Ok - where we goin' this weekend? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ok - where we goin' this weekend?

fliboy
10-17-2002, 05:26 AM
All right - let's see - it really looks like the Fat Lady is gettin' ready to sing soon. Anyone up for a mini-clave somewhere south of southern NH - I got a feeling the Fat Lady had sung up there in Hampton.

It looks like I might be able to get a pass for the whole weekend. The weather doesn't look ideal, but I'm thinking up in one of them thar salt ponds.

What's everyone else thinking?

TL,

Dave

juro
10-17-2002, 05:37 AM
South side (Nantucket Sound) should be good during
moving tides just about anywhere if the migration is going and the bunker is around. Hit or miss but the hits can be big this time of year.

Bayside has a lot of fish, boat would be best to chase them under the birds.

Nauset should be getting some big fish coming thru now, and Chatham Inlet if you have oversand access.

Low tide at dawn would always get me to big girl even though she's been playing hard to get lately.

I always enjoy a walk down the inside of South Beach on this tide, if the bait gets pushed into the tub there will be some very good fall fish eating it.

Race Pt in October - great bet.

Hardtails still around in South County, have to be.

CT sounds pretty good lately.

Just a matter of getting out and pounding the beach!

Smcdermott
10-17-2002, 07:34 AM
Dave,
I also have a weekend pass and am planning on chasing some hardtails in South County during the day and hopefully finding some bass at night. Let me know if you are coming down.

Sean

doogue
10-17-2002, 11:04 AM
Sean,

Got your PM and I am trying to shift plans in order to get out on Saturday morning.

I am a maybe at this point.

I will give you a call.

One problem is this guy at work who has been consistently catching trout (some big ones too) in a nearby NH stream. Lots of bang for my traveling buck.

We shall see...

-Mike

jared
10-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Nauset got canceled, so Rhody on Sunday it is!!

--j

mikez
10-17-2002, 12:19 PM
Sunday in Rhode Island for me.
No doubt there are speedsters in residence, big question is water clarity. This past Monday the water was still very cloudy. Albies were outside Weekapoug but wouldn't come in despite tons of bait. Last night's blow may have dirtied things up even worse.

The good news is I've already made the mental adjustment which restores the striped bass to its rightful place at the top of the New England inshore hierarchy.
Fast fish are like fast women. They can blind you with infatuation, cause you to lose sight of your priorities, and lead to irrational behavior. When all is said and done however, they're gone before you know it and you've got nothing to show for your efforts but some spicey memories.
It's good to know that there is a reliable, consistent, albeit unglamorous alternative to fall back on. You always know where there gonna be, what they're gonna be doing, how they're gonna respond. They won't get you all Jacked Up, then leave you high and dry, unfufilled, frustrated.

OK, yes, well...what were we talking about?
OH YA! Stripers!
Take my advice gentlemen, get 'em while they're hot! Now's the best time of year for that once in a life time fish. Even if you don't get that, there're sure to be some memorable tides and cold, crisp beautiful nights. And the fish will cooperate!
Let me leave you with this image:
Ok, so we've all seen the huge clouds of peanut bunker just about everywhere this season. They're starting to drain out of the ponds and rivers and bays to begin their journey south. Just imagine some of those big bait balls pushed up into the rocks by a South Wind and dropping tide on a dark night with just the right amount of clean white water. OH BABY! There ain't anything else you need to keep you warm this winter but the memory of a night like that!

jared
10-17-2002, 02:52 PM
mike --

I hear ya man! Have had some epic post-midnight/pre-dawn forays down there...but one can also have awesome blitzes all day-long too!!

Ya gotta love Fall fishing in RI....looking forward to Sunday!

-j

artb
10-17-2002, 08:25 PM
:) Going out tomorrow. Lately it has been extremely rough:( The tides yesterday were so high that Watch Hill Beach was under water. The marina where my son keeps his boat the water was up the driveway, and the docks were underwater, my son had his door in the transom battered with the southwest breeze, 50 mph. :eyecrazy: Tomorrow looks to be a good day, a break in the weather, maybe wind and rain Saturday. Will let you know how if the water is clearing, or not. All I know if you plan on certain weather it always changes. Tomorrow the wind is to increase to 15 to 20 knots with it in the northwest. Seas should be light close to shore.:hehe:

Slinger
10-18-2002, 01:40 AM
The wind is supposed to be N/W so it shouldn`t dirty the water any more and with 2 days to clean up it may be good enough. I just don`t seem to have the drive to hunt deer anymore, at least not like I used to, I can wait till next week in NY and then the muzzeloader opens in RI. Mike you must be phsycic, your comparison to fast women is right on the money. These hardtails are more addictive than drugs. I need one more. Morning rise at Weekapaug or West Wall, hard call, but I`ll be around for sure.
Slinger

FredA
10-18-2002, 04:25 AM
Sure would be nice to get to RI but don't think its going to happen. My best chance to wet a line will be to sneak away from yard and house chores for a couple of hours. May try for some extended fishin time Sunday. Anyone going to be fishing on the Cape?

FishHawk
10-18-2002, 05:38 AM
From what I have seen on the net Beverly looks promising. The Bayside looks good also. We'll see what develops. That's fall fishing , you got to keep mobile. Fishhawk

DFix
10-18-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by FishHawk
From what I have seen on the net Beverly looks promising. The Bayside looks good also. We'll see what develops. That's fall fishing , you got to keep mobile. Fishhawk

Hope you Weekapaug and South County guys do well. Anybody fishing the North Shore, with reports of bait being held against the Beverly/Manchester/Magnolia shoreline of late, when you're steaming across to fish behind Tinkers and on to Devereux Beach, wave a hearty 'HI' to me - I'll have a paintbrush in one hand and a paperhanger's brush in the other :rolleyes:

Hope you all do well.

Dble Haul
10-18-2002, 08:33 AM
Dave, I'm glad to see that I won't be the only one stuck with a paintbrush this weekend.

What's that saying? Oh yeah, misery loves company. :p

Quentin
10-18-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by fliboy
Anyone up for a mini-clave somewhere south of southern NH - I got a feeling the Fat Lady had sung up there in Hampton.

Dave,

Yesterday I spoke to a guy from NH who says there are still fish up there. He said that the hot fly is blue bucktail over white bucktail with no body (i.e., wing only). I didn't get any other details since I wasn't planning to fish NH anytime soon.

As for this weekend, I would still like a chance to get a hardtail on the fly rod. They have eluded me so far this season, except for a couple of "almosts". I may have to give Rhody another try on Sunday.

Q

DFix
10-18-2002, 08:59 AM
WAAAAAAAAHHHH, WAHA WAHA WAHA WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH !!!! (There - in lieu of a crying face like Fred Evans wants, that's my closest impression :whoa: :eek: :rolleyes: )

Mark - I'm donating free contract labor; this isn't even my own digs :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :eek:

The funny thing is, just this morning before leaving for work, I heard "...I'm looking forward to a weekend when we don't have something to do"

I don't think that happens until after the New Year :(

Lefty
10-18-2002, 11:24 AM
Ok ladies:

Q: Fly don't matter much. Find the birds and start casting ASAP!

DFIX: I got 2 baths a kitchen/dining room and a bedroom to paint 3 times over (new plaster). I'm holding off till I'm sure they (stripees) are gone. I'm also looking forward to Macs on my 7 wt.

Interesting observation: After the 6-10' surf over last weekend, some places came back pretty quick. Another week or 2 and that'll be it.

Me? I've been layed up with the cold from hell all week. I'm lucky to fish this weekend but....I envision the 300 yard dash down the Nahant causeway.

striblue
10-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Home in Winchester this weekend....High school football tomorrow and Golf and relax on Sunday.... Chatham next weekend.

Caster
10-18-2002, 01:59 PM
With the west wind tonight, I'll probably be back down in the Niantic/New London area looking for clean water after the recent blow. Tommorrow and Sunday I'll be starting at Watch Hill at first light and then standing post at one of the breachways afterwards. Hopefully the albies will show. SW wind is supposed to pick up tommorrow. Sunday should be the better day.

Quentin...pleasure meeting you earlier this week. Managed to pick up one micro in the channel after you left. Went over the Niantic afterwards and fished the east side below the railroad trestle. Nada. Plenty of shad up between the bridges, but I usually avoid them like the plague.

DFix
10-18-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by striblue
Home in Winchester this weekend....High school football tomorrow and Golf and relax on Sunday.... Chatham next weekend.

Golf? Chatham? Relax? - I don't recognize those words; what do they mean??? :eek:

Quentin
10-18-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Caster
. . . Sunday I'll be starting at Watch Hill at first light and then standing post at one of the breachways afterwards.

Quentin...pleasure meeting you earlier this week. Managed to pick up one micro in the channel after you left.

Pleasure to meet you too. Welcome to the Forum! I went back to CT yesterday and tried Ocean Beach in the morning during the ebb and in the evening during the flood. Loads of tiny bass chasing peanuts along the beach all morning, but they only wanted the real thing and wouldn't touch my flies. Managed to get a few in the channel in the evening. Nothing big, but I didn't stay for the late show. Maybe I'll see you in RI on Sunday.

Q

mikez
10-18-2002, 03:32 PM
Q & Caster, look for me on Sunday. I suspect we will be visiting most of the same spots. I'm the tall guy with the red Boca Grande hat, probably wearing my camo field jacket.

Conditions should be good for flycasting the surf at Watch Hill. I've been doing well there on plugs, some big fish are around. Pretty much a nightime game. Dropping tide gets you access to some of the better boulders to cast from. Felt soles at minimum, corkers preferable.

Weekapoug might be kinda crazy crowd-wise. Get there before first light to get a good spot. Otherwise you'll be hoping the albies run far inside. I'm thinking of staying at Watch hill till sun up, then running over to the West Wall.

Gotta make this one count! Not too many weekends left. Although there should be good striper fishing well into November.
See ya out there

rooster
10-18-2002, 05:42 PM
Striblue, et al,
Come join us out here this weekend!
HS Football and band tonight.
Steelhead are in the river and the weather is predicted to be 75 and slight overcast, no wind!
My "newest- old best friend" just got a jet sled and he is itching to get it wet.
Wine grape harvest is complete. Elk is in the freezer.
All the work is done and it is time to fish, drink and eat. Soon the quackers will be flying and I may need a fishing break!
Hope things clear up in New England.
Cheers,
Rooster
PS. HS team in 3-0 in conference (5-1 overall) and the marching band just got invited to head 400 miles south in March to play at Disneyland with Electric Light Parade.