Showtime!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Showtime!!

juro
11-09-2002, 07:25 PM
Well almost. It's definitely time to think about how we will pay for the booths in Seattle and Boston this year. There are two shows in Boston, we'll only be able to do one of them this year.

I will try to dream something up and will post shortly. Ideas are welcome!

NrthFrk16
11-09-2002, 07:33 PM
I am sure that there are members and others out there that wouldn't mind having a collection of another member's flys.

Would love to have a collection of your Rats, Sedges and Caddis patterns or maybe some of Striblue's killer saltwater bugs.

The member ties up the flies throws them into a nice Wheatley or C&F Box and they are auctioned off...all proceeds going to The Forum.

Just a thought to get the ball rolling... :)

striblue
11-09-2002, 09:22 PM
I agree... I would love to participate some way in the Seattle show (In absencia).. I had some "Chatham Sand eels" that went well in a silent auction for the annual Boston CCA meeting.. 16 assorted types, all proven , in a white foam box.. I will have several for the Boston show and will talk to Juro about it.. But let me know what you will need for Seattle and I will get them ready if you want. Juro, to bad we can only do one but that would let us see one of the shows in greater detail I guess,(although I did sneak off several times).

JimW
11-10-2002, 07:49 AM
We still have gift certificates available. The procedes go directly to the forum. Right now it's only potential cash and will remain so until people take advantage of a good deal.

20% off certificates are available for the following shops

3ea $50 to Old salt in Hingham, MA you pay $40
4ea $50 to Cape Cod Kayak in Taunton and Falmouth, MA you pay $40
2ea $25 to Billington Sea Kayak in Plymouth, MA you pay $20
1ea $50 to The Bear's Den in Taunton, MA right across the street from Cape Cod Kayak. you pay $40

This is a great chance to help the forum and save a few bucks.

If you're interested just respond to this thread.

Hawkeye
11-11-2002, 09:50 AM
Didn't we get some kind of non-profit booth at the Wilmington show last year? If so can we do that again?

DEERHAAWK
11-12-2002, 09:51 PM
Good day,
I build traditional Adirondack furniture. A chair and foot rest might go well for the Seattle show. Hand-made, cedar, people love 'em. comfy!
Let me know...
Deerhawk ;)

JimW
11-13-2002, 08:54 PM
The Bear's den gift certificate was taken by Smcdermott . Thanks for your support Sean. Check out the custom died hackle and bucktail they really have some nice colors.

FishHawk
11-14-2002, 04:57 AM
I can help put in some time at the booth in Boston if you need me. FishHawk

juro
11-14-2002, 06:39 AM
Thanks Sean! Enjoy the discount and the Bears Den is a fantastic flyshop. You will have no problem spending money there, I know I wouldn't ;)

juro
11-14-2002, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by FishHawk
I can help put in some time at the booth in Boston if you need me. FishHawk

I appreciate the offer and I'll take you up on it but the problem is we have to get in there first!

DEERHAAWK
11-16-2002, 07:06 PM
A chair built in the classic style reminiscent of the old Fishing/Hunting Lodges of Maine.Made completely of Tight Knot Cedar, it measures an impressive 45" high at the back, is 43" stem to stern, and has a generous 24" wide seat, just so you can add that Down throw on a crisp morning or evening with plenty of room to snuggle in!
The arm rests are a full 32"long and taper out to a full 5+ inches wide, enough room for your arm, hand, and a cup of what ever your pleasure might be! It is finished with 2 coats of Watco Teak Oil. It has a 9" foot rest that fits under the chair when not in use.
These are custom made, 1 at a time, for discriminating sportsman and sportswomen.

Chris
11-19-2002, 11:30 AM
I know I haven't had much had a lot to say lately but you know you can count on my help. Let me know what you need and I'll see what I can do.

Eddie
11-19-2002, 12:12 PM
An advancement on the fly idea. Perhaps people could donate flys(maybe in conjunction with the swaps) and when there are a whole bunch of them, they would be raffled off in one big pot.
I think that another sight has done very well with autions. Contributors donated tackle and services and other members bid on them.
Maybe it would help if we knew what kind of numbers we(Juro and Dana and the Forum) were trying to hit. What are the forums operating costs?
How much is needed to participate in a show? I'm sure that these costs have been mentioned befor and I just didn't see it.

DEERHAAWK
11-19-2002, 12:49 PM
Eddie,
Here, Here! Looks to me that this thread has been hit 250 times as of this post, and responses have been good! Lots of people interested in this. Potential at these shows is great! I've done them, you meet alot of people! Soooooo.... what say, Juro and Dana and friends? Lets do the how, what, where, when, and how much routine. Seems to me it's time to put on the waders and step onto the water, forget about the fact that you can't see the bottom right now, go with the that the final result might be!
(Whoa, dude, like thats so philisophical man, with the water and all)
Alright, Alright! Sorry, I got alittle deep :o
Were here guys, organize your troops.
Deerhawk ;)

juro
11-19-2002, 02:36 PM
Eddie -

Because no one is lining their nest with proceeds here, our budget is pretty light - but because we are far from being good at fund raising while being great at eating up costs, it's always a tough battle.

We will be working on the 2003 budget goals. Are you any good with these things?

Deerhaawk -

Words to wade by brother!

Robert Meiser
11-19-2002, 06:30 PM
Juro,

We have already booked booths at the " Fly Fishing Shows " in Seattle and San Rafeal. The booth will be represented by Kate Davidson / Paul Miller of Siskiyou Aviary(www.siskiyouaviary.com), and myself.

Volume One Issue 3 of the Schmookler/Sils "Art of Angling Journal" has a great article on these guys, and will give you some background on what these folks are doing.

We have been doing shows together for several years and feel that the Fly Fishing Shows are definitly the best that we have attended.

Just a thought....Perhaps we could share a booth, or the Spey Clave/Forum could do a walk-in to the booth.

If this is not workable, I know for sure that we: Paul, Katie and myself as a group would be willing to help out in any way that we can to promote the Forum via handouts etc. from our booth in both the San Rafeal, and Seattle Fly Fishing Shows.

Mail me if you have any thoughts on this.........Bob Meiser

longrod
11-19-2002, 08:31 PM
For those on the North shore of MA who might be interested I need to clear out the back yard.
I have two row boats that I would like to sell.
I built these myself and have used them for flyfishing in Beverly and Ipswich for several
years. I will accept any reasonable offer to go to the forum. The catch is they do need work some of which I will do for cost of materials.
One is about 15feet long and has a 38" beam. Rows
great, though heavy. The other is 11.5 long and 56" wide. You can stand and cast in this boat it is stable. Both are unique looking. I will sand, glass and paint for the cost of materials contact me through the forum if interested. All proceeds from sale to go to forum.
Mark

FlyFishAR
11-20-2002, 06:01 PM
Juro:

How much $$ do you need to make it happen?

John

longrod
11-20-2002, 07:55 PM
I was thinking $200.00 for both boats.
However, you should look and decide if that is fair. Because I am not taking money for them I would consider less.
Mark

Adrian
11-21-2002, 07:59 AM
Juro

The auction idea is a good one - I saw this in action over on another forum about this time last year and a lot of money was raised.

People can donate whatever they can afford to contribute...

Flies are always very popular

Gear - any rods, reels, lines sitting down in the basement collecting dust?

Fishing trips

Casting lessons

Books

Pictures

etc., etc.,

It seems to work best with its own forum with each auction starting a new thread.

People put things up for auction with, say a one week time limit.

Everyone interested bids and an appointed moderator makes the final call on who the winning bid is from and that auction thread is "closed". The buyer sends a check/paypal to the forum and the seller mails the goodies to the buyer (or details for things like trips etc.).

Now would be a great time to get it started with the Holiday season coming.

I think that's how it works but I probably forgot something ......

Eddie
11-21-2002, 05:11 PM
Juro, I am sure that no one is lining any pockets. The only reason I think making a budget public is that it gives people a goal to achieve. When we raised $ for the spey rod, I think that the attainable goal gave members a push to show their support.
I like the auction idea. I would participate.
Unfortunately, I have no accounting skills or I would volunteer.
The San Rafael show is a very good show, and one day FFForum should definately have a booth there.

juro
11-21-2002, 05:57 PM
I would be happy to make the upcoming 2003 budget public, my question was is anyone good at doing this kind of stuff? If the budget game is to plan out what we might spend in the upcoming year, you're guess is as good as mine or better. We might do better quarter to quarter.

We'd like to be able to cover two $700-800 fees for 2 flyshow booths on different coasts, higher hosting costs anticipated to get rid of the badwidth limits (currently reviewing dedicated hosting choices meaning plenty of instructional videos), a gear-based award system for moderators with an increased responsibility level, software licenses like a bulletin board lifetime license purchase, fly line purchases to award people who get an article published in the guild, a service award for a guildmeister, and other programs we haven't quite gotten going yet. I have spent upwards of $200 monthly on cell phone charges coordinating with potential sponsors and forum members and would like to find a national unlimited program that would be partially covered by the budget (although that wouldn't help w/ canada and abroad). And there is always room for special thank you's to all the folks who give their time and care to the forum. I am backlogged on all of that as it is!

After all that a buffer would be nice to carry over to start the next year without a need to raise funds, to put down the $500 on the rental of the Reading field house for instance for the mid-winter casting fling, etc.

You raise a good point, let me work up a spreadsheet and see where the prediction ends up, FWIW. Then from that basis we can put together schedule of events that will be a blast for people to attend while getting us to our annual goals.

It may very well be that the biggest factor to our success will be our relationships with our valued sponsors. We need to be the most rewarding partner they could ever hook up with. We need to find ways to interact with them not in a muted advertiser sense, but in an active exchange of ideas, experiences, proofs of concepts, etc. Like the way we talk to Simon Gawesworth for example. Like the way we have sponsors at our flyshow booth, or have casting claves, etc. Mutually rewarding in a sense the standard commercial advertising arrangements just don't understand.

It's an important time, now that fishing has for the most part cooled down in most of the northern hemisphere, to think about all of these things that will make the future promising for the brotherhood of people who comprise this place.

Thanks for the help making 2002 incredible - and let's use this time to move forward into 2003 with the momentum to make each year even better than the one before it!

JimW
11-21-2002, 09:03 PM
Speaking of sponsors. Yes, it's me again. The guy that keeps pushing those gift certificates. see the message above. For all of you who have chipped in, thanks again, hope you got some good stuff.

Does anyone have any interest in kayak accessories. I could use the gift certificates to cape cod kayak and billington sea kayak and purchase pumps, dry bags, compasses, whistles, pfds. These items could be included in the upcoming auctions. Sure would be a lot easier to just move the gift certificates as is, but I'm getting sick of looking at them in my fly tying drawer and it's time to turn them into web hosting bucks. Would some of you beyond driving range be interested in paddling gear? I'll pick up the shipping within the 48. The Old Salt certs should go before xmas, a buddy at work has been eyeing the lampson velocity.

Another thing to consider is sponsor retainment. They provide the site with cash to keep things rolling. What do we do for them? Are they getting back what's layed out in advertising? These are questions I would ask myself before renewing with a website or publication. Gotta get the bang for the buck. If you visit one of the sponsors let them know you appreciate the contribution to the site.

DEERHAAWK
11-22-2002, 01:00 AM
Juro,
OK I am going to step up to the plate here. We need to start with 3 "Goal Atainment Lists" You split these into 4 segments each;
January-April / Spring / 16 weeks
May-August / Summer / 16 weeks
September-December / 16 weeks
There is a Holiday period from December 21-January 5 when no activity happens.
List under these 3 Seasonal segments, all Goals with $ needed.
Each Goal will have;
Begin date-Initate Goal
Mid date- Progress report/ reassesment if needed
End, or Final date-Progress report/ End result
There is no Winter segment, you are either finishing up Fall, or starting Spring. 3 segments, less busy.

Need to allow 10% min. increase for every goals financial stats.
Example: Booth at show "X" is $500.-, Atainment for this should be $550.-. This is used for unseen expenses. During the final phase, tally the reciepts, any $ left over goes into a Buffer acct.
Buffer acct. grows as each season progresses. You can even have some of the smaller goals go directly for the Buffer acct.
Tri-Season reports are due on the second week of each sucessive season. This shows goals atained, financial, and is your paper trail.
I know this is pretty bare bones, but its a start, and simple is better. Bottom line, it can be expanded on, added to etc.
I know you guys dont know me from a frozen ice fishin hole, but I sure would like to be a part of this big picture. Im just a fisherman like you, with 20 years of Marketing experience!
I remain a brother in fish...
Deerhawk

NrthFrk16
11-22-2002, 01:33 AM
Deerhawk-
You are more then welcome to manage my finace's anytime you would like!!

...get me out of all this credit card debt and get me out of folks' house!!!

I know, I know...I first need to get a real job i.e. leave the flyshop! :hehe:

longrod
11-23-2002, 06:10 PM
I will start a new thread and give a location to look at boats.

Chris
11-24-2002, 01:36 PM
Juro,
I know we've batted this idea around a bit before but I'll pose it again. I can have stickers, labels and decals made for next to nothing. I was thinking 3 1/2" x 9" with whatever graphics you think appropriate. If we get it going soon there may be enough response before the shows to get a booth at one or more of them.
Call me or PM me soon and maybe they can be available for stockings on Christmas.

Also in keeping in line with the instructional videos. Why not CD ROM's on different topics- eg. "The Art of the Double Haul", " Stealth on the FLats", " Shortlining in the Breakers". All things many are very intrested in but aren't always able to attend when they are being presented. They could be posted on a link not unlike Car Talk's "Shameless Commerse Division. I definately know some beginners that would love to see some basic saltwater techniques detailed on CD.

Adrian
11-27-2002, 04:03 PM
Having mentioned Marlboro in another post I went hunting and wondered how we were doing with the fund drive?

1) Any thoughts on the auction idea? I have a 9ft 9wt soft action rod to donate. I picked it up at a show a couple of years ago. Its built on a St. Croix blank and is beutifully finished - used only once.

2) I need to order some stuff from Fishermens feathers. Do we have some soprt of link so they know the order came through the Forum?

A Happy Thanksgiving to one and all from Glynis and me!

It's a great priviledge to be able to call this wonderful country home:)