very different things. A spell checker can't tell one from the other so will 'clear' them in the program. Example: the words: to, too, two. All pronounced the same, but verrrryyy different words.

As silly as this may sound, when I have an important document I have to send out (including some e mails) I'll type them out, then print a copy before sending. Try reading it 'backwards.' Errors will jump out at you. :>)

The term I used (I think?) was "Dutch Uncle." I'll let you look it up.
fae

extmtbiker
11-16-2002, 02:29 PM
I see now what you have been talking about for the past few post. I appreciate your help!At first I thought you were trying to be mean, but you were not. I will keep all you said in mind and check all my errors of spelling and grammar.

Geoff