Sea Habits for Baja (tube flies) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sea Habits for Baja (tube flies)

Philster
11-02-2002, 07:15 PM
This is my go to bug in Baja. Jay Murakoshi popularized the grey back sea habit as the "white knight" sea habit. I've always depended more on contrast than exact color, so when I heard about a grey back, topped with Peacock, I figured "No need to improve on that!" Note that these aren't "sea habit tubes", but sea habit bucktails tied on tubes. One bulky, one slim.

Oops the recipe:
Saltwater tube
several small applications of White bucktail topped with flashabou, then fishhair. shouldered with grey ghost krystal flash, topped with grey fishhair, grey bucktail, and peacock. cheeks of white bucktail, and silver krystal flash.

striblue
11-02-2002, 10:55 PM
Very nice... I was looking a Combs Sea habit tubes in ."Blue Water Flyfishing" and I think there great flies....I did use them for Blues this fall...even if Blues hit anything.... I will use them for stripers in the spring and hopefully next year for tuna.

saltydog
11-04-2002, 05:37 PM
:D looking good, they WILL work great.:smokin:
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"

Philster
11-05-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by saltydog
:D looking good, they WILL work great.:smokin:
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"

DID Salty, DID... 2.5 to 3 inch flies in this color scheme were taken freely on the dead drift. Nothing like spotting a bigger dorado circling a bit off that you want to cast to, tossing your fly in the water to strip more line off the reel, and mid-strip FISH-ON! Trey and Mark Waslick came up with a good fly, and Jay Murakoshi came up with a nice generic color scheme. Anyone who ties sea habits ought to throw together a few grey topped with peacock. Works anywhere.