Sea Habit Bucktail- Mack [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sea Habit Bucktail- Mack

striblue
10-28-2002, 09:48 PM
I think the Trey Combs Sea Habits are a great fly and looks perfect in the water... None of his patterns include a Mack so I took his tying style and did my own mack ...I hope these instructions will help you tie this type of bucktail. First I use a 3/0 hook..this one is the Mustad Signature..... Chartruese Thread, waxed nylon...... tye in a clump of white bucktail for the tail and cover with green pearl flashabou..all around over the bucktail... then tye in a large clump of white bucktail under for throut. . when you tye in the tail you can tye it down all the way to the hook eye... then tye in a clump of green pearl flashabou 3/4 of the way down the tail ..one clump on each side and then on top. then cover this flash with a light clump of white bucktail over both sides and top over the flash...so that the flash can be seen though when wet. Then tye in a longer clump of white bucktail on top. then a small clump of same flash at the throut ...cover again with small clump of bucktail...the fly now takes the basic shape of the fly... Then tye in a small shorter clump of silver green or silver flashabou on each side over the sparse bucktail.... Then tye in chartruese crystal flash on each side of the top layer bucktail... then a small clump of pale green bucktail over that ...these again should be about 3/4 or 1/2 down the fly. then the same type of application as the chartruese crystal flash, but use green crystal flash....now cover that with small clump of darker pale green bucktail... add green grizzly hackle to both sides ..BUT high over the top applications you just put on... The grizzly should be the back of the fly on top... then finish the material application with a clump of peacock herl on top.... Take a portion of corsair or mylar tubing and fit over the hook eye and tye down.... then put gold prismic eye and apply coating of 5 minute epoxy... and voila.... Now ..if you want do another but add white saddle hackle along both sides of the tail at the beginning ....two hackles on both sides and you have a Sea habit Deciever.

Dble Haul
10-28-2002, 09:58 PM
Beautifully proportioned John! Forget how the fish will react....I think that I want to bite it!

;)

striblue
10-28-2002, 10:34 PM
This might give you a better view of the flash and colors:

striblue
10-28-2002, 10:38 PM
This is it when wet: