Bunny Fly [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bunny Fly

joe wojtan
10-18-2002, 03:39 PM
Here is one I tied this afternoon. its a Cone Head Bunny Fly, perched on my Fly Roost.
http://www.pixhost.com/pixj/jwojtan/fly-roost.jpg
Joe

juro
10-18-2002, 03:44 PM
Joe - Nice work, and timely too! That's a good tunoid taker.

I wonder if you, Striblue, and all the other great tyers could include the recipe in these posts?

thanks!

Doc Duprey
10-18-2002, 04:41 PM
Joe,

Let me second that request. The recipe would be a great help, as we could then look at your picture of the fly and see how it's "supposed" to look.

Also, what is a Fly Roost? I like the looks of it. Did you make it or buy it?

Best regards,

-Doc

jared
10-18-2002, 05:11 PM
fly roost recipe:
1 alligator clamp
1 allen wrench
some sticky substance
something stable to affix aforementioned assembly on....

(sorry, but that's the best I can discern from the picture)

:D

-j

pmflyfisher
10-18-2002, 07:38 PM
Joe,

We fish a pattern exactly like that here in the mid west for steelhead and trout, but much smaller sizes. It is a great smelt and other bait fish imitator. A guide turned me on to it. The big river browns come out of the log jams slashing at it.

Its has gained a regular postion now in my fly wallett.

Hal

saltydog
10-18-2002, 07:59 PM
JOE, was thinking the same a JURO, should work great on them, I also do one like that, BUT use molded eyes an epoxie head, I try to find it , hold on, got it.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

pmflyfisher
10-18-2002, 08:23 PM
Are those mylar silver strips in there ?

joe wojtan
10-18-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by jared
fly roost recipe:
1 alligator clamp
1 allen wrench
some sticky substance
something stable to affix aforementioned assembly on....

(sorry, but that's the best I can discern from the picture)

:D

-j

Jared
God you got my recipe down pretty pat, hope you don't compete in my possible sales.
Joe: :mad: :mad: :mad:

joe wojtan
10-18-2002, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Doc Duprey
Joe,

Let me second that request. The recipe would be a great help, as we could then look at your picture of the fly and see how it's "supposed" to look.

Also, what is a Fly Roost? I like the looks of it. Did you make it or buy it?

Best regards,

-Doc [/QUOTE

Doc
I wish I knew how to post instructing on how to tie some of my flies, I'm 78 and this would be a very grueling task,trust me i would love to but.
I make the Fly Roost and 5 other fly tying aides and I do sell them.
Hope that there is some interest, have to find a way to increase my limited budget, so that I can continue to purchase the very expensive fly tying materials, and continue with my very favorite hobby.
Joe ;) :)

joe wojtan
10-18-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by juro
Joe - Nice work, and timely too! That's a good tunoid taker.

I wonder if you, Striblue, and all the other great tyers could include the recipe in these posts?

thanks!

Juro
What is a "tunoid" I can't even find it in the dictionary?
Joe :confused: :confused:

Nick
10-18-2002, 09:56 PM
Joe...its something like a tuna, hence Tunoid. Around here (New England) that means False Albacore and Bonito since both are not from the tuna family, closer to Mackeral I believe. But they way thay take flies and the line that's attached, makes the very "tunalike".

Nick

PS--Keep up the work and the posting. Its great. I'll be throwing a few flies up this winter as well as some customization photos of my yak.

Doc Duprey
10-19-2002, 08:44 AM
Joe,

Fly tying aids?...Now you have my attention. Please send me a PM telling me what you are selling. I can use all the aid I can get!

Best regards,

-Doc

juro
10-19-2002, 09:02 AM
Sorry Joe, just saw your question right now. Thanks Nick for answering. Little tunny, or false albacore and bonito are members of the tuna family like all scombridae.

Funny story since you mention mackeral... the first bonito I ever caught was many years ago, maybe 15, on a slider at the mouth of the Herring River in Harwich, Cape Cod. After embarrasing myself telling everyone to give way cuz I had a huge fish on, this 6-7 pound bone comes to hand. Everyone thinks it's a fat mutant mackeral and I end up keeping it for the grill. YUM! I never knew what it really was for a long time.

Back then I never met anyone who knew anything about pursuing these fish, even today a lot of striper blues anglers can't identify one species from the other. Now they are all the rage and really are a cool pursuit in the fly.

It's easy to tell them apart... by the taste! :devil:

MCorder
10-19-2002, 10:34 AM
Great looking fly...Put some big barbell eye's on the front of that and you've got a great Silver Salmon Fly.:)

saltydog
10-19-2002, 03:22 PM
PMFLYFISHER, there strips of FLASHABOU. BUT, when I do more Im going to put some( POLA ICE) angel hair, in place of the flashabou, it will give it more movement in the water. that white fly was used for stripers an the deerhair gave it an bigger body in the salt.
"GOODLUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

pmflyfisher
10-19-2002, 07:10 PM
Thanks, I have got some angel hair which Striblue turned me onto earlier this year. Use for great lakes steelhead and salmon streamers.

tomd
10-21-2002, 01:56 AM
is that a jiggy head Joe? Tom D

tomd
10-21-2002, 02:00 AM
did you guys want a recipe for the fly or the roost? if you wanted the fly: http://www.reel-time.com/pattern/Rogers/bunny/bunny.asp Tom D

joe wojtan
10-21-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by tomd
is that a jiggy head Joe? Tom D

Tom
It's not a Jiggy Head it's a Tungsten Conehead, they come n 3 sizes and 3 differant colors, Nickel, Gold, Black.
In most cases you have to snip the barb off the hook.
Joe