For 50+ Year Olds [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: For 50+ Year Olds

striblue
10-16-2002, 10:43 PM
For all of you who grew up in the 1950's here is a book you will not be able to put down..the true stories of a kid who grew up in that time in Tomah ,Wisconsin. Tales of Tadpole hording, hunting snapping turtles and getting finger caught, swimming holes... Saturday movies, TV, , 4 kid baseball, School, friends, bullies, and great fishing stories... Brought back great memories of a less complex existance when the the next block was like the universe. "...All I had to do, to remember Dad's love, wherever I was, wherever he might be, was look at fish".. It's by David Bengamin and titled " The Life and Times of the Last Kid Picked"..Check out the sneakers in the cover picture of the book... You will really enjoy this, even about the author sitting next to a kid on a bus passing out his own home made card that said .." Have Gun Will Travel- Paladin--San Fransisco"... nothing needed to be said.

Penguin
10-17-2002, 12:42 AM
Professor John...
You've done it again...looks to be a good read!
Sounds a bit like the old Gene Shephard radio show...

As far as the sneakers...'still wear them...

DFix
10-17-2002, 08:01 AM
Sounds like a definite "must have" :)

Petey - nice Keds! :eek:

striblue
10-17-2002, 02:31 PM
Dave and Pete...did you have Keds or PF Flyers... I remember the PF Flyers...black ,high cut.

DFix
10-17-2002, 02:43 PM
"...make you run faster and jump higher":)

Frankly, I remember both, as well as W.T. Grant's, Converse in Malden, wherever. The best value for the buck, wherever that happened to come from.

pmflyfisher
10-17-2002, 06:31 PM
John,

Your not going to believe this but I have been to Tomah, Wisconsin several tmes. On our annual fathers day camping trips with our sons that we did for 6 years to the famous Chippewa Flowage in Northern Wisconsin we would stop at my next door neighbors father's summer house in Tomah. It was their retirement home until my neighbors father passed away about 5 years ago.

Wisconsin is like a flat Vermont but very scenic with farms and the North Woods section on the south side of Lake Superior. Beautiful and still wild country to some extant.

If you ever get the chance take a trip to Lake Superior country.

Hal

striblue
10-18-2002, 08:56 AM
Interesting... I am at the part where the family has moved to Madison..but if you know Tomah, you probably would recognize the Creeks where he fished for trout and the ponds where he fished for Blue gills...and the strip....Superior Avenue.

pmflyfisher
10-18-2002, 06:24 PM
John

Its a small wisconsin town similar to the small towns in New England, New Hampshire, Vermont etc.. Small lakes, creeks, and lots of hunting for deer and small game, etc... Woodsy and farms.

Hal