Deschutes steelhead MIA [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Deschutes steelhead MIA

SpeyFly
10-19-2002, 08:16 PM
Just got back from 10 days on the Deschutes (below Shears) and the steelheading was off. October has been prime time for the 20+ years I have been fishing the "D" but they seem to be missing in action right now. Clients have had to work really hard to produce a few grabs.

After taking a look at the YTD counts over the John Day dam and compared to the Dalles dam counts, it's looking pretty scarry. 12,358 hatchery and 8,494 wild fish = 20,852. Last word that I recieved about last years combined run for the Deschutes was over 80,000. Anyone have any more info regarding the missing fish?

On a side note, I have heard that the Klickitat is fishing pretty poorly right now. Hmmmmmmmmmm........

Cheers,
Dennis

Cphatts
10-20-2002, 12:47 AM
I hear ya Spey....just came back from the Klickitat...I fished from 7:00 - 1:00 and didnt get one grab. I also have been having a helluva time hooking fishin the "D"....its starting to get pretty depressing!! You are right, this should be prime time....but I'm starting to lose my motivatation.

Whiskey Dick
10-20-2002, 12:57 AM
Hi Dennis, we have been picking fish up above Maupin but you have to work for them. I agree with you as i have been watching the counts on the Dams and the fish seem to be moving straight through.:confused:

Cphatts
10-20-2002, 01:23 PM
Do you guys think this has anything to do with the Deschutes running very warm in late Aug/early Sept? Perhaps because of the warm temps, alot of upriver Columbia fish just skipped the D and kept going. In normal years, many of these fish would stay in the D instead of running up the Columbia. Just a guess.....

I really hope its just an effect from our warm summer and not an indicator of something more major. Either way, it's really got me bummed

:mad:

beau purvis
10-20-2002, 11:02 PM
i noticed the lack of fish between the Dalles and John Day also. does look like they passed the deschutes.however, fishing for me was only off somewhat; averaged 3.6moved per day vs4.8 the last couple of yrs.shld not let stories and stats stop you.you still have to go to find the true answer.
beau

SpeyFly
10-22-2002, 01:35 PM
Hi Wiskey. I too have been having the best results above Maupin. Thank gawd for the HORSE or everyone would be there. Time to gear up to start chasin fall chinook.:smokin: Not looking forward to casting 10 and 12 wt's all day long.

Cheers,
Dennis

Whiskey Dick
10-22-2002, 11:32 PM
SpeyFly, how true, the HORSE keeps a lot of people off that section. Good luck with the Chinook, tight lines, brian:devil: