Haweye's boat name [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Haweye's boat name

FishHawk
06-27-2001, 05:40 AM
Maybe I missed it but what did you name your red boat?
FishHawk

striblue
06-27-2001, 08:15 AM
HOW ABOUT "TOMAHAWK".LOVE THOSE INDIAN NAMES.

Hawkeye
06-27-2001, 09:26 AM
We finally decided on "Striper Striker" though it hasn't been painted on yet.

Lefty
06-27-2001, 09:33 AM
Forget the name, I'm dying to know what the heck kind of boat it is???? C'mon Popeman tell. you must be having a ball in it.

Lefty

juro
06-27-2001, 09:46 AM
I had the honor of fishing from it Saturday on the AM shift - all I can say is that like Gregg himself, it's a fish magnet! Had a great day Hawkeye, thank you!

Roop
06-27-2001, 09:52 AM
Truly a machine!

One thing though, I still don't understand why we had to keep pouring bottle after bottle of Pogie oil into that reservoir on the transom?

juro
06-27-2001, 10:10 AM
Dunno, you were the one trolling while I got out to walk the flat. I thought you'd know? }>

Lefty
06-27-2001, 10:48 AM
Were you using the same brand of Pogey oil that I saw Juro smearing all over his ladder at Chatham 2 weeks ago? 8)

Lefty

juro
06-27-2001, 10:55 AM
That was too messy, I've gone to an IV dispenser!

BTW - I hope no one is taking this pogie oil thing seriously... I don't even know if there is such a thing. Smelly Jelly in pogie flavor? Pogie power bait? Eau de pogie'?

Hawkeye
06-27-2001, 11:21 AM
The oil that day was just an extra. We generally use concentrated oil tabs that fit into small dispensers on the bottom of the boat. Two tabs will last most of a day even with cruising between drifts.

Terry,

The boat is a 15' MFG(?) brand with a '90 50hp Merc. engine. If the fishers are fairly competent it can fish three. If I can ever figure out my web page thing I'll post a pic.

striblue
06-27-2001, 11:56 AM
Greg.. when you have room let me know ..I would love to go out with you... on the boat that is...

Lefty
06-27-2001, 12:02 PM
Greg,
Sounds like a good rig. Best of luck with it.

Hey, is there a boat ramp at Sesuit?

Lefty

Roop
06-27-2001, 12:39 PM
Just checked a bottle I had left in my car - Baby Oil!

No wonder why we got skunked & Juro had success when we dropped him off!

Hawkeye
06-27-2001, 12:56 PM
Terry,

There are two ramps. One on each side of the harbor.

John,

You'd be very welcome. I'll be in touch.

juro
06-27-2001, 01:31 PM
Terry -

Barnstable has a nice public launch as well and leads to the sheltered area within Sandy Neck in case the wind is blowing that day.

On the Yarmouth / Dennis line west of Chapin Beach there is a nice landing on the Yarmouth side but you will need to play the tides here.

Places to launch a yak are plentiful but in some of these access points town resident parking may apply 9-5 and you might have a 1/2 mile drag if you need to go home at low tide.

There are a couple of other spots to launch at full tides tucked away in Barnstable County near Bone Hill if the others don't work for you.

Lefty
06-27-2001, 02:48 PM
juro (06-27-2001 01:31 p.m.):
Terry -

Barnstable has a nice public launch as well and leads to the sheltered area within Sandy Neck in case the wind is blowing that day.

Been there with Art Sawayer and intend to use it again for Barnstable Harbor.

On the Yarmouth / Dennis line west of Chapin Beach there is a nice landing on the Yarmouth side but you will need to play the tides here.

Places to launch a yak are plentiful but in some of these access points town resident parking may apply 9-5 and you might have a 1/2 mile drag if you need to go home at low tide.

There are a couple of other spots to launch at full tides tucked away in Barnstable County near Bone Hill if the others don't work for you.

Done that one too on Dennis side. Yes had to play tides big time. My boat is great for that stuff. But I was thinking of more east around Sesuit. Hasn't this discussion been about east of Barnstable Harbor?

Lefty

juro
06-27-2001, 03:08 PM
My wild assed guess FWIW is that the bayside has fish from Sandy Neck all the way to Wellfleet with some spots being better than others on any given day.

Don't know how long it will last, it's usually a schoolie show by now unless you head out to Billingsgate Shoals.

MarkDoogue
06-28-2001, 12:15 AM
Why not name it "M.A.S.H".

FishHawk
06-28-2001, 05:24 AM
Maybe you could bottle and sell that special oil to some of the hoards out there.
Sounds like your having fun with the boat. Maybe you could tow some of us in our yaks and be the mother ship. Tight lines.
FishHawk

Adrian
06-29-2001, 01:36 AM
If you're looking for a bulk supplier.....

http://www.queenscreek.com/oil.htm

;)

juro
06-29-2001, 08:37 AM
That stuff is for real??? One has to wonder how many big pogies are reduced for oil, when they have been so scarce for years.

The other thing that pisses me off is the harvest of nearly a million tons of sand eels every year. I am still researching the extent of that one but if you search the web on sand eel (sand lance, candlefish) you will see some serious concern about the harvest of these forage species in the atlantic.

(more to come)