Fly Fishing Forum banner

Temple Fork Rods - 2pc vs 4pc

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
I just picked up a TFO 9wt 2pc rod and am pleased with it so far. When I was at the shop, I also looked at the 4pc TFO rods, which were ~ $60 more than the 2pc. There are differences between the two types of rods other than just the number of sections. They almost seem like two entirely different types of rods. The finish is different (2pc is lacquered, 4pc doesn't seem to have a coating over the graphite), the reel seats are different and the fighting butts are different.

Has anyone compared the casting performance between the 2pc and 4pc? Any comments as to whether the 4pc is a "better" rod than the 2pc? (other than the convenience of having 4 pieces vs 2)

Q

#2 ·
TFO makes a number of different rods now compared to just a few years ago.Some of the models in Canada have different components than the ones in the US but they all use the same blanks(IM6) with the exception of the IM8 series.The lower end IM6 rods are available in 2 and 4 piece models and are an exceptional casting blank,with lower priced components.They are an excellent choice for a budget angler,backup rod,or beginner.The US models include the Saltwater(4pc rods),the Western series(available in multi-pc rods up to a new 6pc),and the IM8 rods which are their top of the line 4pc.In Canada instead of offering the Saltwater,they offer the exact same rod called the Ti series.It comes with a nice case and nicer components than the saltwater for around the same price.I have several models and love them all.I have found the 9ft 10wt 4pc to be the best of the bunch and think it is comparible to almost any rod out there in that size(only it is a fraction of the price).The only model I was a little dissappointed in was the 9ft 8wt 4pc in that it seemed to lack the backbone found in the 2pc of the same weight.Not really sure which I would say is "better" as the 2pc rods are available in the IM6 series only.All I know is that the multi-pc Saltwater,Ti,Western,and IM8 cast extremely well and come with nicer components than the IM6 seies.For the convenience of the multi-pc rods and the nicer components,the extra few dollars are well spent on a rod that you will use alot or want to last a long time.By the way,you won't find a better company ANYWHERE to deal with than TFO.

#3 ·
The differance is in the tapers. The 2 pc. rods are a medium fast taper while the 4 pc rods are a fast taper. The medium taper is better suited to a beginner or someone that dosn`t have a lot of experience in that it is more forgiving. The fast action rods demand better timing to get thier full potential.
Slinger

#4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I think I made the right choice with the 2 pc, given my "beginner" status. I was also looking at the 7wt rods but Harry only had the 4pc model. Guess I really should "try before I buy."

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.