On the Swing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: On the Swing

craig
11-11-2002, 04:43 PM
While fishing streamers in fast moving water, I have experienced hooking up while my fly is on the swing or just at the end of the swing. Does anyone have any thoughts on why fish seem to strike at that time?

John Desjardins
11-12-2002, 11:48 AM
I've experienced the same thing on streamers, wets & nymphs. Two reasons come to mind. First, the rising fly looks like either an emerging bug or a fish that is injured and trying to escape. Second, is that with a taut line its easier to notice hits than earlier in the swing when there is some slack in the line.

craig
11-12-2002, 12:51 PM
Good point concerning the taught line causing the fly to rise. I did not think about that before.

Have you ever twiched the fly during the swing and gotten any results? I have not gotten any takes twiching during the swing while fishing for trout and salmon, but it sure works out at the south tip rip :hehe: .

Brad
11-12-2002, 01:30 PM
You might want to pick up a copy of Joseph Bates book on streamer fishing. It is a excellent book with patterns and techniques. I believe that most strikes occur when the fly is presented across the current because the fish like to hit bait on the side rather than from the head or tail. In effect the strike zone is bigger. John is right about the rise during the swing resembling an emerger rising to the surface. If you want the ultimate experience of fish striking your fly on the swing try fishing soft hackles.

Brad

John Desjardins
11-12-2002, 02:06 PM
Try the soft hackles on the swing near the new hilking path we've discussed elsewhere. ;)

SDHflyfisher
11-12-2002, 06:58 PM
when i am fishing nymphs and emerger patterns i usually twitch them near the end of the drift. it looks like a nymph rising to emerge.

Dble Haul
11-13-2002, 08:15 AM
Another thing to consider is that when a streamer swings at the end of the drift, it turns sideways. This gives the fish a profile of the fly, as opposed to the usual rear end or upwards view. This change of view can be all that it takes to turn a fish on, convincing it that the fly is in fact a baitfish.