Pony bead deceivers (large) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Pony bead deceivers (large)

Dble Haul
10-28-2002, 09:48 PM
As promised, here's a couple of deceivers using the beads with larger salt flies.

Hook: 1/0
Thread: 3/0, color to match pattern
Tail: Four paired saddle hackles
Flash: Flashabou
Wing: Bucktail
Head: Pony bead
Eyes: Prismatic

Tie in materials as per a usual deceiver, leaving room at the head for the bead. I use 3/0 thread for its bulk......the hole in the bead is wide, and the thicker thread provides a better base for it. Tie off the thread just prior to where the bead will go, and place it onto the hook shank. Jam it back, and then restart the thread ahead of the bead to build up bulk and hold it in place. Place eyes on either side of the bead. A quick dip in Softex seals the deal.

The black fly on top uses a heart shaped bead. The bottom fly uses a round bead. The holes in the beads are relatively large, and I've jammed them onto 2/0 hooks before.

The top fly is about 5.5", and the bottom fly is about 4".

striblue
10-28-2002, 10:11 PM
Mark.. those are great original flys...love the heads..now you have given me the idea to use the heads for a squid experiment...use those for eyes instead of the round epoxy I would do... I will try that on a corsair squid...like Murphy's...first I have to buy the eyes... thanks.

Dble Haul
10-29-2002, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the kudos John, but I can't take credit for using the pony beads. I saw the idea a while back in one of the FF magazines. I'm just sorta expanding on the ideas presented in the article.

I look forward to seeing your squid idea. :)