Weekend Reports [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Weekend Reports

FredA
10-20-2002, 05:52 PM
Wasn't gonna post because I got no news but its kinda quite here. Fished a bayside beach for an hour or so Saturday am. Nothing going on. Did chores then contemplated puttin on the waders and taking a walk down the river in the afternoon. Wind was a bit brisk so I took the dog and wife for a walk instead.

Chatham this morning. Bottom of the tide and it looked fishy, but nothing except birds working in the distance. Walk down South Beach a bit. Hung around that point with the narrow channel in front of the sand pile. Had to leave as the water was just starting to look interesting. Again, a lot of active birds offshore but nothing going on in close.

So how'd everybody else do? Any hole in ones or kicked over paint cans?

JimW
10-20-2002, 07:17 PM
Nada, Zippo, Zilch. Friday morning I check out my usual spots in Plymouth down to the canal, Nothin'. Sunday I poked around B-Bay and up to Falmouth, Nada. It's been very cold prior to sunrise and I have not put the yak in so I've been relegated to shore fishing and not having much success. My current mind set is one of denial so I'll keep at it but a little voice is telling me it's time for trout. Either that or another trip to Rhody for speedsters :devil: Good to get out though and at least it's not snowing....

Dble Haul
10-20-2002, 07:18 PM
I painted my living room, but didn't manage to kick over any paint cans. :p

Niantic this week!

Smcdermott
10-20-2002, 07:53 PM
Fished Weekapaug Sat and Sun. Lots of cocktail 2lb blues around. Saw more birds working in that area than I have seen in a while. Saw what I think was a few schools of Fat Alberts in the mix but they never made a showing close enough to confirm. Gave up pretty early Saturday with steady winds the culprit. Sunday made the move to check out Harkness Park in Waterford, CT. One schoolie for the effort. Tough weekend. I am hoping the speedsters make one last showing but it is not looking good for the shore bound. Time to renew my acquaintance with the striped ones.

Sean

On a side note: With the wind I have been seriously thinking of adding a light tackle spin outfit to my arsenal. Forgive me for asking, but how many of you go astray when the wind blows 30knts?

Penguin
10-20-2002, 08:44 PM
Friday night...late...Da Roop and I...Sandwich beach...NADA!
Saturday LAZY afternoon...
Went for a ride on the donor-cycle...
Stopped in at the Boston Animal Rescue in Brewster to relate to some critters-behind-bars...
Stopped at Paine's Creek for a look...birds all settled facing into the wind...
Stopped by Cold Storage...Birds over a pod of BIG fish breaking about 1/2 mile off shore...High anxiety!
Too far away to be sure but I would have guessed BFT's the way they were skyrocketing...
Maybe BIG blues on steroidz?!...
They never came in close and eventually moved farther out...
Too windy anyway but woulda'coulda'shoulda'!

ps
Fred, I called you from the beach but you were out and about.
(almost a no-notice-hospitality check)

FredA
10-21-2002, 04:00 AM
Pete
No hospitality check needed. Drop in anytime. But if you come by and you see the bedroom shades drawn, we're taking a nap. Toot twice and drive around the block once.

juro
10-21-2002, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Smcdermott
On a side note: With the wind I have been seriously thinking of adding a light tackle spin outfit to my arsenal. Forgive me for asking, but how many of you go astray when the wind blows 30knts?

Luke - close your eyes... don't let it take you.... FIGHT IT LUKE! FIGHT IT! :devil:

IMHO - the only barrier to developing the necessary techniques to catch fish on a fly in inclement weather is to stop using it. Of course some days the equipment reaches the limit of it's capabilities and if you had the gear on hand you might catch more fish without moving around to deal with the weather. But on other days the moving around is part of the fun and the discovery of a sheltered inlet full of fish or a new deep swing technique with a short cast in fast current that produces a fall pig bass is just as rewarding to me as defeating conditions where I started with spin gear.

For the record, I am joking and don't take anything I say on the topic to heart. I am far from sensible when it comes to flyfishing, and the sensible thing to do is tie on a deadly dick or a kastmaster and get into the fun. I think most folks will/do, but I won't.

jfbasser
10-21-2002, 07:30 AM
Friday still held some decent action at Sandwich in the creek. Nothing big but hooked four. A few guys were doing ok in the bowl....by Sat morn it was dead dead dead!

striblue
10-21-2002, 07:59 AM
Watched Football on Saturday..tied Flies....Played 18 holes on Sunday, ...tied flies....

BigDave
10-21-2002, 08:22 AM
Sounds like things are slowing down a bit in the SW scene :(

Hit the Deerfield again this weekend to introduce Fishgal to our wonderful sport...will post report on the FW page.

Sean - I have been known to break out the spinning tackle (aka "cheat") but only in DIRE circumstances :chuckle: I'm talking about when you try to punch that depth-charge into the wind and it comes flying right back at you. Only had to break out the ugly stik once this year but it totally saved my trip. Worth throwing in the truck if you know it's going to be questionable conditions.

Dave :devil:

jared
10-21-2002, 08:57 AM
Saturday: apple picking in NH & then lantern making & dinner...

Sunday: Splashed the boat and headed to Napatree...the place was on fire. Classic Fall Albie fishing. Windy, wavy and feisty hungry fish all over the place! Water temps are still warm...61 degs! Fished there, then Sugar Reefs, then back to Napatree, then up to Watch Hill Beach. Lots of small blues there, and of course, once we rigged w/ wire, a pod of albies comes up less than 20' from the boat, with nuthin' but birds on them...by the time we get the lines in and the albie rigged rods up and going, they're gone. SUNDAY would have been the day for pictures....just classic birds over busting bait, albies knifing through...just awesome!

The question is whether or not I can manage to hit it again next weekend...the pile of stuff to do at home is growing. Got back in time for the JP lantern walk...an excellent weekend to be sure!

--j

http://home2.nikonnet.com/sessions/064681100614/3870620lg.jpg

juro
10-21-2002, 09:04 AM
Super-important family obs this weekend, no fishing but I did get a lot of casting in with the 15 footer and 13.5 footer just back from Sage. I can not say enough about the customer service Sage provides, I will always be a faithful customer cause I really owe them for the service I've received over the years. Maybe I'm getting old or just wierd but some quality time Spey casting on a river with the fall foliage is almost as good as hooking up. It sure is better than nothing at all, and I got to keep my promises at the homestead too.

Next week the backside beaches are calling me...

jared
10-22-2002, 01:47 PM
Juro,

check your email...
(but ignore the part about the image...just uploaded it and got it to work that way...)

--j

Lefty
10-22-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by juro
Maybe I'm getting old or just wierd but

Both.
You should have casted at the pond above the dam at west G. Brookies and browns I bet.

LEfty

juro
10-22-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by jared
Juro,

check your email...
(but ignore the part about the image...just uploaded it and got it to work that way...)

--j

WORTH THE WAIT!!! That's an awesome pic Jared. Very kewl.