Fly Fishing in the Mountains [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Fishing in the Mountains

Caddisfly
10-19-2002, 01:35 PM
:rolleyes: hey you guyes have you ever fished in the mountains? I love it its really great... please reply...

John Desjardins
10-20-2002, 08:18 PM
Tough question because my favorite to fish is a dry, while the most successfull is a wet or streamer.

Dble Haul
10-20-2002, 08:28 PM
I used to LOVE the dry fly, but I found that I caught more and bigger fish by nymphing deeper pockets and holes. Therefore, the nymph has become number one for me over the past decade or so.

dewey
10-20-2002, 08:38 PM
Nymphs. I also used to think that the dry was more fun, but now I find nymphing is just as fun, and usually more effective. I like the constant mending and fine-tuning of the drift that nymphs require. The high-mountain pocket water is a great challenge with weighted nymphs.

old man
10-20-2002, 11:36 PM
Just what do you call mountains over on the East coast. I was under the impression that those hills were the foot hills of the Rockies. :D

aknightinak
10-22-2002, 12:48 AM
Stuff gets fairly devoid of catchable anything much above 2000 feet right around here. One lake I can think of nearby would except that, and it's been helistocked.

Some spots I really like are just south of the Alaska Range where 3000 ft is still productive, but it's more of a high plain of subarctic tundra than in the mountains. Dries are best up there; y' gotta go outta your way up here to throw dries sometimes, away from all the leadchuckin freezer fishermen and actually target grayling in order to do it, since the bows are all hanging around gutting tables eating steaks. One trip I take each fall with varying degrees of storming off into the thicket is pretty well off highway and the only place I've had fall rainbows not prefer flesh. The quick version this year due to time and seasonal constraints bagged me 18 grayling only one less than as many inches - all in 40 yards of pool, all dry. Sadly, due to time constraints, the best trout are way up the bear trails...but any day like that on dries.

:eyecrazy: Y'know, now, when it boils right down to it, I really like throwing meat patterns, too. It's got as much of a "match-the-hatch" degree of oneness with the riparian cycle, and I shored a hogdaddy Dolly yesterday on a flesh pattern just like that yesterday.

James Jon
10-22-2002, 12:21 PM
Caddis.

I live in Boston now, but I lived in Alpharetta for 7 years.

The best two weeks of fly fishing is that Caddis hatch on the hooch in the spring.

I usually go down for it in the end of April early May, but I missed it last year. First one I missed in about 8 years.

I love that river!

It's the only place where I have caught two fish at the same time using a dropper.

Caddisfly
10-22-2002, 04:58 PM
hey... yeah... Alphereta... love the hooch too... yeah the caddis hatch is great... heading up there Saturday for the weekend w/ my dad!

my e-mail is caddisfly08@yahoo.com

www.joshbarnett.dot.nu

pmflyfisher
10-22-2002, 06:19 PM
Nymphs rule although I did dry fly fish for trout this year and it brought back great memories, got to do more of it.