Fly Fishing Forum banner

Renzetti or Dyna King

12K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  FlyMan 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I know this question is probably unanswerable but, the salmon season over here does not start till January, I require some "retail therapy " to releive my depression. It's either that or a letter to Santa.

Malcolm

#3 ·
I've had a Renzetti Traveler since I began tying both fresh and saltwater flies six years ago. Now that I'm tying so many saltwater flies and so few fresh, I wish I had not only the Saltwater model but the cam model. The saltwater hooks always slip and when tying numerous flies at a sitting, my thumb and index fingers get mashed tightening the knobs to secure the hooks. Unfortunately, to upgrade this model would be too expensive. I'd definitely recommend the saltwater model if that's your main area of interest.

#4 ·
Willie, I have the Renzetti Traveler and Master but frankly, I think both the Dyna-king and Renzetti are comparable... if you buy the high end you pay less for the top line Dyna-king than you would for the Master... But the Dyna-king, especially for heavey duty saltwater flies is hard to beat... Watched Enrico Puglisi..put a 3/0 hook in the jaws..lock it down and then bend the hook with his fingers almost in two... without the hook springing out. I know I can not do that with the Master.

#5 ·
Guys,
A Renzetti or Dyna King, a tough call and an interesting question but not really one that might produce a definitive answer. Both vices are fine quality tools, and I suspect if one is going to invest this kind of cash you really can't go that far wrong. It may come down to something as simple as what you like because it just feels right.

I've had the folks at Dyna King upgrade my early production series Dyna King Pro when they've introduced new features I like, and I don't believe I'll ever out grow this vice. It has served all my tying needs quite well for some time now, and the holding power of its jaws are what does it for me. Nothing worse than having a hook slip when you're trying to work quickly. John

#6 ·
I have the Barracuda and think it is the best vice in the world, with the exception of the Renzetti Master. It is much more solid than the Traveler.

JMO

I think that buying a fine vise was one of the best fly fishing investments I have ever made. It is very cheap when you consider how much use you will get out of it in a lifetime.

#7 ·
As I've posted before, either the Renzetti or the Dyna King are what I consider to be the best vises available today. I bought a Dyna King Baracuda 5 or 6 years ago (when they first became available) because they have the best jaws in the business. The hook pockets will securely hold any hook you will use for steelhead, atlantic salmon, saltwater, bass, pickerell, musky, northern pike, panfish, or trout. I have tied somewhere near 50,000 flies (mostly steelhead) on this vise since I bought it and it shows no signs of wear.

It is far better (and cheaper in the long run) to buy the best tool for the job than to regret it later when you find the limitations or problems with the cheaper or less well built one.

#11 ·
Malcolm

All of the US fly fishing tackle I saw in England and Zurich was almost twice the price of here in the states a few years ago.

Take a fishing vacation over here and load up on our cheap U.S. prices like my swiss friends do. :D

I am sure you can find a dental fly fishing convention of some interest some wheres here.

Hal

#12 ·
I'm a Renzetti fan but the Dyna King looks like superb piece of engineering also!

One thought, whilst both companies offer full tube fly vices in addition to the standrad types, Renzetti also offers a tube fly accessory which fits their traveller model.

#15 ·
Eddie,

The Abel is a very well built vise; however, it does not have nearly as much clearance between the jaw and the vise stem as the Renzetti or Dyna King Baracuda simply because the jaw arm is quite a bit shorter. Not a problem with trout flies, but it does create a problem if tying larger salmon, steelhead, or saltwater flies. Also, the Abel jaws are not nearly as useful or thoughtfully designed as the Dyna King's double hook pocket jaws. And it is also at least $70.00 more than the Baracuda as well.

#16 ·
FT, you probably tie more flies in a week than I might in my whole life, so I respect your opinion, but...
I have only tied up to 4/0 on the Abel so I'm not sure about the limmitations beyond that.
I never liked the hook pockets on the 'cudda, and the jaws are a little far away from the stem. I like to rest(steady) my left hand on the upright post.
As for the Renzetti, it seems that one needs a hex wrench to alighn the hook shank with the axis of rotation (on the Master). Is that right?
Abel seems to have copied the best from both Dyna King and Renzetti.
The way I see it these three all have pluses and minuses(at these prices they better be mostly pluses). The Abel is not perfect, but I don't think any of them are. It is nice to have a choice.
I still like my Regal too(the best value I think).

#17 ·
Eddie,

I no longer have the time to tie any real quantities of flies. I have a full time day job as an Education Director and teach a full time course load via the internet for the local communicty college and have been doing both for 2 years. I can only tie about 100 dozen in a year now. I only tie for one shop and I only tie speys, some G.P.'s, and some Ally's Shrimps for it. The rest of the flies I tie are for my own fishing or a few close friends.

And I tie several full dressed feather wings for fishing and framing (on blind eye hooks for framing) each year as well. Got to keep the fingers working and justify why I by the materials to tie them to my wife.

You are right about any of the three being a lifetime tool that will meet the needs of nearly any recreational tyer. I prefer the extra length of the Baracuda jaw arm. And yes, the Renzetti needs the alan wrench to adjust the rotation center line of the jaws while the Abel and Baracuda do not.

#18 · (Edited)
I'm just getting started in fly tying, so I speak with no practical experience using either the Renzetti Master or the DynaKing Barracuda. But, before I buy, I have given both a very hard look and have spoken to a number of users of both. From what I am hearing, they are very, very comparable in their capabilities.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Master is a better finished vise. But the Barracuda is no slouch either.

The determining factor, for me, is whether I can justify the difference in price. What I noticed was how much difference there can be in price between the two. You cannot get a new Master for less than $599.00. The Barracuda is $399 for the "kit" version which includes brass appointments (similar to the Master), a midge jaw in addition to the regular jaw, a 3" extended wire trim bag, and the travel pouch - the last three items you have to pay additional for with the Master.

On top of the $200.00 already saved just in the list price, you can get the Barracuda at an additional 20% savings if ordered online from Hook and Hackle. That brings the price of the Barracuda down to $319.00. Can I justify a difference of $280.00 just for a nicer looking finish? Not in my mind. Can you?

And, if you get the plain vanilla version of the Barracuda at $319.00 list, knock 20% off that, you get a price of $255.00 and a difference compared to the Renzetti of $344.00. You can buy TWO Barracudas for the price of one Master and STILL have money left over to pay for a set of the best tying tools available!

All things considered, the best value overall seems to be with the Barracuda.

Hook & Hackle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.