Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flyline Failure

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Slinger 
#1 ·
I told in one of my post about a Cortland Camo that failed on a large bass, leader, knots, and backing held, the line failed at 58 feet, could find no nicks or cracks. I sent it back to Cortland they replaced the line with no problem, except I asked that they let me know what they think caused it to fail. I have not yet recieved an answer. I have had several Scientific Angler Lines fail they also replaced them, one was replaced three times. This fall or winter I am going to buy a couple of Rio's at one of the distributers here in RI, or at the show in Marlboro. I am also thinking of trying some braided line, and using different weight short sections to add weight for casting. I realize that a line without the slick coating is not going to cast as far, but it might last longer.I have used the same 30 lb braided backing for years and it still looks like new. :D Of course it doesn't go through the guides very often.:eyecrazy: I am not knocking any one manufacturer, just all the ones I have used.:hehe:

#2 ·
Very, very cool question!!

To date (God willing and the creek don't rise) I've never had a fly line 'fail' on me yet ... yet. Outer covering ya, but due to age, and in one occation (a recent SA DT for the B and W) the line covering.

Looking forward to hearing what (so far) I've "missed."
fae

#4 ·
I am on my third Cortland 325 QD - from the same original purchase! One lasted about 5 weeks before the junction of running line to head failed. The other not much longer. The third has already cracked at the same spot, but I haven't sent it in yet. I am thinking of asking them just to send me a 444 clear intermediate instead. Now that line is still kicking bass butt after years of hard service, I bought that when the first shipment hit the shelves a long time ago. It's got some cracking now and it's gotten cloudy from wear and tear but it still casts very well and I replaced it more out of shame for it's condition than anything else.

I think the problem with the QD is a design problem. Other lines with totally different configurations and materials would not exhibit the same problems from the same company.

As far as the Rio deep-sea as an alternative to the QD - EXCELLENT. The Deep sea I had is the gray running line prototype - we're talking O-L-D but it's still perfectly usable and it has been through hell. I recently replaced it with a new one, same line, but now they have a blue running line. I prefer the neutral gray, but the blue is easier to see and it works just fine, the fish didn't mind last time I was fishing the rips. :)

I've found the Rio Deep sea to be a little heavier than the QD and better for loading stiffer SWFF rods. If you cast with less line out the tiptop and shoot it takes less effort. This line can bite into a nor'easter too.

As far as the camo intermediates, I have no experience with them but heard good things. I am currently using a clear intermediate and a clear tip quickshooter Rio line on the flats. Everything else gets the deep sea, big rips and currents, sloppy surf, deep channels, etc.

The line I have lusted for is still not in production. I will chat with you about it next time we meet!

#5 ·
...warning

Art - whatever you do, don't replace it with an Orvis Wonderline. Hate to badmouth anyone but I have gone through 5 of them in 3 years for FRESHWATER and I know how to take care of a flyline. Cracked right down to the dacron. Don't understand how they can charge what they do for the stuff....:mad:

Have had good luck w/my cortland 444 clear intermediate although it definitely takes some stretching. Next time I will buy the airflo.

My .02

Dave

#6 ·
Re: ...warning

BigDave said:
Art - whatever you do, don't replace it with an Orvis Wonderline. Hate to badmouth anyone but I have gone through 5 of them in 3 years for FRESHWATER and I know how to take care of a flyline. Cracked right down to the dacron. Don't understand how they can charge what they do for the stuff....:mad:

Have had good luck w/my cortland 444 clear intermediate although it definitely takes some stretching. Next time I will buy the airflo.

My .02

Dave
Apparently, your $.02 is worth more than you think.

Recently, a friend experienced a very discomfiting situation with Orvis Boston and Wonderline. Without going into complete gory detail, he was (by the Boston store manager) told he caused the damage to the line - apparently by cleaning it with the cleaning pad provided by Orvis.

When (leaving gory detail out here) confronted, the Boston Store manager admitted the Wonderline series, manufactured by SA, is shipped to Orvis (Manchester, VT) where a proprietary coating is then applied. By admission under pressure, the Boston Store manager stated the RECOMMENDED METHOD for cleaning the line is to use mild soap and water ONLY, not to use the cleaning pad, as supplied, for Wonderlines. He further stated that this information is, or should be, provided at the time of sale, which was then and continues to be the subject of heated discussion, based on this incident. Obviously, there is an incompatibility issue between the finished line and the proprietary coating's impact on it.

The manager did, finally, accede to the customer's request to replace the lines, but in no way at all did it resemble an act of 'customer service' :tsk_tsk:

I love my Airflo clear lines; I very much like my Cortland 444's.

#7 ·
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I still fish a '97 QD 325, and it's in fine shape. The dark-light line connection does seem a bit hokey, though. I tend to false cast at a point some 20' into the running line and wonder if that's whey i'm getting some good longevity. It always seeed to me that the section of line at the rod tip is subject to most stress. Combine that with a manufacturing transition point, and it could be source of trouble.

On the other hand, I'm also still using a 1975 Cortland 333 floater. The tip's gotten a bit heavy, but it works fine.

#8 ·
Re: ...warning

BigDave said:
Art - whatever you do, don't replace it with an Orvis Wonderline.
Interesting... I have bought several of the demo Wonderlines on eBay (extremely cheap!) and I absolutely love them! Some have seen hard use under harsh conditions, and no problems!

Not saying you're wrong. Just looks like we've had different results.

#9 ·
line usage fresh or salt?

There appears to be lots of differences between reports on what lines to use. I don't think we have approached whether the lines are used in fresh or saltwater. I do think it makes a lot of difference. I think that in the saltwater if you hit a rock, and get a scratch on it the salt water gets right into the core of the line and then the line starts doing all those nasty thinngs like cracking and peeling. I should probably get rid of a couple of new lines that are replacements from the different manufacturers. They don't seem to question the line failure, nor do they reply to the question." any idea why the line failed"? Cortland answered me about 10 years ago and said it was the musalage I used to clean the line. The problem was I never ever cleaned the line.:hehe: I think it was the pollution from the bay, the line did stink. :(

#10 ·
Cortland lines

I have cortland lines on all of my reels except my 8wt which is a Rio Versitip. Back to the Cortland lines I have a 444 and 333 and a 333 sink tip lines on three of my reels and I have no complaints on those but my 555 is another story. I'm on my second one as the first one had chuncks of the outer coating come off,which they replaced the line. But what I like and dislike about the 555 is it casts farther than any other line does,but you have to strecth(sp) it before each use and I haven't even tried to fish it when it's cold out. I know that it says to stretch(sp) it before each use but lately it's been a hassle.

#11 ·
Art now I know why the line companies charge so much for their lines. Sooner or later they all fail. $56 for a plactic coated braided line is a bit much. I have sent my Airflo 400 line back because it developed a crack where the running line met the head. Good customer service. Have used Cortland 425 qd lines and they developed cracks in the coating. I guess the bottom line is keep sending them back that's why we have to pay $56 for the lines.
FishHawk :smokin:

#13 ·
Just an FYI, Simon Gawesworth is going to be manning the Rio booth at Marlboro. If you can wait until then it might be a good opportunity to pick his brain on fly lines.

Simon doesn't make many appearances on the Right Coast, so I would recommend that everyone take this chance to meet him.

#14 ·
.02 cents worth here. RIO lines.

Have used several manufactures lines over the years, most have worked reasonably well ... but required constant "cleaning" to keep the exterior line coating working.

THE exception to this has been the RIO lines. Don't know what they make them with, but it sure works. Clean them occationally, but only when I rembember. Faultless in this area from my personal experience.
fae

#15 ·
Cortland blew it with thier new 555. It`s a great line if you don`t mind sending it back every other month. I got one in March and by the end of May the finish was shot, had to wait to mid July before it was replaced. My cousin bought one in August and it didn`t make it thru Sept., 60 bucks, what a waste!
Slinger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.