Mirror Lake - Devens, MA [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Mirror Lake - Devens, MA

juro
10-28-2002, 10:22 AM
I spent an hour or two casting the 15 footers at the shore of Mirror Lake in Devens yesterday between runs to the hardware store. The place was exploding with leaping and rising trout. I swear I could almost get one to grab the yarn puff I had on the end of the leader! Saw two groups of people fishing, all had lots of action.

There is a boat launch and the shape and high banks around the lake shelter it from the wind very well. With the fall colors reflecting in the afternoon you can see why they call it Mirror Lake.

These are all stockers in a put-and-take fishery, but with a float tube or canoe you could be in for some ridiculous action with the trout all over the gnat hatches in the afternoon.

John Desjardins
10-28-2002, 10:37 AM
Juro, I thought they didn't stock it anymore? I'd heard rumors about poor holdovers in past years.

FWIW the pond has a healthy population of largemouth & bluegills. Particularly, away from the beach & boat launch area.

juro
10-28-2002, 10:50 AM
Like I said I was there to Spey cast so I have no idea what the stocking plans are. The guys coming back to the launch had a lot of action, predominately browns and they said the action got hot toward evening. Fish were clearing the water all over the place while I was there.

John Desjardins
10-29-2002, 09:54 AM
I looked up the stocking list last night and Mirror Lake is still on there. It must be some other pond that I remember. That pond is pretty with the fall colors.