Mystic River Boston observation [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Mystic River Boston observation

Lefty
11-12-2002, 11:18 AM
Sunday I was cruising down 93 toward Beantown. As I crossed the Mystic R. at Medford (pronounced "Medfa") I noticed birds over something. Probably herring or alewives (is there a difference really?) going unmolested. But I wouldn't doubt some schoolies might winter over or hang out late in the rivers. Wish I coulda pulled into that park on the Mystic Valley Parkway. No time.

Lefty

BigDave
11-20-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
I wouldn't doubt some schoolies might winter over or hang out late in the rivers.

Lefty

I think you may be on to something here. On the way to work late last fall, driving over the Mystic R. on McGrath Hwy, I observed some kind of blitz going on by the marina. Birds everywhere. Wish I could have pulled over and checked it out but was running late.

Might be worth a look for you yakkers out there.

BigDave :devil:

Nick
11-20-2002, 12:47 PM
I saw birds passing over the river near the Meadow Glen Mall last year. I passed it off as someone tossing a bag of chips or something in the water. Should have reconsidered. I did catch a 33" bass about 5 mins downriver from there (below the locks) last spring during the herrring run. No reason I could see of the fish not going beyond the locks. :confused:

Nick

BigDave
11-20-2002, 12:51 PM
Nick,

I work 5 minutes from Meadow Glen Mall. May have to pick your brains about the location you mentioned below the locks for some spring lunchtime missions :D

steelheadmike
11-21-2002, 08:45 AM
Have any free time coming to head out ??

BigDave
11-21-2002, 08:49 AM
Hi Mike,

Absolutely. My band has a gig this weekend so I'm kind of tied up but I can usually get a weekday off work. Next Friday and or Saturday might be good for me Nov 29/30.

How has the Hudson bite been?

Dave

Lefty
11-21-2002, 08:57 AM
Hey Dave,

What kind of music you playin? I'm playing Irish trad. Mostly open sessions in town, but a few gigs here and there. During fishing season I play very little due to the fishing obsession. Now it's the other way around. Reels and rods are cleaned and packed away- Fretted instruments are out and being abused heavily.

Lefty

BigDave
11-21-2002, 09:07 AM
Lefty - I love Irish trad. Used to spend a lot of time at the Burren on tuesday nights w/a guiness in hand.

I play guitar in a rock band. Primarily originals but we will cover a Black Crowes tune from time to time. The gig is at SkyBar in Porter Sq. on Sat at 10pm. We play TT's and a few other places too - once every month or 2 keeps it fun.

Nothing wrong with abusing fretted instruments - beats the hell out of watching TV when it's nasty outside.

Dave

:devil:

Nick
11-21-2002, 01:21 PM
Hey Dave! Not sure if you remember me, but we met at the LIght this summer. I live right behind the City Sports in Cambridge. Where's the Sky Bar?

Nick

BigDave
11-21-2002, 01:39 PM
Hi Nick,

Sure I remember you from this summer. That day was brutal - Stri and I fished SB and despite acres of Peanuts at our feet could not get a single hookup aside from a lunker crab. My first Chatham skunk of the year (not easily forgotten)

SkyBar is on Somerville ave. If you are coming from 16/fresh pond parkway, take a right on mass ave and then when mass ave splits at the Porter T station, take the left fork. SkyBar is about a mile down on your right - blue neon signs.

Dave

steelheadmike
11-21-2002, 01:43 PM
BD,

Hudson was on the other day with all the 6-8lb fish you could catch. With a little more rain they should be back. So much bait in the river now its crazy. Could also take a run Down the Hudson towards Manhattan.. here there are some fish down there too.

Nick
11-21-2002, 03:44 PM
That was a rough one!

Thanks for the insight, might have to stop by!

Nick