tubes again [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: tubes again

sean
11-06-2002, 05:02 PM
Just a quick question I have not seen covered in other posts.

How aften are you guys useing the brass tubes in the winter? Are they only a last resort or common with winter flows? I am figuring a sinktip will get even the plastic jobs down so I am not seeing the need for brass unless you are fishing a floating line for some reason.

Thanks for the help,

-sean

pmflyfisher
11-06-2002, 05:13 PM
Fred Evans is an SME on brass tubes and getting deep. I have a few of his, but think I will have to rerig my 7/8 weight spey to throw them very well.

The plastic tubes are not going to cut it for my winter steelheading dredging needs, thats for sure.

juro
11-06-2002, 05:46 PM
I've fished brass tubes a little. On the plus side, they have a great profile, allow hook replacement, and despite their weight (brass) ride well in current. On the negative side brass tubes can hang up in slow currents and they can be tough to cast if too large/long.

There are also tubes you make from model airplane fuel lines you buy at the hobby store for cheap $$. Tyler turned my on to this trick I think (worth a search).

Many winter fish lay in soft water, especially during high water. If I still lived out in steelhead country I would try brass tubes on a floating line as an option to heavy sinktips.

I'll have to scan and post some of the ones I've received in swaps over the years.

fredaevans
11-06-2002, 05:51 PM
Sean, good point about not needing the 'heavier' bod's if your using a sink tip line. Exception to this I've found is if the water is quite fast or deep (or combo of both) the extra weight really helps.

Even in our present 'low water conditions' there are several runs that I'll use both to get down fast and assure I stay there. Espec. so if I'm chasing Mr. Salmon.
fae

GBSkunk
11-06-2002, 09:58 PM
Around here there are more than one kind of brass tube. Mark has the lightweight brass tubes in multiple diameters and lengths. There are also the lined brass tubes which are much heavier. A 1.5" lined brass tube, for me anyway, is a lot to cast.

I mostly fish the plastic and the lightweight brass.