New Hampshire Fish and Game Survey [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New Hampshire Fish and Game Survey

Stone
11-08-2002, 11:26 AM
Hi guys, long time since I have been here with all the school work and having to make a living too.

Need your help. For an English Comp class I need some help getting your opinion on something. Can you respond to the below survey in this thread or email me at mr_stone_man@yahoo.com? Thanks!

What projects do you know New Hampshire Fish & Game (NHF&G) is currently working on?
Do you think they benefit or hinder fisherman in NH?
Why?

How do fishing regulations in New Hampshire compare to other states?
Do you think the differences benefit or hinder fisherman in NH?
Why?

How do fishing regulations in New Hampshire compare to the state ten years ago?
Why?

Do you like to fish in NH?
Why or why not?

On the quality of fishing in NH, how does it comepare to other states?

What about 10 years ago in NH? Is it better now, or was it then?

Thanks, thats it!

juro
11-08-2002, 12:34 PM
What projects do you know New Hampshire Fish & Game (NHF&G) is currently working on?
Do you think they benefit or hinder fisherman in NH?
Why?

I can't speak for all projects but I am aware of the Brood Stock Salmon program in the Merrimac and fish it frequently despite the expense of out of state licenses and the tags which I will never use (C&R).

I am especially impressed by Jon Greenwood's work on this program, and try to attend their open house each year.

It's a troubled fishery with the root cause of the problem being ignored - dams and habitat. The river is in sorry condition and without bi-directional passage the runs will never recover. Habitat in the headwaters is good, getting there is the problem.

Overall the brood program raises awareness that the river was once one of the greatest atlantic salmon producers in the nation.

Definitely benefits them.

How do fishing regulations in New Hampshire compare to other states?
Why?

Parr for the course, some are much more stringent while others more lax. I am impartial on this item.

How do fishing regulations in New Hampshire compare to the state ten years ago?
Why?

My perspective is that there has been little change - NH laws have always been strict and that's a good thing. Although fishermen might moan and groan, they have benefited through the preservation of the resource.

Do you like to fish in NH?
Why or why not?

I enjoy fishing in NH for indigenous species but most of the waters are put and take stocked fisheries. I do not enjoy fisheries that are planted for harvest - it creates the wrong thinking in the angling community. Resources should be managed for long term success, not put and take. Too much stocking mentality.

Where the trucks don't dump pellet-pout trout, I love to fish NH.

On the quality of fishing in NH, how does it comepare to other states?

Overall it should be rated as a high quality fishing state. Not the best in the union but up there. My subjective rating would be #35 out of 50 states, meaning 15 states would rank better for my standards.

What about 10 years ago in NH? Is it better now, or was it then?

I really can't say, so I won't. If they made a shift toward more natural management practices and less stocked trout proliferation I would fish up there more.

Stone
11-18-2002, 09:33 AM
Juro, thanks!

That is exactly the information I am looking for. John, thanks also for emailing a response.

If anyone else would like to answer this for me I would be greatly appreciated. I am gathering the facts on NHF&G right now but a big part of my argument for the paper is what the perception of the fishermen is.

Again thanks!