Ipswich R. to Cranes Beach [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ipswich R. to Cranes Beach

Lefty
06-29-2001, 09:00 AM
Took a day off yesterday to take the family out on the boat. We launched on the Ipswich R. and motored down to the mouth and Cranes Beach area (no not all the way from Reading, too many branches and dams :)).

This is a beautiful spot with access to P.I. Sound also if you just motor around the Neck. I'm happy to report there is a healthy stock of micros and schoolies in the river stuffing themselves with sandeels. Lots of sandeels.
Observed tons of interesting structure including: many mini flats, rips, rocks, surf. Incredible ammount of variety in one place. And it's out of the way (translation: pain in the neck to get to). A great day. I didn't do much serious fishing with kids and all, but we got into a few of the scoolsters. This kids enjoyed that.

Ter...ah Lefty (oops almost let down my alter ego guard there, I must be warming up to this crew)

striblue
06-29-2001, 09:28 AM
I know you as Terry anyway. Combined day is still great. The Kids never forget those days.

Lefty
06-29-2001, 04:57 PM
Forgot to mention: WE GOT CHOWED BY THE GREENHEADS!!>(

Lefty

juro
06-29-2001, 09:59 PM
OUCH!

Man I hate those things. Makes me like windy days.

I love that set of shoals where the marsh grass grows up inside past that big rocky point. It's the one up inside Plum Island inlet. Sight fishing spot.

Did you find fish hanging around the rocks on the east side of Sandy Pt?

No, here's the big question - Clam Box or Woodmans? ;-)

Jim O
06-30-2001, 07:31 AM
First the important part WOODMANS by far. Next time out check out the flats at the other end of Cranes where the essex comes out perfect flats with bars and channels and killer sea clams .
TheAugust full moon will take out the green heads until then Skin so soft by the gallon.
Jim O

Lefty
06-30-2001, 09:18 AM
Shore dinner by the Mrs. Yummy chicken salad roll ups in whole wheat flour tortillas. So no need for the clams. I figure I must have saved enough to buy that new fly reel.
The grassy soals inside Ipswich River are real fine looking. Didn't make it east of Sanndy Pt.

Lefty