Big Vacation Week [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Big Vacation Week

FredA
06-28-2001, 08:20 PM
Don't know why I always take the week the fourth off, given the crowds, traffic and general craziness. Guess I'll have to make the best of it.

Plans call for dawn or dusk fishing, then spend the rest of the time trying to show my wife a good time, convince her that she likes the Cape.

Tuesday she works so I get to fish till I drop. If the Tues. rip trip doesn't materialize I'll go to North Monomoy for the first time this year.

End of the outgoing in the am, Thurs. or Friday may be a good reason to visit the light for the first time this year.

Then I'll have to buy the kayak and spend some time figuring out what to do with it.

Sound like a plan? Any other ideas?

Fred A.

admin
06-28-2001, 08:37 PM
Here's an idea, FWIW...

Buy the kayak on Monday, then put her in the water out on the bayside flats as the tide rushes in. There will be a bit of a portage' initially but you will get to fish the outer bars with a way of getting back at your leisure, long after the fish have come up onto them.

On second thought, there will be a lot to think about out there and that might not be a good choice for a maiden voyage...

- where the gear goes
- how to get back in safely
- how to keep the yak on the belt (lanyard?)
- compass, safety
- weather
- first trip hijinks

Maybe Bass River from the Yarmouth launch, working up around Stage Island's back end shoal from the island side as the tide floods (sight fishing?). Just slide the yak onto the peat bank.

The bathtub would be a great adventure and a reasonable maiden trip.

Bass Hole (Chase Garden) from the Yarmouth launch would let you row out on the flats and fish the flood as well, and the tide would carry you back to port.

South cape has a lot of great spots to row to from the lot, places ending in "Neck".

Pleasant Bay is another nice option, if you start early enough you would ride the last of the drop out and get the flood to push you back in.

Tuesday doesn't look like it's going to fill up but one never knows. In any case I envy you having the whole week off.

From MikeF's post it sounds like a visit to Grumpy's is in order!

FredA
06-28-2001, 09:24 PM
You know the bayside flats is what I have on my mind but for the maiden voyage I'll put in at Follins pond, get the feel of the current in the narrows between Follins and Kelly's Bay. I'm not a total neophyte, grew up spending my summers on the water, but at my age the motor skills need to have the rust knocked off when doing something new. The other place I'd really like to get familiar with is Barnstable Harbor.

Ya, from the looks of the latest roster North Monomoy looks like the Tuesday plan. Sorry Bill but 150 bucks to get down to the point ain't going cut it.

I'm sure the wife and I will hit the Marshside once or twice during the week.

Regards,
Fred A.

striblue
06-28-2001, 09:50 PM
Fred ,I can meet you at the light on Tuesday around 4 or 5 if you don't make the trip. or take a yak around the bath tub. Lt me know. I will be down all week fishing each morning from 4 to about 10

FredA
06-29-2001, 08:53 AM
John,
I'll be looking for you down at the light whenever I get down. Tour of the bathtub sounds good, but at this point plans are a bit loose. Heading down in the next hour or so, so I hope everybody has a safe and happy fourth.

Fred A.

Nathan Smith
06-29-2001, 06:50 PM
I will be around from the Tuesday evening to Sunday with my yak if anyone wants to hook up

juro
06-29-2001, 09:57 PM
Nate! Good to hear from you. Pleasant Bay would be a good bet for yakkin' riding the tide to bring you back to where you started. In fact it would be a great way to reach the inlet and the shoals in front of the lighthouse as long as you played the tides right of course.

Fishing the inlet - start near the bottom of the tide, ride down and let the flood take you back up.

Fishing the flats across from Strong Island - opposite. Start at the top of the tide, let it push you up and ride it down.

Man that sounds pretty exciting! The yak is starting to sound *real* good!

Nathan Smith
06-30-2001, 05:47 PM
Sorry I haven't been around lately. Since I got back from X-Mas I have been working like a dog to get a new set of products out the door. I put in over 60 hours this week. But now that it is done I will put together my report on X-Mas and some other stuff.

Adrian
06-30-2001, 05:58 PM
Nate,

Really looking forward to hearing about your xmas trip!