San Diego/Lake Cuyamaca trout? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: San Diego/Lake Cuyamaca trout?

10-16-2002, 04:54 PM
Lake Cuyamaca is located in San Diego California and I have heard lots of stories about this lake and fish being caught on flys.

I want to give it a try.

What should I use? where should I fish? and should I fish from shore or a boat/float tube?

I have tried to post on but no one has answered me yet. Not to many of the fly fishers in SD are up to date on the Internet yet.

10-16-2002, 06:25 PM
Jake, When I was located in that area, for trout I used a floating line, 9 or 10 ft leader with a 2 lb. tippet and a #10 2X long Woolly Worm in black or olive retrieved back toward shore slowly. Also a #12 Renegade fished the same way worked very well. Simple but effective. If you don't have a fly rod a spin rod with a clear casting bubble and the same flies will get you started. The Woolly Worms also caught bass, bluegills and crappie. If you get a chance check out Doan's pond on Mount Palomar. It used to be really great, also the creek that runs out of it. You are in an area that has a wealth of good fishing even if it is overpopulated with people. Feel free to e-mail me if you want more info. Tight lines!