San Diego/Lake Cuyamaca trout? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: San Diego/Lake Cuyamaca trout?

HOCKEYp30
10-16-2002, 05:54 PM
Lake Cuyamaca is located in San Diego California and I have heard lots of stories about this lake and fish being caught on flys.

I want to give it a try.

What should I use? where should I fish? and should I fish from shore or a boat/float tube?

I have tried to post on www.sdfish.com but no one has answered me yet. Not to many of the fly fishers in SD are up to date on the Internet yet.

thanks
Jake

C&R:D

MJC
10-16-2002, 07:25 PM
Jake, When I was located in that area, for trout I used a floating line, 9 or 10 ft leader with a 2 lb. tippet and a #10 2X long Woolly Worm in black or olive retrieved back toward shore slowly. Also a #12 Renegade fished the same way worked very well. Simple but effective. If you don't have a fly rod a spin rod with a clear casting bubble and the same flies will get you started. The Woolly Worms also caught bass, bluegills and crappie. If you get a chance check out Doan's pond on Mount Palomar. It used to be really great, also the creek that runs out of it. You are in an area that has a wealth of good fishing even if it is overpopulated with people. Feel free to e-mail me if you want more info. Tight lines!