Western CT coast, 11/3 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Western CT coast, 11/3

Dble Haul
11-03-2002, 08:54 PM
Adrian, Sean, Quentin and I met up at the Audubon sanctuary in Milford at high tide and planned on following the ebb out to the bars at the mouth of the Housatonic. A few hours later and we knew that we were in the wrong place.....no bait, birds, or fish. We moved upriver a bit to the I95 bridge where Q pulled a handful of hickory shad. At this point, things were still slow and we parted, Adrian heading back, Sean heading to Harkness (?), and Q and I over to Old Saybrook.

Old Saybrook treated the two of us very well. A few hickory shad and umpteen schoolies apiece.....good action on the 8 weight, and much warmer than that biting wind in Milford. We stayed until dark, and then the temp dropped like a stone. Yes, I'm still a certified whimp in the cold. :razz:

It was good seeing everyone again and meeting Sean for the first time. I really wanted to see Adrian hang a cow or gator on his spey rod, but it wasn't in the cards.

Q, next time we're into fish like that again we'll have to have some experimental flies with us. We'll call it "Schoolies 101 Wet Lab".

Quentin
11-03-2002, 09:38 PM
The causeway 'Say'ved the day! It would have been nice if Milford Point lived up to its potential, but the "fish per cast" final hour in Old Saybrook certainly made up for the slow start :smokin: . Schoolies 101 Wet Lab could be a fun experiment. I think the biggest challenge would be to find a fly that the fish won't hit!

Even though we didn't get to see Adrian hook up on the spey rod it was still quite impressive to see how much line he could throw with it :whoa: .

Sean -- Sorry we didn't get into any fish in Milford. Hope you found some action at Harkness.

Q

Striper
11-03-2002, 10:23 PM
I don't want to ruin your day guy's but Milford was rocking today and I am going to be on the water bright and early in the morning. Birds everywhere, you were too far west, from Pond Point to West Haven and beyond birds and fish very close to shore. Saw a couple of guy's from the other board out in their kayaks off of Anchor Beach and I am sure they were into fish most of the day. I hung many fish in the 25-30" range but a friend of mine landed a 42" fish off of Pond Point. The guy who I went out with today with my wife had to bag out at around 3:00 so I went home and quickly put the waders on and shot back down to Pond Point to wade the last of the outgoing. I missed over a dozen fish that were all 35" and up, I swear it on my mother and fathers grave, they were all very large fish and to prove it a friend of mine who was standing 5 ft. from me landed a 36" and 40+" fish tonight and he also missed several fish as well. These were real slobs and very aggressive, we were throwing poppers as this spot is only about 5 ft. deep at that stage of the tide, if I had more water I would have been throwing the Wild Eye shads. Those jigs have been the holy grail the last few days and have been taking some real big fish as they look exactly like the baby bunker that are so prevalent. Wish I could have flyrodded these fish but they were out pretty far on the reef and so I am glad I had the spinning rod instead. Tomorrow I am going to be in the boat with flyrod at the ready and hopefully will connect with one of those slob fish I saw tonight. Also got into the big blues again off of Anchor Beach, 12-15 lb. alligators just tearing the bunker up. Sorry you guy's had a poor outing down at the river but keep your chins up we still have a couple of weeks left I think and I will try and keep you posted on those areas around here so that you can plan accordingly.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

Smcdermott
11-03-2002, 10:46 PM
Mike, that is great and both tough to hear. I wimped out this afternoon and skipped going to Harkness. Something tells me that may have been a mistake. Please keep us posted.

Dble, Quentin and Adrian,
Great spending some time with you today regardless of fish. From the sounds of it we may have to hook up one more time before the seasons out.

Sean

Quentin
11-03-2002, 10:55 PM
Striper -- glad to hear the big fish are still around even though we didn't find them. Sounds like we would have been SOL anyway with our fly rods if you needed spinning gear to reach them.

Pond Point? Anchor Beach? Are those code names? I don't see those places on my CT Coastal Access Guide (although there is a "Point Beach" listed) :confused: Care to enlighten me?

Q

Adrian
11-04-2002, 09:39 AM
Great to meet up with some of the CT contingent back at the Audubon, even though it was quiet. It sure felt fishy as we followed the tide out onto the bars. Reports told of sporadic action with big fish during the previous week.

Mike, great report from further East - I was wondering what might be happening beyond Charles Island.

Those fish will be coming down our way soon enough ;)

Dble Haul
11-04-2002, 10:33 AM
Mike, glad to hear that you got into some big fish. Don't worry, you didn't ruin my day with your report. I got plenty of pleasure out of the action in Old Saybrook, even if the fish were smaller.

I forgot to mention one thing......everyone should see Quentin and his amazing tricks with shad. He has them trained to jump three feet out of the water and nearly land in his stripping basket. :hehe:

steelheadmike
11-04-2002, 10:46 AM
Mike,

Those Storm Wild Eye jigs have been a gift from GOD himself! I will swear upon those until the day I am cold and stiff and 6 feet under. I have never had more succes with anything else I have ever tried except perhaps the Glass Shad which produces very well themselves, the only draw back on the Glass Shad is if you're lucky you can get two good fish before they are shredded.

Wes
11-04-2002, 11:53 AM
Mike,
Nice to see you if only briefly, I was getting a bit worn out at that point. Thanks for keeping us posted. And no, I had no idea who you were at first, different boat threw me off.

Adrian,
Thought we might cross paths at the Housy but Joe and I ditched around 9, place was lifeless. As Mike said, gators all day from the yaks Milford/WH. We found a few schoolies, no good stripes. Was a little edgy when we first got on them, 2-3 ft wind blown chop, throw in a bit of heavy lifting. Didn't have the nerve to take the fly rod out, hands were full enough. Not a lot of finesse but a great way to check yr knots.

Jim

Striper
11-05-2002, 06:59 PM
Quentin,
Pond Point is Point Beach they are one and the same. I have the CT. coastal guide and I will look at it and give you some landmarks to go by to find some of these fish that have been around. Took 6-8 nice schoolies from shore today down around Morningside, I have a bit of a cold so didn't take the boat out today but did decide to go and drive the beaches later in the day. The fish were up and down between Anchor Beach and Pond Point and once in a while came in close enough to make some casts worth while. I hope this storm doesn't push these fish and the bait out because if it does that might be it for this year, have to wait and see.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

Quentin
11-05-2002, 09:42 PM
Thanks Mike. I don't see any access points listed for Point Beach. Is parking a problem this time of year?

Q