Fly Swap---specific flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Swap---specific flies

striblue
11-03-2002, 11:08 AM
I was thinking of soliciting some opinions for a saltwater fly swap... but instead of the usual fly swap maybe we can start one or more during the winter with a specific type of fly...that is all squid flies, Crab patterns, Sand eels, or all deceiver type or Surf candies... that way we all get to see various ideas on the same theme. Everyone has slight variations and it might be a better education for all the participants instead of a hodgepoge of saltwater patterns...let me know and I will meister.

ashley
11-03-2002, 11:30 AM
Striblue,
I like the theme idea but however you do it count me in.I need the education and try the flies out next year.

shadfreak
11-03-2002, 07:31 PM
John
please count me in.
Larry

Doc Duprey
11-03-2002, 08:11 PM
John,

I like the idea. Count me in.

Best regards,

-Doc

Dble Haul
11-03-2002, 08:41 PM
I'm in for whatever your plan is. The theme idea sounds good.

:)

joe wojtan
11-03-2002, 10:22 PM
Striblue
I like your idea, I'll hunt you down if you leave me out.
Joe ;) ;) ;)

MCorder
11-04-2002, 09:04 AM
I'm new, how does a fly swap work??

Sprocket
11-04-2002, 09:31 AM
I'm in John, as for a suggested pattern - how about Deceivers, a fly-box standard with endless variations...

MCorder: welcome, the fly swap is basically this - 12 people (arbitrary number) each tie 12 copies of whatever pattern & mail them to the Meister. The Meister then mails back 12 flies (one of each type) to the participants - viola! instant "diverse portfolio" & a great way to get working patterns from literally all over the place. It's good stuff

striblue
11-04-2002, 10:19 AM
Todd is right about how the swap works... but I don't want this to be agony... so my thinking ,as Hawkeye had run the last time,... is that no matter how many guys sign on we limit the flies to 6.... I will divy them out... so if we get 20 guys.. you all don't need to tie 20 flies.... I think 12 is a good number of participants but we can do it larger or smaller... I will occasionally push this thread to the top of the posts to get continious exposure. I would photo all flies anyway with recipies we get from the tyers.... so even with 12 guys we limit the flies to six...you won't get ALL the flies but will see those you don't get on the archive with directions. how does that sound?

MCorder
11-04-2002, 10:48 AM
Sounds like fun, whe will the patern theme be anounced??

saltydog
11-04-2002, 06:40 PM
Im In.:smokin: just let me know what to tie.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"

Smcdermott
11-04-2002, 07:19 PM
John,
I would like to get in if beginners are welcome. I plan on spending some time at the vise this winter practicing so this would be a great opportunity to put some effort in.

Sean

striblue
11-05-2002, 01:03 AM
Sean..you are the tenth guy... I will keep the post alive for another week to see how many more we get... then , without complicating this , will pick a type of fly... I am thinking of a surf candy because it gives some epoxy work but allows the body to be a variety of material...bucktail ,or pop fly ultra hair, polar fiber, body mylar ,even hackle.... they could be silverside or small eel or anchovie, etc. You know the drill, if this one works we can then try a differnt pattern...maybe a shrimp...again this allows for a great variety.. The winter is long and maybe we can get three swaps in....but the key is to limit it to 6 flies from each participant for each swap.... next week I will finailze the roster and the due date giving every one time to do it... I , naturally , will get mine done in one night.;)

Slinger
11-05-2002, 01:19 AM
Count me as # 11. I would like to get in on as many swaps as possible this year. Surf Candies are dandy, I`m a poet an don`t know it. Got some purty candies that slayed the albies.
Slinger

jimS
11-05-2002, 05:34 PM
John, I'm in, if I'm the 12th guy?

Simms

joe wojtan
11-05-2002, 09:06 PM
John
Where I'm I on this list??
Joe

Quentin
11-05-2002, 09:51 PM
Great idea. I'd like to enter if you can add one more.

Q

striblue
11-06-2002, 01:07 AM
We have 13 right now with Quentin... everyone who posted is in... as I said I will keep it open ...say till Sunday... and will not take more than 20 just to make a cut off...lets do the surf candy as the first fly...just 6 from each.... a cut off date will be made later after we figure the final list,,,probaby Jan 1, 2003.... then 2 more swaps ..two months each, ending end of April...we will see how it goes... with 20 or less..if people bag out, with just 6 flies tied we could survive with 6 participants.... I am trying to make this workable.... November and December should be enough time for six surf candies.... tie the ones that work for you or new innovative ones...It's your call..but all 6 should be the SAME fly. After I get the final list I will e-mail my address... e-mail me back with yours... I will divy them out immediatly after I get them all... we should really shoot for the cut off date of Jan 1. Otherwise It would not work well if we have to wait for anyone.. If you miss this swap... then there will be another... I will be flexable obviously on dates if necessary. How does that sound... e-mail me if you don't agree or if youhave other ideas..but please...not 13 different ideas. You know what I mean...