Pike Viper [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Pike Viper

Dble Haul
10-27-2002, 07:26 PM
This fly has the same qualities of the Smallie Viper, but in a much larger size and better color pattern for pike.

Hook: Size 3/0
Thread: 3/0, white
Eyes: Dumbell prismatic (Real Eyes)
Tail: White magnum zonker strip
Collar: Red marabou
Head: White deer hair, spun, packed, and trimmed to shape

The dumbell eyes ensure that the fly rides hook point up, but the deer hair head makes it sink a bit more slowly.

striblue
10-28-2002, 11:19 AM
Mark... interesting concept... I have not tried spinning hair over a clouser eye... Never even tought about it for saltwater...but I guess I want it to go down fast. If you don't trim the dear hair close have you experienced it staying a float...??

Dble Haul
10-28-2002, 12:10 PM
I've never tried to see the floatability of the fly prior to trimming the hair. My guess is that the fly would eventually waterlog and sink. Prior to trimming, the eyes aren't even visible behind the deer hair......an untrimmed fly looks like an albino muskrat that's being electroshocked. :eyecrazy:

This fly doesn't get down in a hurry, and that's why I don't use it in the salt. But for pike in shallow water, it falls at a fairly natural and seemingly helpless rate between strips.

FrenchCreek
10-28-2002, 01:55 PM
This looks like a real killer fly for shallow spring pike. I'll tie up a few and keep you posted next spring as to its performance.
I think I will tie some with the deer hair real loose to allow a deeper sink in 6 to 8 foot depths and some packed tighter for shallower water 2 to 5 feet.

juro
10-28-2002, 02:43 PM
Borski has a famous fly with this design, the famous bonefish slider. Very effective on stripers! If you want it to get down and stay down, try rams wool which comes dyed in many colors and can be colored with pantone markers. It can be spun and trimmed and does not float in fact it's heavier than I like.