winter fly fishing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: winter fly fishing

SDHflyfisher
11-04-2002, 07:07 PM
just wanted to know if any one had any info on winter fly fishing? sadly wi trout season has ended already just need any info for future fly fishing:confused:

pmflyfisher
11-04-2002, 07:47 PM
fyi

There are wisconsin trout rivers which flow into lake michigan that have steelhead, salmon, and brown trout runs all winter. You will have to gear up to an 8 weight fly rod and fly reel with a decent drag, plus some good winter fishing waders and clothes though. Some good andramous fishing to be had check it out at the wisconsin DNR site. Also see the link I put up in the great lakes forumn section on wisconsin fishing.

Good luck

SDHflyfisher
11-05-2002, 07:13 PM
thanks for the info:)

pmflyfisher
11-05-2002, 09:37 PM
Check this site out, beleive all of this rivers are open most of the winter for all lake michigan andramous trout and salmon. But check it out.

I have to get up there more myself, hint in November and December there is some good fishing still to be had.

http://www.steelheadsite.com/locations/wisconsin.html

SDHflyfisher
11-06-2002, 08:16 PM
that is a pretty good web site thanks

pmflyfisher
11-06-2002, 08:51 PM
Just don't blame me when you catch steelhead fever and put your stream trout fishing gear essentially in the closet, like I did in 1980.:hehe:

SDHflyfisher
11-07-2002, 05:26 PM
i would like to go for steelhead i have gone a few times but nothing was happening. and even when i go for them i have my trusty #3 with me and a larger rod of course. and i will never put my stream trout gear in the closet.

SDHflyfisher
11-07-2002, 05:28 PM
i don't plan on doing any winter fishing this year but i do plan on going out during the early trout season

pmflyfisher
11-07-2002, 06:01 PM
Yep, I know about the early trout season up there, but thats when I am winter steelheading down here with my available time.